Center to match L/R RC-7's

Emile

OK; used to have Heresy's as L/C/R, but the wife "disapproved," so got rid of those and am now using RC-7's as L/R without a "center." (Haha; wife hated the center Heresy in front of the fireplace - and "lost" the space on top of my KPT-904's when I went for bigger horns.) But ... want to try another center again :)  But; have dimensional constraints :( 

Max height of (new) center is 7", max depth is 9", width OK to 38" - so another RC-7 is NOT possible. Any thoughts on a center that would be small enough and compatible to my RC-7's?

Also thought of using dual bookshelf speakers (such as RP-500m's). Know this is generally NOT recommended due to interference issues. But also know many (?) people do use dual centers without any problems. Hook them up parallel/serial onto AVR - or use a different amp? Appreciate your advise on this.

Cheers, Emile

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Emile said:

Max height of (new) center is 7", max depth is 9", width OK to 38" - so another RC-7 is NOT possible. Any thoughts on a center that would be small enough and compatible to my RC-7's? Also thought of using dual bookshelf speakers (such as RP-500m's). Know this is generally NOT recommended due to interference issues. But also know many (?)

The RB-15's look like they'd work:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125522234186?hash=item1d39b54b4a:g:SUMAAOSwrQNjKcXO&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4HJtws%2BQZl6vm%2FPgF5obvnb9t%2F5HxMUBcEg6dR%2B6ljjNDPQTTKLB0W3utigQ880fZUIWnscyhW7cH%2FX2CjSYrPsVHXUdaWeZsfUqSWz7zVWI5tufvhs8d58HaGlNcMGSgCYvHEZMqbcg%2BI%2F8MBgCwcH5NE%2FhEmvKNz5FDStjUCAQ8ZcRuDiKA7MrZz3hyUzsLh9ljTDXVfI2mKSp4%2FaKCBEwPGjc5EJ58gnWrlrqKAzY8NdYoM0eJWgjZyrjI2DVQq9hw81NkHsNVwcs0JfCiKRLzUf8FUTRk%2F5N2drN29Vg|tkp%3ABFBMnPrfxf1g

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jjptkd said:

The RB-15's look like they'd work

Yeah, thanks :) but how do we hook them up? :( Separate amp or parallel/series to AVR? Interference issues? :) 

Also found a nice pair of RP-500m's close to me - no clue which are better. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

at what frequency does the other LF driver cutoff?

The Rp-500m's which I was considering cut off at 1500Hz :)  Also was considering the RP-404C II which has a crossover at 1900Hz. :) 

1 hour ago, Emile said:

Found a Klipsch RP-404C ii which easily fits my dimensional constraints ... but; freq cutoff is at 87 Hz ... is that low enough for a center?

You may well ask, as here is the RC-7, as you likely are aware:

RC-7 Center Channel.
frequency response 45Hz-20kHz ±3dB
woofer Two K-1083-SB 8" (20.32cm) Cerametallic® cone / cast polymer frame
enclosure material MDF
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, billybob said:

RC3- 60 hz...

Cabinet is too big for his space. The RB-15's are 70hz & up should be a close timbre match same era as the 75's I'd place them tweeter to tweeter in the middle angled slightly outwards. 

146152-759fdd22-klipsch_rb75_monitors__cherry_finish.jpg

4940014-7066-3__15841re.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1