LaScala powered by Sonos Amp?

Toni

Hi guys

I can get a quite good deal for a pair of Klipsch LaScala AL5 (to feed a 3200sqf space) and I have started to look into amplifiers for them.

The LaScala seller wants me to get a costly tube amplifier (after him it is the only proper way to feed the laScalas). I'm not an audophile and I will use exclusiely audio streaming, not turntables, as audio source for the laScalas.

So I'm thinking to just use a Sonos Amp to power the LaScalas. I know tha the Sonos Amp have more than enough power for la Scalas, but I would like to hear your views on it. Has anyone done this and is happy with the sound? Probably the tube amplifire sound is warmer and is the official way to go, but the convience of a Sonos Amp over a tube one is an important factor to me...

Cheers!

• Like 1

I would also consider the Powernode by  Bluesound, I am planning on this router myself.  Unless of course you already have a Sonos system in your home. 

They are a little more $$ than the Sonos, but I have read great things about the Bluesound line from this forum.

POWERNODE - Bluesound

Is the Bluesound Powernode a Sonos-Slaughtering Streaming Amp? (makeuseof.com)

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

I would also consider the Powernode by  Bluesound, I am planning on this router myself.  Unless of course you already have a Sonos system in your home. 

They are a little more $$ than the Sonos, but I have read great things about the Bluesound line from this forum.

POWERNODE - Bluesound

Is the Bluesound Powernode a Sonos-Slaughtering Streaming Amp? (makeuseof.com)

Yup, I will finally use Bluesound Powernode Edge (a new version of the Poweronode, a little cheaper but with similar specs to the classical Powernode). I have no Sonos, so I think I'll start investing in Bluesound ecosystem and will try it with LaScala.

Thanks Dude!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Toni said:

Hi guys

I can get a quite good deal for a pair of Klipsch LaScala AL5 (to feed a 3200sqf space) and I have started to look into amplifiers for them.

The LaScala seller wants me to get a costly tube amplifier (after him it is the only proper way to feed the laScalas). I'm not an audophile and I will use exclusiely audio streaming, not turntables, as audio source for the laScalas.

So I'm thinking to just use a Sonos Amp to power the LaScalas. I know tha the Sonos Amp have more than enough power for la Scalas, but I would like to hear your views on it. Has anyone done this and is happy with the sound? Probably the tube amplifire sound is warmer and is the official way to go, but the convience of a Sonos Amp over a tube one is an important factor to me...

Cheers!

i have used (and sold for a while) sonos for many years and think the user experience is easily the best.  however, the amps weren't designed with high quality speakers in mind.  i'm sure it'll work, but i don't think you'll be getting the most out of your la scalas.  the bluesound equivalent will be better, but again won't give you the best the speakers can offer.

if you can go a bit further -- up to around $1300-$1500 -- you can do a lot better.  for an amplifier, many, many folks like the yamaha a-s801 ($899) with klipsch heritage speakers.  then get either a sonos port ($450) or bluesound node ($600) as your streamer.  you can try the analog and digital outs on those into the a-s801 and see which one sounds best.  i think a combo like that would be much better.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Toni said:

The seller is an audio snob.  A 20W solid state amp with those LaScalas will rip your eyeballs out if you want to. Of course, they'll still sound glorious at more sane listening levels. Otherwise I'll bet you couldn't tell the difference regardless of what power they're connected to.

Buy the LaScalas. A report of your findings on this forum is required!

9 hours ago, Peter P. said:

The seller is an audio snob.  A 20W solid state amp with those LaScalas will rip your eyeballs out if you want to. Of course, they'll still sound glorious at more same listening levels. Otherwise I'll bet you couldn't tell the difference regardless of what power they're connected to.

Buy the LaScalas. A report of your findings on this forum is required!

You can count on the report. Thanks!