Dual bookshelf speakers as center channel

Emile

Started a thread earlier today, looking for a center channel to compliment L/R RC-7's. However, due to size constraints a pair of bookshelf speakers would be much easier.

Yes; know it is generally NOT recommended due to interference issues. But ... also know many (?) people do use DUAL centers.

So; anyone has any experience with this. Also, NO clue how to hook up dual bookshelf speakers? Parallel/serial to AVR (Onkyo TX-RZ810) or use a separate amp. Interference or not?

Thanks, Emile

• Like 1

comb filtering...

In general, it's been 'okay' as a dual center channel as its hard to determine what cancellations and summations are happening from the listening position. It never really bothered me when I've used it because for HT the center channel is primarily used for dialog.

series or parallel... I used both, and could not really hear a difference when summed, but I think Parallel is considered better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Emile, I used two Martin Logan LX16 in parallel when I was looking for my RC-7. I did not hear comb filtering, bad hearing maybe?  Also we have slightly separate listening seats so “focusing “ a speaker for each seat actually sounded good.  I tried vertical, horizontal, close and spread configurations. Spread vertical was best.  Finding a good speaker small enough maybe a challenge to fit with RC-7 sound.  Move your TV up a couple of inches, raise the ceiling?  Best of luck!

• Haha 1

Comb filtering sounds a little like fluttering when you hear a single musical note played thru two sources... you can hear the note 'flutter' as one note differs slightly than the other.

In home theater, the sound is dynamic so it would be difficult to determine that by ear, but mainly the filtering would cause some frequencies to be canceled and other frequencies to be 'summed' or heightened. I think it's probably easier to see with a graph than it would be to hear during play back.

At any rate, it never hurts to give it a try if your amp can handle it.

• Like 1

Interestingly enough I owned a Sony STR-D1011S receiver back in the 1990s that was a Dolby Pro-Logic unit that had dual powered outputs for two center speakers.  The manual specified to have one above the screen and one below it to center the audio in the middle.

I never tried it and it’s the only receiver I’ve ever owned that had that feature.

I highly doubt it had any kind of processing to reduce or eliminate comb filtering.

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Years  ago , I used a two speaker center, I had a big rear projection tv with  no room for a center   .So  I flanked my  big crappy tv ( BCTV)🤓 with two Lascalas , and It actually worked pretty good . I did notice an improvement when I went projector and single center behind a screen, but it worked good . I ran them in parallel, with no problem, I believe it’s a viable option  for difficult situations , although it is a compromise, and  a little unorthodox . There’s  not many perfect setups out there , most are full of compromise , so why not try it .🤓

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

What's interesting is that it can run 4 Ohm speakers all the way around including dual-centers...

Yeah the thing weighed a ton.  It was the top Sony receiver of the time before you got into the ES series.

• Like 1

I am trying to find a Academy to use for my center with my Cornwall I's. Until recently I have been using a RP500C but it sounded off...

I found a pair of Tangent 10's and grabbed them as are in pristine shape. The Tangent and Academy have the same K-76 tweeter but the 8" woofers differ (K-7-K vs K-1011 on the Academy).

Anyways...should i just use a single Tangent 10 or both as my center? I read somewhere by using them in parallel that two 8 ohms become a 4 ohm load.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, danno1012000 said:

I am trying to find a Academy to use for my center with my Cornwall I's. Until recently I have been using a RP500C but it sounded off...

I found a pair of Tangent 10's and grabbed them as are in pristine shape. The Tangent and Academy have the same K-76 tweeter but the 8" woofers differ (K-7-K vs K-1011 on the Academy).

Anyways...should i just use a single Tangent 10 or both as my center? I read somewhere by using them in parallel that two 8 ohms become a 4 ohm load.

Just use one.

A third Cornwall would be the best center, then a Heresy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, danno1012000 said:

Thanks Wuzzzer!

One more question, other than center and left/right is it important to timber match my sides and rears as they are mostly ambient noise?

Not as much but my five Heresy setup is the best sound I’ve ever had.  There really is something special about matching speakers.

Btw it’s timbre and it rhymes with camber.  🙂

• Like 1

Almost bought a pair of RP-500m's :)  Instead, bought a "single" center - a RB-500C. At least it has 5-1/4" woofers, fits in the space and seems to have the highest SPL from this size range (96dB's vs 93-94 from bookshelf speakers; think that means about 25% more output). We'll see :) 

And thanks to everyone for their input :) 

Cheers, Emile

• Like 1

What many people don't realize is that Timbre differences can be somewhat mitigated by using the avr EQ... you can run your favorite color of 'noise' thru the LR mains and alternate with the center, then use the EQ adjustments to balance the sound differences between the two by ear.

As you you flip back and forth between the mains and the center, the timbre difference is quite clear and audible.

• Thanks 1