Restoration Project Klipsch KG 3.5 (KM 4) worth to do ?

MicroMara

2 hours ago, OO1 said:

there's no such thing as a carbon graphite cone in  the Tweeter diaphragm  of the KG-3.5 ....BTW   there are no cones in tweeter diaphragms  .

You are right, it is a polymer compression driver, the carbon graphite cone is on the K 1002 K driver

vergebung.gif.186ceef55278ac09700c9c1e6f2f60dd.gif

• Haha 1

@MicroMara

I had the chance to make a newer recording with the KG-3.5. Without any adjustment yet, I hear a lot of good changes with the speakers and the amp. Its a bit more forgivingly balanced and clearer in mid-range and highs. 

Guten Abend..!

6C33C-b 01-14-2023 klipsch KG-3.5 speaker 14 ft. away Tascam DR-40x handheld recorder on air.
Don't You Lose My Number - playback video.
[IMG]

6C33C-b 01-14-2023 klipsch KG-3.5 speaker 14 ft. away Tascam DR-40x handheld recorder on air.
Broken - playback video.
[IMG]

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CCG said:

@MicroMara

I had the chance to make a newer recording with the KG-3.5. Without any adjustment yet, I hear a lot of good changes with the speakers and the amp. Its a bit more forgivingly balanced and clearer in mid-range and highs. 

Guten Abend..!

6C33C-b 01-14-2023 klipsch KG-3.5 speaker 14 ft. away Tascam DR-40x handheld recorder on air.
Don't You Lose My Number - playback video.
[IMG]

6C33C-b 01-14-2023 klipsch KG-3.5 speaker 14 ft. away Tascam DR-40x handheld recorder on air.
Broken - playback video.
[IMG]

I liked the Collins life demo very much , Depeche Mode has a little industrial metal sound, but that´s typical for their productions. Overall I can say the KG 3.5 sound much more better than the first audio examples, even the signal response seem to be much faster now . I got ally my caps and resistors here as well , the heavy bitumex plates for the baseplates will be delivered tomorrow as well, so I think to finish the restauration till end of this coming week. Will show you than .  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CCG said:

@MicroMara

Hi,

I was going to ask you what is the right way to fix the KG-3.5 cabinet stain on top. Looks like someone put a flower pot in it for quite a while. ☺️

image.thumb.jpeg.197594c9579a6cc1a06c274d83cdc473.jpeg

Yes I see them ....you may ask  @OO1 , as he has a lot of akowledgement with wood works. All I can say in this matter try to oil them with a clear wood oil, but it looks like the whole surface must be revised . 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MicroMara said:

I liked the Collins life demo very much , Depeche Mode has a little industrial metal sound, but that´s typical for their productions. Overall I can say the KG 3.5 sound much more better than the first audio examples, even the signal response seem to be much faster now . I got ally my caps and resistors here as well , the heavy bitumex plates for the baseplates will be delivered tomorrow as well, so I think to finish the restauration till end of this coming week. Will show you than .  

This place "Berlin's Waldbühne" is probably on the top 5 best sounding stadium that I heard on record. Also the Santa Barbara Bowl in California is another one. So when you come to visit US, that is the place to go.

You know when I was young, I fell in love with Falco's music. His ability to put his emotions in to the track recording. That is a very rare talent. When we go to Europe, I will visit him in Vienna.

"Serious Hits… Live! is the name of Phil Collins' 1990 live album, released on vinyl, cassette and CD. It is also the title of the 2003 DVD video release of his concert at Berlin's Waldbühne on 15 July 1990. (The original 1990 VHS and Betamax version of the video was titled Seriously Live.) The songs on the CD version are taken from various concerts during the Seriously, Live! World Tour. At the Brit Awards in 1992, the album brought Collins a nomination for British Male Artist."

SeriousHitsLive.jpg

Edited by CCG
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, CCG said:

This place "Berlin's Waldbühne" is probably on the top 5 best sounding stadium that I heard on record. Also the Santa Barbara Bowl in California is another one. So when you come to visit US, that is the place to go.

You know when I was young, I fell in love with Falco's music. His ability to put his emotions in to the track recording. That is a very rare talent. When we go to Europe, I will visit him in Vienna.

"Serious Hits… Live! is the name of Phil Collins' 1990 live album, released on vinyl, cassette and CD. It is also the title of the 2003 DVD video release of his concert at Berlin's Waldbühne on 15 July 1990. (The original 1990 VHS and Betamax version of the video was titled Seriously Live.) The songs on the CD version are taken from various concerts during the Seriously, Live! World Tour. At the Brit Awards in 1992, the album brought Collins a nomination for British Male Artist."

SeriousHitsLive.jpg

Falco is a legend in the german speaking countries like austria , in some parts of switzerland and germany of course . Yes Sir  I have the Phil Collins Live CD as well , it´s brilliant as you said .

Oil and salt against water stains in wood I found this in the www.

In a small bowl, mix a little oil (sunflower oil or olive oil) with a pinch of salt until you get a creamy mixture. This mixture is then rubbed into the wet spot until the discoloration is no longer visible. Then treat the surfaces with a colorless wood polish , then you can also polish up the whole wood veneers from both speaker cabinets .

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MicroMara said:

Falco is a legend in the german speaking countries like austria , in some parts of switzerland and germany of course . Yes Sir  I have the Phil Collins Live CD as well , it´s brilliant as you said .

Oil and salt against water stains in wood I found this in the www.

In a small bowl, mix a little oil (sunflower oil or olive oil) with a pinch of salt until you get a creamy mixture. This mixture is then rubbed into the wet spot until the discoloration is no longer visible. Then treat the surfaces with a colorless wood polish , then you can also polish up the whole wood veneers from both speaker cabinets .

That sounds great and will try that tomorrow. 

Excited to see your speaker project soon. Its really fun to work on these speakers and and appreciate its sound. You've done a real nice job in and out. I was blown away with insulation, the outside finish, the wiring and banana input sockets. That's exactly what I will do on the inside. The outside, I'll just try my best to clean it up real good. I really like the butter scotch color. Please post in the when whenever you have the chance. And thank you so much for being so helpful and sharing your thoughts.

CCG

• Like 1

Gladly would have completed the X-Over restoration with original Klipsch JEM products , but I am european and not supplied from the USA. For this reason I had to choose German, English and Japanese products.  

It´s done

8 hours of concentrated work , but with all calm and serenity ! Is always important in such work.

So , there's now the finished X-Over : each 1 x Mundorf copper-nickel resistor 3.3R/10W , 1 x Clarity Cap 6.2 uF , 1 x Clarity Cap 8.2 uF , 2 x Jahn SilverMica a 1000pF and each 1 x Nichicon Muse Bi-Polar Elko 22 uf with each 2 x Nichicon Bi-Polar Muse 1 uF soldered in parallel, needed yes 24 uF total value. The Nichicon fine gold are only polarized to get, so I could not use them.

1020207939_KG3.5Xover.thumb.jpg.c38a51e3a1071615d6c38a1c9092dd28.jpg

1824879127_KG3.5Xover1.thumb.jpg.691a4dc4afd98f446571086b9ac4ce8e.jpg

2121549768_KG3.5Xover3.thumb.jpg.5981823fe3e76ee129bd7c814fba443c.jpg

Connected with my own DIY Speaker Cables

808459467_KG3.5Xover4.thumb.jpg.54be91cef28939ea5005ae39983cccdf.jpg

91126198_KG3.5Xover5.thumb.jpg.0c01695262d1876237b31e0208dbb702.jpg

Now they can play in my big listening room . The large RF7 EvoTec are now in another room . Sonically I would not write anything about it yet, they run technically flawless, but need a few days to develop their sound image.

1161008870_KG3.5Xover6.jpg.4d9c257d105da7fc6f0d126770a0fffa.jpg

• Like 4

On 1/15/2023 at 5:22 AM, CCG said:

Looks like someone put a flower pot in it for quite a while. ☺️

That I'll NEVER understand!  Must have come from a marriage made in heaven.  "Sure honey get the speakers."  The next time you leave and come home to crank it.  "Don't you think my plant looks nice up there???"    😂

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, MicroMara said:

Gladly would have completed the X-Over restoration with original Klipsch JEM products , but I am european and not supplied from the USA. For this reason I had to choose German, English and Japanese products.  

It´s done

8 hours of concentrated work , but with all calm and serenity ! Is always important in such work.

So , there's now the finished X-Over : each 1 x Mundorf copper-nickel resistor 3.3R/10W , 1 x Clarity Cap 6.2 uF , 1 x Clarity Cap 8.2 uF , 2 x Jahn SilverMica a 1000pF and each 1 x Nichicon Muse Bi-Polar Elko 22 uf with each 2 x Nichicon Bi-Polar Muse 1 uF soldered in parallel, needed yes 24 uF total value. The Nichicon fine gold are only polarized to get, so I could not use them.

1020207939_KG3.5Xover.thumb.jpg.c38a51e3a1071615d6c38a1c9092dd28.jpg

1824879127_KG3.5Xover1.thumb.jpg.691a4dc4afd98f446571086b9ac4ce8e.jpg

2121549768_KG3.5Xover3.thumb.jpg.5981823fe3e76ee129bd7c814fba443c.jpg

Connected with my own DIY Speaker Cables

808459467_KG3.5Xover4.thumb.jpg.54be91cef28939ea5005ae39983cccdf.jpg

91126198_KG3.5Xover5.thumb.jpg.0c01695262d1876237b31e0208dbb702.jpg

Now they can play in my big listening room . The large RF7 EvoTec are now in another room . Sonically I would not write anything about it yet, they run technically flawless, but need a few days to develop their sound image.

1161008870_KG3.5Xover6.jpg.4d9c257d105da7fc6f0d126770a0fffa.jpg

Wow... Excellent detailed work and sitting in a very nice setup. I agree and the speaker system with new components needs to initially breathe. The first time I ran my cabinet and amp since they're in a break-in period, I hear a mild distortion and a "boomy" delayed sound. Now the distortion is gone and the speakers are becoming fast. Its a good thing I been recording and didn't make any adjustments on my systems settings and now I can track the progress easy. What I will do next 2 weeks is make a flint stand like yours. 

Congrats and it a nice looking speaker and a wonderful job. Looking forward to see more of your works!

Thanks, CCG

Edited by CCG
  • Like 2

Had to disassemble the KG 3.5 again today , because I finished the last inside cabinet works by optimizing the subbass area arround the front fireing bass reflex port. Therefore I used Bitumex heavy plates which are glued on the base plate and beside the X-Over Terminal at the rear wall 

Kg3.5Innen2.thumb.jpg.87ea4c641f1c2657bbc870574e65d1b1.jpg

800154576_KG3.5Innen1.thumb.jpg.379367da860f71fa51ae114cc4e63480.jpg

• Like 2

Before todays disassembling they were playing close to 48 hours Non-Stop with my Cayin Monotubes GU29 Doubble Tetrodes ( 50W/8Ohm ) as well as the Transistor Pre Amplifier Marantz PM11-S3 . After the last works were finised I put an electronic CD from the swiss Duo " Yello " into my SACDP ( Marantz SA11-S3 )

Yello1.jpg.db51c003bb7985b50f647a4e69262243.jpg

I cranked it up to 75 dB . What to say after all these works inkl. the X-Over Resaturation. The only " mod " I did were the by-passed caps with silvermicas .

If you gonna cloes your eyes you won´t believe that such little speaker can perform on this level, far over of my personal expectaions. An room filling 3-D Soundstage, a perfect Resolution, tonal so well balanced, silky warm Hights, Brilliance and Mids. An unbelievable dry Midbass, upper Bass > Bass > Subbass they can punsch so powerfull . They haven´t played on this perfect level before the restauration , they had an impressive sound before , but can´t be compared in view to all audible aspects after it´s restauration .

You ask me if it´s worth to do these works on these vintage speakers , without any doubts I can recommend everybody to make the efforts and to invest the bucks into them. This investment isn´t in relation to the result . Speakers with such an audio performance will cost easily more the 3 K $ / € today.

So far my first impressions ......

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, MicroMara said:

After this was done I polished the black ash veneer , looking somehow like unboxed 😂

KG3.5Veneer3.thumb.jpg.3ba9f6f5ad5347d514115170803da964.jpg

KG3.5Veneer.thumb.jpg.eec846d6e850580441ade62a642dbfad.jpg

KG3.5Veneer1.thumb.jpg.d017f634d67e9d5f2ad72a444d730532.jpg

Beautiful..! Love the work detail..

Love the amp too. That's gotta be an easy 50 watts each side? Wishing winter is over so I can do the same painting here in my house. I mean the cabinet.

Had the chance to record a bit tonight. Hopefully more this weekend.

CCG.

6C33C-B 01-19-2023 klipsch 8 inch mid tower speaker 14 ft. away Tascam DR-40x handheld recorder on air.
Since I Fell For You - playback video
[IMG]

Edited by CCG

22 hours ago, MicroMara said:

Before todays disassembling they were playing close to 48 hours Non-Stop with my Cayin Monotubes GU29 Doubble Tetrodes ( 50W/8Ohm ) as well as the Transistor Pre Amplifier Marantz PM11-S3 . After the last works were finised I put an electronic CD from the swiss Duo " Yello " into my SACDP ( Marantz SA11-S3 )

Yello1.jpg.db51c003bb7985b50f647a4e69262243.jpg

I cranked it up to 75 dB . What to say after all these works inkl. the X-Over Resaturation. The only " mod " I did were the by-passed caps with silvermicas .

If you gonna cloes your eyes you won´t believe that such little speaker can perform on this level, far over of my personal expectaions. An room filling 3-D Soundstage, a perfect Resolution, tonal so well balanced, silky warm Hights, Brilliance and Mids. An unbelievable dry Midbass, upper Bass > Bass > Subbass they can punsch so powerfull . They haven´t played on this perfect level before the restauration , they had an impressive sound before , but can´t be compared in view to all audible aspects after it´s restauration .

You ask me if it´s worth to do these works on these vintage speakers , without any doubts I can recommend everybody to make the efforts and to invest the bucks into them. This investment isn´t in relation to the result . Speakers with such an audio performance will cost easily more the 3 K $ / € today.

So far my first impressions ......

Agree...! In the beginning I was a bit hesitant with the liter volume of the box for I want a bigger size. This speaker was on the market for a while until I finally said, I'm gonna get this one. It turned out to be one of the best decision I made in high fidelity. Just like what you said, the one thing I really like about this speaker its got a big sound for a medium size speaker and very roomy at low volume... The magic is the high volume and it doesn't even sound loud and its all music coming out. The bass and mid bass is to die for. I'm still observing mine too and it will take a while to make adjustments.

BTW.... I notice you amp right away upon first glace, I been so curious about those tubes for 6 years now.

Cayin Monotubes GU29 Double Tetrodes

Edited by CCG

9 hours ago, CCG said:

Beautiful..! Love the work detail..

Love the amp too. That's gotta be an easy 50 watts each side? Wishing winter is over so I can do the same painting here in my house. I mean the cabinet.

Had the chance to record a bit tonight. Hopefully more this weekend.

CCG.

6C33C-B 01-19-2023 klipsch 8 inch mid tower speaker 14 ft. away Tascam DR-40x handheld recorder on air.
Since I Fell For You - playback video
[IMG]

so pitty that I couldn´t listen tp Al Jarreau , my browser doesn´t open your link, got close to the whole record collection from him. Dire Straits was very nice to listen to over m headphones . You have several Eq´s in your gear ,  are they used for room correction ? or is the recorded sound image completely linear mode ?

BTW. I'm getting more than RF noise in my system. I been using fans on tube amp for a very long time and this is the first time I heard it that's why my recording has a hiss sound in the background. My amp still has power backs up current after when you shut it off for a minute due to the big capacitors. When I switched the fan off lastly,  I heard a clock sound on both fans.. 👿

image.thumb.jpeg.9953aee7a00df39e1762ce5f9b7302d6.jpeg

15 minutes ago, CCG said:

Agree...! In the beginning I was a bit hesitant with the liter volume of the box for I want a bigger size. This speaker was on the market for a while until I finally said, I'm gonna get this one. It turned out to be one of the best decision I made in high fidelity. Just like what you said, the one thing I really like about this speaker its got a big sound for a medium size speaker and very roomy at low volume... The magic is the high volume and it doesn't even sound loud and its all music coming out. The bass and mid bass is to die for. I'm still observing mine too and it will take a while to make adjustments.

BTW.... I notice you amp right away upon first glace, I been so curious about those tubes for 6 years now.

Cayin Monotubes GU29 Double Tetrodes

Yes the GU29 / 829 Monos were refurbishes one and a half year ago , new transformers, caps, elkos, tubes , the whole programm , even this was worth to do