Restoration Project Klipsch KG 3.5 (KM 4) worth to do ?

MicroMara

1 minute ago, CCG said:

BTW. I'm getting more than RF noise in my system. I been using fans on tube amp for a very long time and this is the first time I heard it that's why my recording has a hiss sound in the background. My amp still has power backs up current after when you shut it off for a minute due to the big capacitors. When I switched the fan off lastly,  I heard a clock sound on both fans.. 👿

image.thumb.jpeg.9953aee7a00df39e1762ce5f9b7302d6.jpeg

😂 do they get such hot that you need two fans to cool them down ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

so pitty that I couldn´t listen tp Al Jarreau , my browser doesn´t open your link, got close to the whole record collection from him. Dire Straits was very nice to listen to over m headphones . You have several Eq´s in your gear ,  are they used for room correction ? or is the recorded sound image completely linear mode ?

In this demo I'm using it. I will make another one this weekend without it.

I'm trying to scoop the midrange down a bit. When I hit the bypass, it sounds pretty close to the same with a controlled midrange. But my EQ seup doesnt work well on re-masterd copies. 

• Thanks 1

Another thing that you may consider to think about ..Your KG 3,5 standing direktly with the cabinet rear side on the backwalls in your listenig space , did you ever changed that , did you toe in your speaker in direction to your listening position as well ?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

😂 do they get such hot that you need two fans to cool them down ?

Not really sure yet.... Its just a force of habit and started using fans back 1986 when I was  still using a dynaco amp. Since then, every tube amp I own, I put one in it...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CCG said:

Not really sure yet.... Its just a force of habit and started using fans back 1986 when I was  still using a dynaco amp. Since then, every tube amp I own, I put one in it...

Got a Dynaco as well , a PAS 4  completey modified , I luv him 🤩

Pas4-3.thumb.jpg.c917f2efddf0da46338fa6972deef3ce.jpg

Pas4.thumb.jpg.06cc419788f9014ed06f4650e9319378.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MicroMara said:

Another thing that you may consider to think about ..Your KG 3,5 standing direktly with the cabinet rear side on the backwalls in your listenig space , did you ever changed that , did you toe in your speaker in direction to your listening position as well ?

Agree in the back wall.

and also I havent position the speaker yet too.

Looking from the picture, the left side with thew back wall has more bass than the right side which you're 100% right. A week ago, I switched the speakers from left to right and same effect.. I'll move the whole system to the left.

8 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

Got a Dynaco as well , a PAS 4  completey modified , I luv him 🤩

Pas4-3.thumb.jpg.c917f2efddf0da46338fa6972deef3ce.jpg

Pas4.thumb.jpg.06cc419788f9014ed06f4650e9319378.jpg

I didnt know that Dynaco made a more later model PAS series. Thats the first time I've seen one. Very nice and I'll take your word for it that it sound excellent. Does your preamp has "2" tape in / tape out? 

Edited by CCG
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, CCG said:

Agree in the back wall.

and also I havent position the speaker yet too.

Looking from the picture, the left side with thew back wall has more bass than the right side which you're 100% right. A week ago, I switched the speakers from left to right and same effect.. I'll move the whole system to the left.

ja it depends on the room depth and wide  in view to the listening position

I opend another thread in the KC about the influence of room acoustics on the listening experience , here´s the link

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CCG said:

I didnt know that Dynaco made a more later model PAS series. Thats the first time I've seen one. Very nice and I'll take your word for it that it sound excellent. Does your preamp has "2" tape in / tape out? 

YES ! 2 x Tapes , Phono, CD ,Tuner , Aux , Video , 2 x in-outputs external power amps and in & outputs for an eq as well 

• Like 1

Just now, MicroMara said:

YES ! 2 x Tapes , Phono, CD ,Tuner , Aux , Video , 2 x in-outputs external power amps and in & outputs for an eq as well 

That's good to know. Having 2 tape monitor settings is really important in my system setup because I use several recorders.  Especially now the new released albums in the US is not as great sounding as it was back in the 60's to the late 80's

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CCG said:

Yeah George Michael was a top pop musician , a great voice as well. Got the Album " Older " which is my favour. Magnificent sound image with the 300B over my headphones , thanx a lot . Mine is still in the break in periode and getting better day by day as well . 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MicroMara said:

Yeah George Michael was a top pop musician , a great voice as well. Got the Album " Older " which is my favour. Magnificent sound image with the 300B over my headphones , thanx a lot . Mine is still in the break in periode and getting better day by day as well . 

I need your experience and advise in our little project. This is going to be the very last change and in future. My final change is replacing the 8 inch woofer to a paper cone speaker. I just like the sound of the paper that's all.

This speaker below is just an example and I was curious about this and you can read all the specs. Do you think I should try that?

PS: The input sensitivity of this speaker is 91db vs our cabinet is 94db Bu I have an Lpad circuit and I can balance it. Thanks you. CCG

Full-Range 8" Speaker Pioneer Type B20FU20-51FW

Main product image for GRS 8FR-8 Full-Range 8" Speaker Pioneer Type B20F 292-430

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, CCG said:

I need your experience and advise in our little project. This is going to be the very last change and in future. My final change is replacing the 8 inch woofer to a paper cone speaker. I just like the sound of the paper that's all.

This speaker below is just an example and I was curious about this and you can read all the specs. Do you think I should try that?

PS: The input sensitivity of this speaker is 91db vs our cabinet is 94db Bu I have an Lpad circuit and I can balance it. Thanks you. CCG

Full-Range 8" Speaker Pioneer Type B20FU20-51FW

Main product image for GRS 8FR-8 Full-Range 8" Speaker Pioneer Type B20F 292-430

You can´t use this chassis. It is a full-range chassis with an FQ from 39 Hz > 16 KHz. A full-range loudspeaker driver is defined as one that reproduces as much of the audible frequency range as possible, within the limits imposed by the physical constraints of a particular design. The frequency range of these drivers is maximized by, among other things, the use of a whizzer cone. Depending on the manufacturer, these drivers have a frequency response from about 40 Hz to 20 KHz.  

full-range.thumb.jpg.aa8116909d49b494a5c57117839306ad.jpg

But you can use an  8 Ohm Dayton Audio RS225P-8A 8" Reference Paper Woofer , but they have 6 screw holes & the originals only have 4 , you may screw new 2 holes into the cabinet . They cost approx. $ 70 each .

Here´s the link

1524779395_DaytonKG.35Ersatzchassis.thumb.jpg.3af5a44b44ed33294eb04aa85c27104a.jpg

https://www.daytonaudio.com/product/1420/rs225p-8a-8-reference-paper-woofer-8-ohm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

You can´t use this chassis. It is a full-range chassis with an FQ from 39 Hz > 16 KHz. A full-range loudspeaker driver is defined as one that reproduces as much of the audible frequency range as possible, within the limits imposed by the physical constraints of a particular design. The frequency range of these drivers is maximized by, among other things, the use of a whizzer cone. Depending on the manufacturer, these drivers have a frequency response from about 40 Hz to 20 KHz.  

full-range.thumb.jpg.aa8116909d49b494a5c57117839306ad.jpg

But you can use an  8 Ohm Dayton Audio RS225P-8A 8" Reference Paper Woofer , but they have 6 screw holes & the originals only have 4 , you may screw new 2 holes into the cabinet . They cost approx. $ 70 each .

Here´s the link

1524779395_DaytonKG.35Ersatzchassis.thumb.jpg.3af5a44b44ed33294eb04aa85c27104a.jpg

https://www.daytonaudio.com/product/1420/rs225p-8a-8-reference-paper-woofer-8-ohm

Okay that's more clear... So on my quest I should be looking for a "woofer speaker" not "mid-bass speakers" if I'm correct.

4 minutes ago, CCG said:

Okay that's more clear... So on my quest I should be looking for a "woofer speaker" not "mid-bass speakers" if I'm correct.

The crossover frequency of the KG 3.5 is 1,800 Hz, the Dayton has a frequency response of 7 KHz to 30 Hz and fits perfectly into the cabinet volume of about 70 liters of the KG 3.5 It is a mid-woofer like the origin K 1002 K also

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

@MicroMara

Great to hear. The Can believe this speaker sound so warm and clear combining with the horn gives you that right amount of classy sound even on small to big room.  Cant wait to play it tomorrow for I'm off. Its great to listen to these home hifi stereo. The down side is, I cant stand listening to my car stereo anymore unless they bring back the original 1980's Alpine, Grundig, Blaupunkt, Fujitsu...

The good news is the American made Rockford Fosgate amp is still in its old school formula and the price is in reach. Enjoy.

I wanna give you an update on the new reel to reel that I got just waiting for the oil. I'll pot it in the proper threading later on. Take care.

• Like 2