Alternatives to Paypal

Dave A

I fell into using Paypal since it was tied to my EBay account years ago. Time passes and the desirability of Paypal has been sorely diminished. So, my question is what is the most popular alternative amongst my fellow Klipsch heads? Now that having been said I own nothing Apple nor want anything to do with them so Apple Pay is out. What are YOU using?

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

I still use PayPal as I've had it since I started on ebay back in 2001 so it's always been there.  Or, I just use a credit card to buy stuff just in case.  Now, if I'm selling something and they want it shipped, I'm back to USPS money orders like the old days.  If they don't like that, then come pick it up and pay cash.  lol  Since the IRS changed that reporting stuff from $20,000 to $600, I've been out.  I don't make a living with PP stuff...just rarely sell things now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, avguytx said:

I still use PayPal as I've had it since I started on ebay back in 2001 so it's always been there.  Or, I just use a credit card to buy stuff just in case.  Now, if I'm selling something and they want it shipped, I'm back to USPS money orders like the old days.  If they don't like that, then come pick it up and pay cash.  lol  Since the IRS changed that reporting stuff from $20,000 to $600, I've been out.  I don't make a living with PP stuff...just rarely sell things now.

Venmo is owned by Paypal too so not sure they would be any better and I would like none of my money going to PP any more.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, YK Thom said:

I'm not happy with their activism either - business should stay in their lane as far as I'm concerned. The reality however seem to be that your credit card or Paypal are the only widely accepted option at his point of time.

I agree. I try not to get emotionally attached to a payment service. Same with music artists or bands. I don’t agree with a lot of their personal beliefs. If I only listened to the bands I agreed with, I would have a small library to choose from. 

• Like 3

There is a parallel economy in the works, but it's gonna be a while. The ability to buy or sell based two things ,need to buy and need to sell is the way freedom works. Forcing ideas on people through economics is not freedom, it's tyranny....You know an idea is really bad when you have the few FORCE it on the many....

• Like 2

12 hours ago, nickyboy6100 said:

If I only listened to the bands I agreed with, I would have a small library to choose from. 

Yes that could be true but none of them could take money from you in penalties for wrong think according to what THEY think is wrong think. While PP has rescinded this at this time they apparently want to jump onto China's social credit score thing.

11 hours ago, Schu said:

Specifically for ebay?

You can use your credit card directly on ebay

Yes, EBay primarily. It is not so bad there as EBay changed things and now do a direct deposit and unless someone uses PP to buy there PP does not get a cut from my sales any more.

It is looking more and more like PP will still be the best choice for sales and in most frequent use outside of credit cards.

11 minutes ago, Fish said:

There is a parallel economy in the works, but it's gonna be a while. The ability to buy or sell based two things ,need to buy and need to sell is the way freedom works. Forcing ideas on people through economics is not freedom, it's tyranny....You know an idea is really bad when you have the few FORCE it on the many....

Precisely my position and complaint. What is this alternative?

In the case of a problem with my banks, brokerage, or credit cards, it's still easy to get a human on the phone to resolve trouble. That's my first question about any new financial service. IMO, the new FINTECH entities rely on fully automated forms of customer service and lots of fine print in the User Agreements, that are not consumer friendly. Worse yet, the regulatory framework on the new FINTECH  world is at best shakey. For popcorn-money transactions it's probably useful, but there's no way I'd put 4-figures through these companies.

12 minutes ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

In the case of a problem with my banks, brokerage, or credit cards, it's still easy to get a human on the phone to resolve trouble. That's my first question about any new financial service. IMO, the new FINTECH entities rely on fully automated forms of customer service and lots of fine print in the User Agreements, that are not consumer friendly. Worse yet, the regulatory framework on the new FINTECH  world is at best shakey. For popcorn-money transactions it's probably useful, but there's no way I'd put 4-figures through these companies.

That's a fact and for big items for my stuff it is still cash and carry and show up to get them.

What's wrong with PAYAPL?   I get paid via family and friends, and immediately transfer it to my bank account.  I pay nothing.  It is also an excellent and very secure way to pay others and buy products.  I don't see the issue.

I have had deals go bad and PAYPAL got me my money back every single time.

My kids like Venmo and I use that too.  Basically PAYPAL for kids.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, deang said:

Agreed. I don't mind paying a little for a decent service that gives me and my customers some protection -- and F&F is always there is they're comfortable with it.

The problem is the ridiculous eBay selling fees. Yikes. 

Sure.  If they don't feel comfortable with F&F it's my asking price "net" to me.  So they get the PAYPAL protection and THEY pay the fee.   No issue.  It is still free to me, and good for them.

Ebay has gotten out of hand with the seller fees.  Agreed.

for sales and payments, unfortunately, Paypal is still the king. if you have a website and also do in person sales, Square is an option, although it's been years since I've used it. it will allow you to take credit card payments both online, and in person, either via dongle & your phone or a dedicated tablet. it used to be that their fees weren't bad if you swiped cards, but they's stick you if you typed the numbers in. I don't know what their rates are these days, it's been at least 8 areas since I've used it.