Front channel advice.

nick89rs

I'm wondering what the opinion is of using heritage speakers as the left and right fronts of a AV setup are. I ask because I'm in dire need of an upgrade for my setup (currently using some entry level Polk floorstanders) and there's a set of RF7s and Chorus IIs for sale both in 9/10 shape and the chorus set is $300 cheaper. 

• Like 1

I preferred the original RF7s for HT. It just has a punchier more "modern" sound to me, so much that I got rid of (3) LS across the front, cornwall sides and Heresy rears in favor of RF/RC 7 front, RF7 sides and RC or RS 7 rears (change those up occasionally). Heritage all day for 2 channel though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, billybob said:

The RF-7s primarily HT speakers, yet can be used for 2 channel stereo. The Chorus 2 made primarily for 2 channel, yet can be used for HT.

What center speaker and surrounds and surrounds are you going to be using, plays into your choice somewhat 

@nick89rs .

I'm not really sure, I'm really new to good sounding audio. I posted my tale in the 2 channel section but long story short I stumbled into some used khorns and I'm hooked on great sound now.  The movie room doesn't have the corners for them so they are staying in the living room 

I currently have a probably 10 year old Yamaha rx-v375 receiver,  a entry level Polk package 5.1 setup and a 70 inch QLED Samsung that we stream to using a Chromecast.

My plans were to probably stick with 5.1 for the time being and start to pick away at the components individually.  I'd like to go for broke (broke in my case being under $2000) center channel speaker because I'm tired of voices getting lost in the mix. Then find some nice floor standing front channels, then get a much nicer receiver. 

It just so happens that a set of chorus's and RF7s have come up on marketplace near me this week for less than I see either for on eBay and much much less than new. 

The sub goes woof and the rear channels don't seem to contribute a lot so they are of lesser importance to me right now. 

Edit: for clarity 

Edited by nick89rs
  • Like 2

Well then, congrats on the Khorns. If were me, and planning on an HT,

5.1 or 3.1, looking like a different AVR in your future. If you get either pair, would listen first with the Yamaha AVR first..as the Klipsch may revive the sound. And, since your leaning heavily into HT, would likely go with the 7s as at least 2 or 3 Klipsch centers come to mind as matching closely in the Reference line for clarity and timbre.

If doing 2 channel stereo at times, the Yamaha stereo mode should sound decent with either model. Only problem with the Chorus and a matching center is, maybe a KV-4 or a C-7, as some not liking the Klipsch Academy as much.

Would be abit of a difficult choice for me, but, either would work well enough for me as a center match not as important to me.

Do not let either pass you by if a decent deal for you.

Others here will have more and different... @nick89rs

• Like 1

I have Heresys all around including center speaker, it’s awesome for home theater.

The only issue you’ll run in to is there never was or is a center speaker made to go with any Heritage speakers unless you go with a match to your left and right like I’m doing or with a similar three-way Klipsch as a center.

With the RF-7s the RC-7 is the matching traditional horizontal center.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nick89rs said:

My plans were to probably stick with 5.1 for the time being and start to pick away at the components individually.  I'd like to go for broke (broke in my case being under $2000) center channel speaker

I'd think RF-7s and RC-7 would be close to that price and hard to beat for a front Home Theater soundstage...That's what I've enjoyed for over 2 decades and listening again now, :)

• Like 1

If both truly are at a great price, buy both and decide which to keep after lengthy auditioning!  I had ben using 3 LaScala for a long time and never thought I'd change.  A good buy on Khorns came up, so I grabbed them.  My audition may last decades before I make a decision.  😄

It depends how how you "playback" both music and HT.

No Channel is more important than the center in HT and 5 Channel Sound.

I have my best speakers on the center position and the other speakers

really provide just sound effects and filler.

If you don't believe me, play anything and turn off the center.

I cannot see the point of spending thousands of dollars on mains

in a HT set up when they do not play the main sound track that

is assigned to the center.

• Like 1