Horns and Forte IVs

Fido

While listening to some music today I realized that my Fortes sounded better than I ever noticed while playing music with lots of Horns like Chicago, Louise Armstrong, Herb Albert and Honk. So if you love horns Klipsch excels with music featuring trumpet, sax etc,

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I was listening to the late great Boston band Morphine the other night and thought the same thing....  the Forte IV is the first speaker where I am not thinking about my NEXT speaker...  even if they aren't my "last" speaker it's unlikely I will ever sell them.   They are a lot of speaker for the money.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2022 at 8:25 PM, Fido said:

The Lonely Bull sounds freaking amazing on these speakers, WOW!

I still have my Trumpet from my middle school days, and can still play a few basic things. I even have a Herb Alpert music charts book. Al Hirt's music was too hard to play, but we all could play Herb's music. Lonely Bull was recorded with different studio musicians before he put together his touring band. My parents didn't have a stereo then, it was strictly mono. When listening to the Tijuana Brass I now have on CD, I can tell that most times, there were 2 trumpets, often in unison,  playing to give a unique sound to those lead instruments. So twin guitars by Beatles, Rolling Stones, Wishbone Ash, and the Allman Brothers Band (Richard Betts and Duane Allman) were a different manifestation of the same ideas.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I still have my Trumpet from my middle school days, and can still play a few basic things. I even have a Herb Alpert music charts book. Al Hirt's music was too hard to play, but we all could play Herb's music. Lonely Bull was recorded with different studio musicians before he put together his touring band. My parents didn't have a stereo then, it was strictly mono. When listening to the Tijuana Brass I now have on CD, I can tell that most times, there were 2 trumpets, often in unison,  playing to give a unique sound to those lead instruments. So twin guitars by Beatles, Rolling Stones, Wishbone Ash, and the Allman Brothers Band (Richard Betts and Duane Allman) were a different manifestation of the same ideas.

Chicks dig the guy in the band that blows a mean horn. You are a man with many talents.

Just now, Fido said:

Chicks dig the guy in the band that blows a mean horn. You are a man with many talents.

I was still 12 years old and only played for a year because when we moved, my new Jr. High School didn't have Band. Ella Fitzgerald Elementary School (Stevie Wonder was there 2 years ahead of me) and Post Jr. High School on the same big block in Detroit (right next door). Both have been closed down for several years. Mr. Cardeccia, our band leader was also a Trumped Player! Maybe that's why I fell in love with the sound of Klipschorns when I went into our local Klipsch dealer, which was about 5 blocks from my house. Rode by it every day on my bike on my way to my paper route!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I can also recall Petula Clark's (remember "Downtown?") Lonely Bull Melody, of the lyrics, which may have been the title: "J'avais le Soleil dans les yeux."

translated, it's "I had the Sun in my eyes." with a Horn intro, of course.

I love Petula Clark. One of 1st albums I asked for from Santa.the first 45 I bought myself was Locomotion by LittleEva and my first LP was introducing the Beatles followed by Meet The Beatles. I was 8 or 9 at the time.

13 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I was still 12 years old and only played for a year because when we moved, my new Jr. High School didn't have Band. Ella Fitzgerald Elementary School (Stevie Wonder was there 2 years ahead of me) and Post Jr. High School on the same big block in Detroit (right next door). Both have been closed down for several years. Mr. Cardeccia, our band leader was also a Trumped Player! Maybe that's why I fell in love with the sound of Klipschorns when I went into our local Klipsch dealer, which was about 5 blocks from my house. Rode by it every day on my bike on my way to my paper route!

Was that the Hi Fidelity Workshop? I bought my first good system (Sansui-Dual-Jensen) from them.

10 hours ago, Buddy Shagmore said:

Was that the Hi Fidelity Workshop? I bought my first good system (Sansui-Dual-Jensen) from them.

Yes it was. My first stereo was an Ampex Cassette/FM with 2 speakers, until I started building my own, evolving into 15" BR boxes with Altec Horns for DJ work BEFORE Saturday Night Fever and the Studio 54 Craze of the late 70's. They had moved to Royal Oak on Woodward from their West Side Detroit location on 7 mile Rd by the time I had enough money, as a 23 year old to buy Khorns (1977 KCBR).