Khorn question

svberger

19 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

$5K would be the price for new, which is not possible because they are no longer made with birch plywood, like in 1978. Yours are USED, which puts them in a different catergory AFTER you do an apples to apples comparison, which clearly this is not the case.

Lighten up Claude… Purely sarcastic.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Sounds like you can use them and then sell if you they do not work out, but you did say that these are attractive because they cab be delivered. 

Do you have the ability to move these around and possibly pack up or deliver if you need to sell?  They can become a burden. 

I've started some confusion in this thread. The LS's that I pictured and asked guesses on the price are for sale locally for $3k in my area. I did that just to show how out of control asking prices are, particularly in wealthier areas like the San Francisco area. I already have a nice pair of '77 LS's so I'm not buying those. It's the '78 Khorns that this thread was begun for that are selling for $5500 in my area.

Yes I can sell the Khorns if they don't work out,but I'm going to try them out first and I'll know pretty quickly if they're going to work out or not in my space. If I have to sell them(assuming the seller won't take them back) they'll be pick up only. I have no means to deliver.

They're on caster's that the seller has added so easy to move around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, svberger said:

I've started some confusion in this thread. The LS's that I pictured and asked guesses on the price are for sale locally for $3k in my area. I did that just to show how out of control asking prices are, particularly in wealthier areas like the San Francisco area. I already have a nice pair of '77 LS's so I'm not buying those. It's the '78 Khorns that this thread was begun for that are selling for $5500 in my area.

Yes I can sell the Khorns if they don't work out,but I'm going to try them out first and I'll know pretty quickly if they're going to work out or not in my space. If I have to sell them(assuming the seller won't take them back) they'll be pick up only. I have no means to deliver.

They're on caster's that the seller has added so easy to move around.

Those prices are freakin crazy  .. I would not have any speakers if I had to pay that My KH ..2400$

KLF 30 1200$

Cornwalls 900$

🙄

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

Those prices are freakin crazy  .. I would not have any speakers if I had to pay that My KH ..2400$

KLF 30 1200$

Cornwalls 900$

🙄

Where do you live?

Those LS's aren't even the cheapest. There's a pair of '85's, black(!!!) that are offered at $6K!!.

Not everybody around here has asks like that. There are very nice CW's locally on CL now for $1000, (on the other hand, there's another similar pair with a $4k price tag on them, and yet another for $2K), a nice pair of Forte's for $1500, lots of Heresy's for less then $1k, etc. Just depends. But yeah, generally in this area prices are inflated over the rest of the country. Houses are $500+ sqft, gas is still $5-6 gallon. Lovely place to live, but bargains are tough to come by. Even in a tight economy.

I think the older models of  Klipschorn and Lascala are still one of the best values in home audio . And if your lucky enough to find a pair in excellent original condition , jackpot .These old models , in the right room will immediately impress you with their unparalleled scale and authority, they let you know that the big boys are playing the room , and with good music ,you become immediately aware that something special is going on  , and it is . Don’t get me wrong the newest versions are awesome  , but the biggest old heritage speakers still sound fantastic  . The new models benefit from various refinements,  but the old classic stuff  is perfectly acceptable  for those of us  who  preferred Maryann over the more sophisticated and refined  Ginger .🤓

• Like 3

A friend bought some 1986 Klipschorns this spring.  Tweeters are Crites CT120 and crossovers are B&K A/4500. Cabs in great shape, think he paid $4K. 1000 mile R/T to get them.

As noted so many times, Khorns are easy to upgrade (if one knows what one is doing). In one Dope from Hope, PWK discussed the upgrades then available (think it was early 1970s) and concluded that the Klipschorn had "somewhat less than zero obsolescence. Don't you wish you could do that with your 1948 Cadillac?" or words to that effect.

Klipsch used to sell the bass horn individually, many, many years ago. I with I could buy one and have the lab space to try different tops with active crossovers just for my own amusement.  

14 hours ago, svberger said:

Where do you live?

Those LS's aren't even the cheapest. There's a pair of '85's, black(!!!) that are offered at $6K!!.

Not everybody around here has asks like that. There are very nice CW's locally on CL now for $1000, (on the other hand, there's another similar pair with a $4k price tag on them, and yet another for $2K), a nice pair of Forte's for $1500, lots of Heresy's for less then $1k, etc. Just depends. But yeah, generally in this area prices are inflated over the rest of the country. Houses are $500+ sqft, gas is still $5-6 gallon. Lovely place to live, but bargains are tough to come by. Even in a tight economy.

$6/gal. 🙄. Yikes !!

20 hours ago, OO1 said:

Upstate  NY  and Boston MA  klipsch  speaker selling prices are very high

Yep, very true - two sets of Cornwall 2s are on the market for $1800. One set is in NJ and looks quite nice but that's still a bit rich.

• Like 1

These inflated prices do help me getting my wife on board easier!  I have LaScalas that I planned to sell.  I get excited at what they might sell at, but my wife reminds me how much I love them and that the value will always be there.  She's right.  :).    So I just gave them a job as rear surrounds.  

• Like 1

As I mentioned earlier in this thread no way will I pay the $5500 that the seller is asking for the Khorns. With a great collection of speakers already, including pairs of ‘77 LS’s and Corns, I’m set. But if he’s willing to do some trading(willing to let my Corns and a nice McIntosh MC2120 amp go) plus a little cash then we can probably get something done. Unloading idle gear by trading for other gear I’m interested in is always appealing. 

• Like 4

As my mother used to say when I was in love as a teenager but the lady didn't want to: There is not a handful but a whole country full of girls. BTW I was excited about the Texas offer I posted here for 3.5K and additional bass drivers and obviously the K55V with dual phase plug. That might be worth shipping. But I just wanted to say it.

On 10/26/2022 at 10:57 AM, KT88 said:

As my mother used to say when I was in love as a teenager but the lady didn't want to: There is not a handful but a whole country full of girls. BTW I was excited about the Texas offer I posted here for 3.5K and additional bass drivers and obviously the K55V with dual phase plug. That might be worth shipping. But I just wanted to say it.

Heinz as always thanks for your wise words. Not being able to get a pair of speakers does not, I'm happy to say, lead to the kind of despair and broken heart syndrome that my various interactions with   members of the opposite sex in younger days resulted in. Thankfully.

I'm going to just sit back and enjoy the abundance of speaker riches that I currently possess. This transaction simply wasn't meant to be, and there's no reason in my world to force fit myself into any gear that may not be the right fit, (in this case, literally) for my enjoyment. I'm guessing that if the opportunity to try out Khorns in my space ever does present itself, it will be through one of the close, local, folks that I have a personal relationship with that will allow me to try them out and see and hear how they would play out in my space. In this last transaction, this was not possible, and I just can't afford to take a risk. These are not speakers which one can just turn around and sell overnight. There are currently a few pairs available locally that have been available locally for some time. I don't want that hassle. And given my current situation, there's absolutely no reason to take it on.

• Like 2