Alternatives to Paypal

Dave A

1 hour ago, Dave A said:

No the big complaint is social credit scoring and policing of thoughts THEY don't like as self appointed moral authorities enforcing their desires in ways they think they can get away with.

& who was it that opened police stations in CA and NYC recently?

HTF can that be when they are were foreign to our soil?

45 minutes ago, michaelwjones said:

Everyone has the right to pick up their marbles and find another game. But, none of this answers Dave's question.

Call me old fashioned, but not everything about life is "transactional." There still exists right and wrong behaviors and ideas that are worth fighting for or against in consideration of everyone involved.

• Like 1

I use PP or Cash for speaker transactions or for small dollar transactions on internet forums.

I've seen scammers trying to use Venmo so I avoid it for that reason.  I just don't know enough about it.

Still, it would be nice to find an alternative which is SAFE and cheap.  I don't mind paying a little extra for protection from scammers.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

like 99.99% of the people out there

Yes; have used PayPal for a LOOONG time without any problems. Normally add the extra 3% for buyer protection even if told "use F&F." Got scammed a couple of times and have always gotten my money back :) 

• Like 2

Stripe payment processor is second I think to PP. If you have a business that would certainly be one to look at. The rest of us just want to use a  PAID FOR service, pay or be paid. We  (most of us) do not want our speech "fined" that is lunacy by ANY standard in my, and most of humanities estimation.....

2 hours ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

I haven't been describing my "risk" of using PPAL, I'm describing the risk to an open society represented by PPAL's authoritarian practices, and the lack of rigorous regulation by those we elect to carry out those duties for us. I don't mind saying that the worst possible people rushng in to fill that gaping void.

Fascinating, but Dave's original post was "So, my question is what is the most popular alternative amongst my fellow Klipsch heads? Now that having been said I own nothing Apple nor want anything to do with them so Apple Pay is out. What are YOU using?"

4 hours ago, michaelwjones said:

the IRS figured out we were transferring money willy nilly and a portion of that is, in reality, income?

I want to make sure I understand...I bought a brand new pair of speakers for $5000 with money I already paid income taxes on. I enjoyed them for 10 years. Being a normal joe wage slave I could not write off any portion of this expense as capital acquisition or depreciate any of it over the years. I sell them for $2000 to some other normal joe and the $2000 is income to me? Sounds more like I had a $3000 loss.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, michaelwjones said:

Fascinating, but Dave's original post was "So, my question is what is the most popular alternative amongst my fellow Klipsch heads? Now that having been said I own nothing Apple nor want anything to do with them so Apple Pay is out. What are YOU using?"

I prefer to collect cash, and pay out with credit cards.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cash is and remains King, however it is frowned upon by the banks and institutions. i was closing on a house recently, and i jokingly answered the mortgage officer: I will use my "mattress money", when asked about the source of the down payment.

She literarily freaked out and demanded that every penny used for that end to be documented where it came from, otherwise no loan.

I guess piggy banks belong to history now. 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, pallpoul said:

Cash is and remains King, however it is frowned upon by the banks and institutions. i was closing on a house recently, and i jokingly answered the mortgage officer: I will use my "mattress money", when asked about the source of the down payment.

She literarily freaked out and demanded that every penny used for that end to be documented where it came from, otherwise no loan.

I guess piggy banks belong to history now. 

I wonder about the legality of demanding that.

JJK

13 hours ago, babadono said:

I want to make sure I understand...I bought a brand new pair of speakers for $5000 with money I already paid income taxes on. I enjoyed them for 10 years. Being a normal joe wage slave I could not write off any portion of this expense as capital acquisition or depreciate any of it over the years. I sell them for $2000 to some other normal joe and the $2000 is income to me? Sounds more like I had a $3000 loss.

If you use PayPal Goods & Services to receive the $2000, you & the IRS will receive a 1099 showing $2000 income. You are no longer a normal joe wage slave: you are are now a self employed captain of industry!  At that point you need to have records to show the loss to offset the $2000. This is a pretty good recap of the issues involved:

https://www.keepertax.com/posts/paypal-1099

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I don't think there us any recourse with USPS money orders, right? Once mailed, that money is gone. 

I always prefer credit cards because the recourse is way in favor of the buyer. I've never been denied reimbursement for a faulty service or product. And you have quite a long time to exercise that option.  On the other hand, platforms like auction sites and retailers will often try to enforce the "no return" settings of their sellers. I don't even bother with their "complaint process"--I call the credit card company first. To me that's the reason to have a credit card. It's a form of "conditional cash."