Confused; FL/FR from 5.1 AVR vs 2-channel stereo

Emile

4 minutes ago, rebuy said:

The way to test this is to play yer selection in 5.1 or whatever configuration you chose

and turn off yer centers. That way you'll know exactly what is on the remaining channels.

Yes - I agree. 

For the classical music that I love, there are countless modern performances/recordings (i.e., performances recorded in the last 15 years or so) that were captured and mastered in multi-channel hi-res digital (e.g., 24bit/192kHz PCM, or DSD), and delivered on a disc featuring DTS-HD MA 5.1 (e.g., Blu-ray, Pure Audio Blu-ray, Ultra HD Blu-ray), or an SACD disc that features multi-channel DSD.   

I've done extensive listening tests to the multi-channel classical recordings that I own, distinguishly the content of each channel.

I employ my Oppo UDP-205 (x2), BDP-105, and BDP-95 universal players’ internal audiophile-grade DACS and 5.1 analog audio outputs.   Because the rear channels in classical recordings have little content (mostly audience applause), in my 4.1 and 4.2 systems I combine the Oppo’s rear channel outputs via an RCA Y-cable.  (Oppo has verified that this is OK.)   One vintage stereo tube amp drives the main left & right speakers.  Another vintage stereo tube amp drives the center and single rear speaker.  My approach may be unorthodox, but it works great.   And – most important – it sounds fabulous for the classical music and opera that I love.

Two of my systems have matching front, center, and left speakers.

Two of my systems each employ a Klipsch RC-64III center channel.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, robert_kc said:

Are you connecting 2 Klipsch RC-7 speakers (which Klipsch marketed as a center channel speaker) to your AVR's front Left & Right speaker terminals?  Do you have a center channel speaker connected to your AVR?

Yes, TWO RC-7's as Left and Right. No center. Sounds as good as my previous setup (Heresies L/C/R - haha; wife objected to "center" in front of  the fireplace ... also had no room left on top of my KPT's as I switched to much bigger JBL horns (only slightly smaller than K-402's) :) 

Thanks for correcting my thought of "just adding another DAC;" will run the Oppo menu again, "downgrade" to stereo  and see what happens to the HDMI. But, will have to wait till tomorrow as I have to pick-up my wife from the airport shortly.

THANKS!

1 hour ago, rebuy said:

Everyone here is mainly unorthodox.

We all do things differently.

I don't have an unlimited audio budget so I do the best I can.

This is the way I have chosen to play back sound at home 

IMG_3137.jpg

I agree that different audiophiles have different needs.

IMO an audiophile should first focus on the types of recordings that are available for the music (and movies) they like.

An audiophile must also decide on the goals for their hi-fi system.  For example:  

• Create the illusion that you’re at a live concert?   If so, for what genre(s) of music?
  • Low-volume-level, unobtrusive background music?
  • Ear-bleed high-frequency?   Thunderous bass?   Pinpoint spatial imaging?
  • Other?

Of course, different audiophiles may have different constraints, such as room layout, budget, etc.

I enjoy classical music and opera.  My goal is to create the illusion that I’m in the symphony hall or opera house.  My systems are optimized for Blu-ray recordings of classical music and opera.  (Several of my systems also perform well for the movies I enjoy.)

Different goals, different music (and movie) genres, requirements to support different recording media, and different constraints may mean that a different system configuration is optimal for one audiophile vs. another.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, robert_kc said:

I enjoy classical music and opera

Robert, same here :) as well as some classic rock like Queen and (old) Chicago.

Did not think classical was appropriate for testing as there is not much "center" presence, so used a 5.1 DVD - Norah Jones, "Live in NOLA."

And ... YES SIR ... you were absolutely correct :)  Set down-mix to "stereo," and pretty sure my Nikko/Crown/KPT's are getting a FULL STEREO feed. And my Onkyo AVR "says," HDMI 5.1channel source, so the down-mix did NOT affect the HDMI feed, just as you predicted! AWESOME!

Made a small mistake :) You kept on referring to page 68 ... and I kept on indexing the PDF to page 68 - which is (actually) page 64 and shows "audio reference charts;" never showing "stereo" for 5.1 inputs. Lesson learned :( )

Thank You, Thank You!

Cheers, Emile