JEM capacitor review

nickyboy6100

Interesting but one must remember this is one mans opinion. Most EE do not put so much emphasis on the name on a capacitor but rather read the data sheet. Two identical data sheets by two different brands should and probably sound very much the same. Audiophiles and not electronic engineers argue on brand of capacitor to be used in a circuit. The subject of a low value film cap added to an electrolytic PS cap is considered by most EE as BS as for as improving the circuit.

When it comes to a crossover cap a good polyester cap is plenty good enough and some may even say better sounding than a polypropylene. Dielectric absorption is slightly better in a polypropylene but the dielectric absorption is plenty good enough in a polyester cap to be used as a crossover cap or coupling capacitor. If someone says different I say show me the numbers and not some flowery words many are full of when talking capacitors. 

• Like 1

On 10/15/2022 at 2:45 PM, the real Duke Spinner said:

It's not really quantifiable, is it. 

It is, when it's my wife....  but that's probably better suited for a different thread....  or my therapist...  :ph34r:

(I'm going back to hell now so I can start my immolation process....)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/17/2022 at 10:29 AM, Schu said:

I just thought I would add and also submit for members to judge themselves exactly what the guy is talking about. The power supply electrolytic capacitors in the Phase linear 400 were 5,600uf and he is talking about adding a 1/10th of 1uf film cap to the 5,600uf and it making such a big difference. This is in the filtering network and not in the audio signal. Most EE consider this just plain BS. That are those guys have some of the best hearing in the planet. Which part is going to contribute to the sound most, the 5,600uf electrolytic or the .1uf film cap. The top amplifier designers now living do add some value of film cap across an electrolytic on occasion but only to make buyers happy. Just how much effect does your common sense tell you that adding 1/10 of 1uf film cap is going to contribute to the sound in a power supply. Could be the guy doing the test increased the volume a touch without telling. Now that would have the effect the poster is talking about. So much BS talk when it comes to capacitors on social media forums. 

Back in the day 5,600uf capacitance was considered a lot. The last PP SS amp I built has 45,000uf capacitance on each rail. That equates to more reserve power for those deep bass notes with inefficient speakers. 10,000uf per rail is probably enough for a clean power supply circuit for a BJT SS amplifier. The extra is for reserve when and if ever needed. 

• Like 2

I used to learn that there are so-called (in German) hard and soft power supplies. The soft power supplies have a cheap average transformer with capacitors whose capacitance values the marketing pushed into overbred ranges in order to please the customers when reading the advertising brochure. After a few microseconds the air is out with heavy sound attacks.

The hard power supplies have a professional transformer with high current delivery capacity on the secondary side and capacitance values that correspond exactly to this. E.g. Quad 405, 306, 606 were always built like this and they were in BBC radio and studio use, e.g. at Abbey Road Studios to play Dark Side of the moon to the sound engineer with big Tannoys while mixing.