Khorn question

svberger

I've had a front stage of 3 LaScala for the past decade or more.  About a month ago, I picked up Khorns, 75 vintage.  It's been a worthwhile experiment for me.  I appreciate the differences enough to keep them in the roll and move the LaScalas to another room for 2-channel.  

So what are the differences?  Most prominent is the way they couple with the room.  It's hard to describe, but when people say the room becomes part of the cabinet, you can tell.  My dynamics were already off the charts, but it literally scares me now.  Something unexpected in a movie will cause me to jump up.  Secondly, the level of separation and detail is higher.  I know it shouldn't be, but it is.

I ran REW, and find it is easier to stay flatter in the mid base area.  Makes sense, as the Khorns dig deeper and I'm able to run the crossover lower.

My room is 18x30x9'.  Visually, I don't like that the axis is pointed at 45 degrees.  I also assumed a problem with my listening position being 7' behind the axis.  However, it works very well.  Hasn't been a concern.

I bought mine knowing that I couldn't lose.  If I loved them, I keep them.  If I didn't, I sell them easily.  I originally thought I would sell the LaScalas, but have changed my mind.   :)

Good luck to you.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jcn3 said:

@sberger -- i thought you owned klipschhorns previously.  seems like we've had the corner discussion before -- particularly the fact that your window frames are in the way and preventing a good seal.  am i delusional?

I don't know if you're delusional, but yes, we had the discussion, and no, I still don't own them. When opportunities present themselves, and I learn more about this particular aspect of the hobby, I try to ask the question again, in a slightly different way. Plus, I figure there are folks here that might not have been around for the last time, or just didn't chime in.

As a couple of contributors mentioned, while I have windows, the bass bins of the Khorns would just about fit under them and be able to press against the wall. Not perfect, but IMO doable.

The seller finally responded and looks like we'll start to look at finalizing on Monday. Details as they emerge.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, babadono said:

Is the seller not a member or lurker here? $5500? That's a mighty spicy meatball...IMHO. Sold my walnut KB-WO about 18 months ago for $3k. That said they are worth what someone will pay.

Don't know don't care. I'm not going to pay $5500. I might consider $2k and trade some gear I'm not using, depending on how they sound when I try them out. As others have indicated I would put them in the same category as my Mac gear. They're most likely going to at least hold their value and probably appreciate so not a terrible investment, although that's not why I buy audio gear.

Just now, Schu said:

then it's all moot.

I have a limit in mind, but of course I could end up being so blown away by them when they're actually in the room with music coming out of them that anything could happen. You only live once, or so I'm told.

Meanwhile, today I hooked up my Cornwall's and La Scala's to my McIntosh MC2105 and playing them simultaneously. That is one big bad racket they make together. If the Khorns can do that  my wallet might be in big trouble.

They sold for about $1,700 a pair New in 1978 (About what I paid for mine in 1977). According to the CPI inflation calculator, it means they should be about $8,000 in 2022 dollars. Since they are used, 50-66% of new should be a fair price, assmuming they were still available new with the same materials, which they are NOT. Birch LaScalas were about $1,100 a pair back then too ($5,000 in today's dollars). Negotiate accordingly!

• Like 2

Asking prices down here are all over the place. Then again, there are pieces that sit for months, years, on CL and the price never moves. Some strange cats for sure on that place. We'll see. At the very least somebody is willing to deliver them. That's how I ended up with my  La Scala's and that is worth a lot for me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, svberger said:

Asking prices down here are all over the place. Then again, there are pieces that sit for months, years, on CL and the price never moves. Some strange cats for sure on that place. We'll see. At the very least somebody is willing to deliver them. That's how I ended up with my  La Scala's and that is worth a lot for me.

As an example of prices, here's a nice pair of LS's being sold close to me. Guess what the ask is.

"For sale a gorgeous pair of Klipsch la scala's in Birch with an extra layer of veneer on the entire speaker with some beautiful edge protectors on all corners, work and sound beautiful and look gorgeous as well "

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1