Khorn question

svberger

I don't know who of you uses www.hifishark.com. I have done it successfully several times. Hifishark is a meta search engine only for hifi ads and always scans the ads of many regional and national websites. This way I bought very well maintained quad 306 amps from Italy. So, if someone publishes an ad on Reverb or ebay or the small regional sites, you can also find such an ad on hifishark with a link to the original ad.

The last time I looked for Klipsch Lascalas was about a year ago, just for fun, and the average price for vintage speakers that looked good was around 2000€ to 2500€ in Europe, which is probably higher than in the USA. But now I have just looked again and I was very surprised how the prices are increasing. Of course, that doesn't mean that these prices are being paid, but they are being asked for sometimes 80% more. In addition, the supply seems to be smaller at the moment.
To answer the question about the price estimate of the La Scala...with this development I wouldn't be surprised if the seller himself wanted to get $3000 even in the USA.

Here is a current scan.
https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=la+scala

Between all the high prices, you can also be lucky. These Khorns look very well maintained, and in a photo you might see that it could be with soldered K55V connections from the very rare and sought after 2 phase plug model. The period of the year of construction would fit.

Everything very serious, even the reference to the changed bass drivers and the addition of the original K33 to the offer. But unfortunately TX is too far away from Cologne.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649893519-klipschorn-corner-horn-speakers/

On 10/19/2022 at 7:28 PM, svberger said:

The windows start about 40" above the floor.

I was wrong, and not sure how I got that number. The window pane is about 25" off the floor, and the actual window about 31".   So obviously not good.

So assuming they just don't sound good (to my ears) as is in the main room, my options will be to do something about it as discussed above, or, I could move them into a smaller room as I have done with the Cornwall's in the past. Good corners, about 10 feet apart, with 8 foot ceilings. . Still not optimum, but better immediately from a corner perspective then the main room so might give me a way of hearing what they're capable of with properly placed.

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KT88 said:

Between all the high prices, you can also be lucky. These Khorns look very well maintained, and in a photo you might see that it could be with soldered K55V connections from the very rare and sought after 2 phase plug model. The period of the year of construction would fit.

Everything very serious, even the reference to the changed bass drivers and the addition of the original K33 to the offer. But unfortunately TX is too far away from Cologne.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649893519-klipschorn-corner-horn-speakers/

Interesting how they are placed in the room. No corners.

51 minutes ago, svberger said:

Interesting how they are placed in the room. No corners.

TBH even if they are sold it would be worth to ask him how it sounded. If it were me, I would try your Khorns in your bigger room first regardless all this corner discussion.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KT88 said:

TBH even if they are sold it would be worth to ask him how it sounded. If it were me, I would try your Khorns in your bigger room first regardless all this corner discussion.

I have sent the seller of those TX Khorns a question asking that. I'll let you know what the response it.

Having the Khorns in the larger room is  the plan for sure. I don't want them in the smaller room. But it does leave a little for experimentation if needed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Schu said:

^ WOW... those are BEAUTIFUL.

I am really a sucker for raw birch!

I was too. After putting 3 coats of Homer Formby's Satin Tung Oil on mine, back in 1977, after sanding and using #0000 Steel wool on them, they were shining BEFORE I put the finish on! The more I rubbed the Oil, the more 3D the grain got. Gave me a new appreciation for birch! All my bass horns are made out of Baltic Birch, FYI, but now I get the "Golden Honey Color" with Spar Varnish instead, which makes them water resistant!

• Like 2

On 10/20/2022 at 5:57 PM, jimjimbo said:

OK then.....I have a pair of factory Mahogany stained LS with upgraded tweeters, mids and crossovers that I will sell for $5K.  

$5K would be the price for new, which is not possible because they are no longer made with birch plywood, like in 1978. Yours are USED, which puts them in a different catergory AFTER you do an apples to apples comparison, which clearly this is not the case.

On 10/21/2022 at 10:31 AM, svberger said:

If that's a serious guess ,you're way off.

$2,000-3,000 be my guess, but again, the basic premise for today's variations, is that they try to compare used pricing of a less refined, cosmetically RAW (as opposed to a pretty finish) and justify the used prices based on an apples and oranges (new apples vs. old orange) and price in the range 0.5-0.7 times the new price. It's a market reality in front of our eyes. To stay on topic, the same POINT applies to Klipschorns to a lesser degree because those changes have not been as radical as on the LaScala, making them more of a New Apple, vs. an apple with a few bites and tooth marks.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

$2,000-3,000 be my guess, but again, the basic premise for today's variations, is that they try to compare used pricing of a less refined, cosmetically RAW (as opposed to a pretty finish) and justify the used prices based on an apples and oranges (new apples vs. old orange) and price in the range 0.5-0.7 times the new price. It's a market reality in front of our eyes.

Yes $3k

4 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

To stay on topic, the same POINT applies to Klipschorns to a lesser degree because those changes have not been as radical as on the LaScala, making them more of a New Apple, vs. an apple with a few bites and tooth marks.

Which makes a now typical asking price of $6,000 in the minds of sellers vs. buyers who think half of that amount is too much. The Wallet will decide.

• Like 1