🏆HOLY GRAIL - The Golden Jubilee $125,000.00 Tryon, North Carolina

jjptkd

6 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I could only imagine how much better the K403 is. 

Wish I would have known about these :( even though they are "unobtainable."  Would have been a nice replacement for K-510's on my KPT-904's. Replaced the K-510's with a JBL HF section ( JBL 2384 horns w/2451 drivers) :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Islander said:

From everything I've read on the Forum, the 402 is the better horn, which is why so few 403s were made.

I wouldn't say better as it is hard to beat the k402. Think of the K403 as a k402 with collapsing verticals. The reason I love the horn is it sounds great and has Roy and PWK's hand in the design. Pretty cool. When you hear the new Jubilee it is undoubtedly the state of the art in sound. I've never heard anything better.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, seti said:

I wouldn't say better as it is hard to beat the k402. Think of the K403 as a k402 with collapsing verticals. The reason I love the horn is it sounds great and has Roy and PWK's hand in the design. Pretty cool. When you hear the new Jubilee it is undoubtedly the state of the art in sound. I've never heard anything better.

Is that what you meant, or were you referring to the 403 in the first sentence?  Or did you think I was saying that the 403 was the better horn, because that’s not what I said.  I believe that the 402 is the better horn.

• Moderators
17 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

But since the speakers were commissioned by Mrs. Klipsch and built by someone that had worked in the Hope factory, from Paul's Personal Drawings, I guess that the new seller's advertising ploy is mostly true, while, perhaps being vague via incomplete information worse than mine. Incidentally, that guy also has 2 pairs of Khorns for sale at a shade less than $6,000, so Who knows? 

That's not accurate. 

Roy showed Paul the curves of the bass bins (he had to get the frequency up remember?). PWK said, "show me the bass bin." He showed PWK the bass bin, PWK said "how soon can we go into production." Roy drafted them. They wrote an AES article about them together. 

Roy knows the whole story, in every detail about the two pairs, the crossovers, etc. That may be what Klem told W.C., but not too sure Klem really knows anything about them.

Travis

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Travis In Austin said:

That's not accurate. 

Roy showed Paul the curves of the bass bins (he had to get the frequency up remember?). PWK said, "show me the bass bin." He showed PWK the bass bin, PWK said "how soon can we go into production." Roy drafted them. They wrote an AES article about them together. 

Roy knows the whole story, in every detail about the two pairs, the crossovers, etc. That may be what Klem told W.C., but not too sure Klem really knows anything about them.

Travis

Thanks for contributing to the accuracy of the story I got sucked into with limited, multi-party, misinformation. All I did was to share my Experience as a "non-insider" who spent a few days, 10 years ago, with a Klipsch DEALER at the time, asking for my help on a special project of his making.

I am not Rigma or MikeBSA, but I was part of the same privileged group as you, by invitation, in 2007. It was easy to hear how great the U-Jubes were, but especially the K-402 horns on top of the MWM, which caused me to part with my beloved Khorns and Center LaScala 15 years ago. I still enjoy the journey.

All of my posts here have been in the spirit of keeping it real and factual as much as possible. I'm one of those who is not afraid of the truth, wherever it comes from. I don't mind being corrected with facts from others here, and I'm also not afraid of calling out others' Bullshit when appropriate, when my information refutes the worthless opinions so prevalent on the internet in general, with no data or experience to back it up.

So basically, I find the asking price of the Goldens to be outrageous, with like kind reaction here. On the other hand you gotta admire the guy's intestinal fortitude in asking that price for a legendary product WITHOUT the benefit of the inside knowledge, and superior memory recall,  so many here possess.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, The Dude said:

Though a slightly different design, the K403 always reminded me of the EV HP 640.  Knowing how good the EV HP 640 is, I could only imagine how much better the K403 is. 

Newer & Lower Price: Electro-Voice Horns: HP640 - Garage Sale - The Klipsch  Audio Community

Got 3 of these babies in storage! It was the best of the EV horns (had them all), which were also like by DJK, our deceased pal.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Got 3 of these babies in storage! It was the best of the EV horns (had them all), which were also like by DJK, our deceased pal.

I've had 2 sets twice but needing the storage space and money after acquiring K402s, had to sell them. DJK os the reason I tried them, I preferred them over the big 9040s.  As Seti mentioned the 402 has been hard to beat, but for the price horns like 640 and 403 would be hard to beat unless you can get your hands on 402s and have space, then there is no question to ask, as its always the 402. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, The Dude said:

unless you can get your hands on 402s and have space, then there is no question to ask, as its always the 402. 

I'm on my 3rd pair of used ones. I never should have sold the second pair! LOL! They help to fuel my belief and propagation of the expression "The bigger the horn, the better the horn" when you add up all the variables that yield superior sound propagation. Yet few people are willing to pay the price for their realization! Whether it's dollars, space required, or aesthetic sacrifices. They would rather put up with low volume, high distortion, small, direct radiators that Push air out rather than squeeze it out with higher sensitivity and accuracy of transient response that sound more like live instrument, especially in the bass department, which dictates big and expensive being the best for that quality level.

12 hours ago, Islander said:

Is that what you meant, or were you referring to the 403 in the first sentence?  Or did you think I was saying that the 403 was the better horn, because that’s not what I said.  I believe that the 402 is the better horn.

There are different horns with slightly different goals. The k403 needs a little less eq but with the jubilee having a dsp that is a moot point. I like em both. K402 is now on Klipsch state of the art Jubilee is all that needs to be said.

• Like 2