Jumpers for bi-wireable speakers

Les Lammers

Do you think it's an aesthetic improvement or a sound improvement? I also used different speakers with contact bridges between bass and tweeter part of the xover. I have also experimented with cable jumpers and connectors that I soldered myself. I found the result not very impressive. After a bit of trial and error I came to the conclusion that a certain measure has the greatest effect on achieving a nice sound. I have to say that the jumper design of my speakers is a bit different from that of the Klipsch speakers. I have, as apparently usual with many British speakers, connections like the one in the picture below. The contact between the high and low circuit is made with a small rod that is then screwed in place. The contact to the amp is made via banana plugs. I have achieved an audible improvement by using a pair of pliers with a thin towel between the pliers and the knurled nut so as not to scratch anything. Then I very carefully give just a little force and screw the knurled nuts tighter with the combination pliers than it would be possible with my bare fingers. It is to be tightened carefully and with feeling. We don't want to overtighten and break anything, it's the touch of a twist. But the result is that I can no longer easily loosen the knurled nut without pliers with my bare fingers. The effect is less graininess, a more stable stage and a more pleasant sound overall. I would recommend trying it out even if it sounds crazy. But it costs nothing. It should be possible with the Heresey jumpers in a similar way.

My thinking is that the in this way fixed nuts prevent micro-vibrations from being transmitted through the back of the speaker. Micro-vibrations remain possible if you tighten these jumpers with the force of your fingers only. I think this effect is much more decisive than the choice of a supposedly better material that costs more money but is also only metal like the original jumper. But as I said, just turn a little and with a lot of feeling.
We would not have this problem if the jumpers were not there.

B1853C06-B50A-4F24-B094-63AA781DB382.png

I 'solved' this problem using this:

image.thumb.jpeg.f3251c142ff3267613c2133f68da78cc.jpeg

ย 

I only need 6 ft per side, so I join two opposite colors at the amp end and connect all four at the speaker's bi-wire end.

It's solid core OFC copper for special electrical installments; no complains whatsoever about the sound and I don't have to mentally fiddle with jumpers anymore.

โ‚ฌ30 5 mt. shipped from Germany.

On 10/16/2022 at 7:06 PM, KT88 said:

Do you think it's an aesthetic improvement or a sound improvement? I also used different speakers with contact bridges between bass and tweeter part of the xover. I have also experimented with cable jumpers and connectors that I soldered myself. I found the result not very impressive. After a bit of trial and error I came to the conclusion that a certain measure has the greatest effect on achieving a nice sound. I have to say that the jumper design of my speakers is a bit different from that of the Klipsch speakers. I have, as apparently usual with many British speakers, connections like the one in the picture below. The contact between the high and low circuit is made with a small rod that is then screwed in place. The contact to the amp is made via banana plugs. I have achieved an audible improvement by using a pair of pliers with a thin towel between the pliers and the knurled nut so as not to scratch anything. Then I very carefully give just a little force and screw the knurled nuts tighter with the combination pliers than it would be possible with my bare fingers. It is to be tightened carefully and with feeling. We don't want to overtighten and break anything, it's the touch of a twist. But the result is that I can no longer easily loosen the knurled nut without pliers with my bare fingers. The effect is less graininess, a more stable stage and a more pleasant sound overall. I would recommend trying it out even if it sounds crazy. But it costs nothing. It should be possible with the Heresey jumpers in a similar way.

My thinking is that the in this way fixed nuts prevent micro-vibrations from being transmitted through the back of the speaker. Micro-vibrations remain possible if you tighten these jumpers with the force of your fingers only. I think this effect is much more decisive than the choice of a supposedly better material that costs more money but is also only metal like the original jumper. But as I said, just turn a little and with a lot of feeling.
We would not have this problem if the jumpers were not there.

B1853C06-B50A-4F24-B094-63AA781DB382.png

ย The sound is cleaner and they are easy to install and get nice and snug. The Klipsch provided jumpers are not copper.