🏆HOLY GRAIL - The Golden Jubilee $125,000.00 Tryon, North Carolina

jjptkd

30 minutes ago, OO1 said:

no one is asking you  to sell the horns , but  how about  loaning  the  horns for an  Exhibit /Event  at the  klipsch Museum .

I don't display my k403's as they are my daily drivers. They have the driver PWK picked out the B&C DE82TN. Trust me the museum has plenty of K403's. They have some beautiful horns out of bloodwood.. I think. Then they have other examples. Have you been to the museum? They have the consumer V1. It is beautiful. Roy and Klipsch museum already has K403s... It will be fun to see the rare stuff come out for display at the museum over time...

The drivers fit fine. Sound fine. Measure fine. Zako aka Maron didn't give them to me I bought them but wth in my book $500 is a giveaway.

It will be fun to see where this auction ends up very strange....

• Moderators
5 hours ago, OO1 said:

no one is asking you  to sell the horns , but  how about  loaning  the  horns for an  Exhibit /Event  at the  klipsch Museum .

I'm asking him to sell the horns, donate the cash, and we will get him two 403s that don't have Ron Popiel spray on hair on them. Then we can rebuild PWK's Ampex 352. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Travis In Austin said:

I'm asking him to sell the horns, donate the cash, and we will get him two 403s that don't have Ron Popiel spray on hair on them. Then we can rebuild PWK's Ampex 352. 

Well they would still come form the same place lol..

I'll make a deal with you. You can have all my Klipsch speakers when I'm dead 8-) All donated to the museum unless Stacey wants them lol....

• Moderators
4 hours ago, seti said:

That is a hell of a job. How many Ampeces do we have that need to be restored?

Well the Museum has PWK's 351, Transport and mike amps on a bridge. Jim Haynes, a Charter Trustee donated two "for parts" Ampex 350 or 351 (not sure which) that we can harvest parts from. Have Jim show you the next time you are down. 

The older 350 utilized metal enveloped tubes like the 12SJ7 Pentodes which were used throughout much of the electronics and only the 6C5/6J5 triode and the 6SN7 dual triode were used in the record circuit driver. The first stage playback head preamplifier tube was also indicated as a special " select" version which all had to be independently tested each for lowest noise before it was appropriate for playback purposes. It also utilized all point to point wiring in the electronics.

The 351 was a huge departure, it utilized the new 12AX7/ECC83 and the 12AT7 dual triode tubes. They were much lower in noise (as all triodes are in comparison to pentodes) and were in small glass envelopes. They were also mounted on those newfangled printed circuit board thingies!

Can you see what we have?

I have my Dad's MR-71, an ATR 102, and a 360? (it came out of our Ampex console we had in our house from about '62 until the early 70)s. It was given to my Dad, they sold for more than most cars cost back then. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Travis In Austin said:

Well the Museum has PWK's 351, Transport and mike amps on a bridge. Jim Haynes, a Charter Trustee donated two "for parts" Ampex 350 or 351 (not sure which) that we can harvest parts from. Have Jim show you the next time you are down. 

The older 350 utilized metal enveloped tubes like the 12SJ7 Pentodes which were used throughout much of the electronics and only the 6C5/6J5 triode and the 6SN7 dual triode were used in the record circuit driver. The first stage playback head preamplifier tube was also indicated as a special " select" version which all had to be independently tested each for lowest noise before it was appropriate for playback purposes. It also utilized all point to point wiring in the electronics.

The 351 was a huge departure, it utilized the new 12AX7/ECC83 and the 12AT7 dual triode tubes. They were much lower in noise (as all triodes are in comparison to pentodes) and were in small glass envelopes. They were also mounted on those newfangled printed circuit board thingies!

Can you see what we have?

I have my Dad's MR-71, an ATR 102, and a 360? (it came out of our Ampex console we had in our house from about '62 until the early 70)s. It was given to my Dad, they sold for more than most cars cost back then. 

I was supposed to go down Friday morning to show Jim a new scanner I have been testing. Work got in the way. I'll maybe make it next Friday. I did some work on a Bogen DB230 for the museum and will be returning it. Nice little piece 6DW5 outputs with DC filaments.

Do we know an expert Ampex restorer? These need a special touch for sure. The PWK mods should be well documented.

Next time I am in Austin I would love to see your RTR stash.