Could use advice on choosing a pair of mains (new Forte IVs vs. used La Scalas, or Klipschorn) and an amplifier. Use for both streaming music and in a 5.1.4 system.

indocti discant

On 10/12/2022 at 5:10 PM, the real Duke Spinner said:

Just get the KH

save years of trading up

This is pretty good advice, I was never completely satisfied until I got a set of  Klipschorns . The Khorn and Lascala represent a different class of speaker, they provide big  unmistakable scale and authority ,it’s a quality that other heritage speakers  can’t fully provide . I think that you will be pleased with your decision 🤓

• Like 2

On 10/12/2022 at 7:38 PM, indocti discant said:

Again thank you all for the responses. The other part to all of this is not really knowing what is the appropriate pricing for things. 

And yes, I'd love the KH - I think only the Jubilee could top them. 

I'm currently looking at a pair out in Fremont. Person replaced the woofers (based on Klipsch's suggestions) but said he needs to test them to make sure it isn't a cross over issue. Visually they look great. And I think the KHs (LS also) are such beautiful pieces (and we love our wood furniture) so they also double as that. The only issue with the KHs is (as you can see from the pics) is the lack of proper corners. 

I think no matter what the first issue for me is simply deciding if for the budget which (IDK pulling out the air) is $3-4k is either new Forte IVs, or used (good condition cabinets) La Scalas or KHs. 

Then what to use to power them. 

:)  I'm glad to be here. I appreciate the warm welcome. 

I always buy USED

Nothing to wear out really

• Like 1

4 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

3/4 Baltic birch ...not the Chinese stuff either.... buy Georgia Pacific

Thoughts on hardwood - like walnut? We've got a furniture guy. He can make me hardwood baffles (is this even the right term?) that would either enclose - or then wrap around the Khorns. 

We plan to use walnut for room dividers as well and may even, pad the pillars for room acoustics. Going to talk to GIK on this one. 

The couch is also being replaced. 

As for 9 feet from the Khorns and umm yeah. I think it's why I'm going with a low wattage tube amp - and will have to determine how to also then tune them with my hometheater 5.1.4 set up. I think I will be going the Marantz 8 series route for that one. 

They are here - and they are wonderful. I will spare pics for now since the space is a disaster. 

I did get them hooked up to the Denon 2400h - and they are already an upgrade! However, this Denon does not do it justice at all. 

Oh, and listening position is not 9 feet. It's 8. 

I'm measuring 86db at level 49/51. 

This is heaven. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/12/2022 at 3:10 AM, indocti discant said:

Dunno what it is about Klipsch - but I've been attached to them for a long time now. Bought a pair of RP280FAs a couple of years and love them. But about a year or so ago discovered the heritage line and have been yearning to upgrade them. 

Our space is an odd one - it's a studio apartment that has the place set up for home theater and listening to music (Amazon HD music streamed through Denon HEOS). I also have a record player / may get another one in the future. 

Room is maybe 25 feet deep, and we sit about 10 feet away from the speakers right now. 

I've been non stop thinking about which to get and after getting over wanting to buy used speakers - settled on the Forte IVs based on SteveHuff's review. I went through the whole - Yeah I can do the Klipschorns and then realizing that we don't exactly have 2 corners in which to place them, to then thinking oh the La Scalas - to realizing that they might be too big, to the Cornwalls and then even down to the Heresys. 

Anyhow, throughout all of this I've still been randomly checking classifieds and a pair of La Scalas have popped up. 1978 Birch - all original - seemingly owned by a woodworker with some extra layers and a guard put on them. My concern with something that old is that I'm not exactly very handy when it comes to doing any upgrades etc and have no sense if such an old speaker would need refurbishment work. 

I also found a pair of Klipschorns with recently replaced woofers - that I'm also thinking about. 

So that sort of brings me to one of my first set of questions - just what should I be concerned about, look at when it comes to anything vintage like that? And has the sound changed considerably to the current ones (which based on everything I've read - it has?). Is there a place I should go to to read up about all of this? 
B

Otherwise, is going with the Forte IVs a better option - brand new - nothing to really worry about for a while yadda yadda?

Finally - if I am to upgrade my receiver (which I likely will) is something like a Denon 6700h or similar Marantz the appropriate choice? I do want to have height front and rear - currently I only have a 5.1.2 system. 

Or should I keep my existing Denon for home theater viewing and get a dedicated amp for listening to music? And if so what would be a good one that can play streaming music? 

Apologies for what is probably a whole host of questions - trying to be as clear while also being concise. 

Thank you and I look forward to being here :)

The Forte IV will be easier to position.

Forget about the big Heritage speakers if your room isn't up for it - not only Klipschorns but also LaScala as they love to have space. The modern versions sound in general more refined and smooth than the vintage ones.

In the wrong room, both LaScala and Klipschorn have the ability to sound absolutely horrendous. The Forte IV is much more forgiving.

But please don't power them with an AV receiver! a dedicated quality 2 channels amp is what you need for those.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2022 at 8:03 PM, indocti discant said:

They are here - and they are wonderful. I will spare pics for now since the space is a disaster. 

I did get them hooked up to the Denon 2400h - and they are already an upgrade! However, this Denon does not do it justice at all. 

Oh, and listening position is not 9 feet. It's 8. 

I'm measuring 86db at level 49/51. 

This is heaven. 

Pardon me if I rain on your parade but 8 feet is awfully close for KHorns... you need a certain distance for the different horns to "gel". I understand the legitimate will to own the Bad Boys, but in the end what matters most is how you can set them up in your room. Just my opinion, of course, and I haven't been in your room to listen, just instinctive feeling and experience with having massive horns in a living room... I'm still thinking the Forte would have been more enjoyable there.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Rolox said:

Pardon me if I rain on your parade but 8 feet is awfully close for KHorns... you need a certain distance for the different horns to "gel". I understand the legitimate will to own the Bad Boys, but in the end what matters most is how you can set them up in your room. Just my opinion, of course, and I haven't been in your room to listen, just instinctive feeling and experience with having massive horns in a living room... I'm still thinking the Forte would have been more enjoyable there.

Not at all - please tell me adjustments that I should try to make?