Khorn question

svberger

13 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

I don't think anyone owning lascalas is suffering too much......🤣

Especially when you add a decent sub into the mix. When buying my LS I figured out that I really do not have the room required for K-horns. With LS you suffer some bass loss over the K-horn but the bass it does make is pure horn bass. Something that is very rare in speakers. Love K-horns and always desired a pair years ago but now happy with LS and good sub.

• Like 3

I just changed from LaScalas to Khorns.  When paired with the subs, the differences are subtle to my wife, but significant to me.  I'm glad I changed.  I did so only because I was able to do it without financial risk based on the elevated market.  If your corners are less than ideal and you employ a sub, I would be at peace with the LaScalas.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, tragusa3 said:

I just changed from LaScalas to Khorns.  When paired with the subs, the differences are subtle to my wife, but significant to me.  I'm glad I changed.  I did so only because I was able to do it without financial risk based on the elevated market.  If your corners are less than ideal and you employ a sub, I would be at peace with the LaScalas.

I have perfect corners, though I wasn't happy with the width (15.5 ft) of the room. And I'm still happier with Lascalas.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, henry4841 said:

Especially when you add a decent sub into the mix. When buying my LS I figured out that I really do not have the room required for K-horns. With LS you suffer some bass loss over the K-horn but the bass it does make is pure horn bass. Something that is very rare in speakers. Love K-horns and always desired a pair years ago but now happy with LS and good sub.

There is quite a difference in what Bass that you get The only superlative that comes to mind ....

is " fast"

• Like 1

7 hours ago, henry4841 said:

With LS you suffer some bass loss over the K-horn but the bass it does make is pure horn bass. Something that is very rare in speakers. Love K-horns and always desired a pair years ago but now happy with LS and good sub.

Technically, it's not a horn Below 104 Hz., so you are getting Direct Radiator Doghouse Bass loaded in a really really tight internal corner. What you do get is Greater Phase Coherence because the voice coils in the Woofer and Midrange are aligned to within an approximate Quarter Wave, which the Khorn does not have unless you go active with time delays.

Having lived with Khorns and LaScalas for well over 30 years, in addition to better phase coherence I would prefer LaScalas with 2 complementary Subwoofers to get bass down to 20 Hz., which even the mighty Khorn will not do.

No matter because the new JUBILEE stomps them both, if you can afford the admission price.

2 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

What you do get is Greater Phase Coherence because the voice coils in the Woofer and Midrange are aligned to within an approximate Quarter Wave, which the Khorn does not have unless you go active with time delays.

So what would your estimate be for the time delay of either the Khorn tweeter or midrange to achieve time alignment with the woofer? I did go active crossover and made a guess, but had no way to measure if that was accurate.

For whatever reason, I've been deliberating on Khorns for my upstairs room.  But, then I remember that it's 15' width (and 28 deep) but I do sit 14' back and, not to mention, the prices are wackadoo right now.   Maybe they will come back down like the housing market has shifted, again, with the rise of interest rates.  (sure glad I'm at 2.75%)  I really have ho desire to pay $4k+ for a pair.  Just not worth it to me; so I tend to talk myself out of it.

1 minute ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

I paid $2400 used 20 years  ago   you are not going to have these it seems. 😀

True.  Sadly enough, I had to sell a pair of 1978 KWO's I bought from the original owner in 2008.  It was my first post on this forum, actually.  They were all original and immaculate and I paid $500 for the pair.  He was a retired Delta airlines pilot and they were downsizing some things.  I bought the Khorns, a pair of custom made Barzillay cabinets with tambour doors, and some other things from him.  Helluva nice guy.  I sadly had to sell them when the company I was with went under in 2009 and I sold tons of stuff off, sold my house, paid everything off, and went back to college at 43.  I wish I could have kept them.  The images are long gone from that thread but this is what  they looked like.

015 (2017_10_06 01_49_14 UTC).JPG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Quad Khorns said:

So what would your estimate be for the time delay of either the Khorn tweeter or midrange to achieve time alignment with the woofer? I did go active crossover and made a guess, but had no way to measure if that was accurate.

It's about 2-3  milliseconds

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

It's about 2-3  milliseconds

I estimated the delay at about 1.5 ms at 70F, or around 1.7 ft of additional travel of the sound wave from the woofer compared to the midrange. I almost rationalized that PWK took that into account and designed the bass bin travel to align about with the mid (not the tweeter of course).

It's a little ambiguous how to compare the woofer wave horn exit to the midranges'...

When I listen to my old 1977 LaScala I have the impression that these differences in running time are somewhat overrated. It sounds "right" despite all that. It might be different to get it "right" between midrange and tweeter. But even there, I don't consciously mind it the way it is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quad Khorns said:

I estimated the delay at about 1.5 ms at 70F, or around 1.7 ft of additional travel of the sound wave from the woofer compared to the midrange. I almost rationalized that PWK took that into account and designed the bass bin travel to align about with the mid (not the tweeter of course).

It's a little ambiguous how to compare the woofer wave horn exit to the midranges'...

Former President of Klipsch, Bob Moers (who made Klipsch successful) told me 2 Milliseconds. Only your tastebuds can tell how much salt to put in your soup. Any more precision requires impulse responses, which are beyond the scope of this text.

• Klipsch Employees
8 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Technically, it's not a horn Below 104 Hz., so you are getting Direct Radiator Doghouse Bass loaded in a really really tight internal corner. What you do get is Greater Phase Coherence because the voice coils in the Woofer and Midrange are aligned to within an approximate Quarter Wave, which the Khorn does not have unless you go active with time delays.

Having lived with Khorns and LaScalas for well over 30 years, in addition to better phase coherence I would prefer LaScalas with 2 complementary Subwoofers to get bass down to 20 Hz., which even the mighty Khorn will not do.

No matter because the new JUBILEE stomps them both, if you can afford the admission price.

???? What ????

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, KT88 said:

When I listen to my old 1977 LaScala I have the impression that these differences in running time are somewhat overrated. It sounds "right" despite all that. It might be different to get it "right" between midrange and tweeter. But even there, I don't consciously mind it the way it is.

I agree  , I don’t hear  any negative effect either  . And that also goes for the Khorn bass bin delay  , I guess someone would need to explain to me just what to listen for , maybe then I could appreciate the issue   . I understand the concept of course ,but I’ve always considered it as more of a technical flaw ,with little to no real world impact on audible sound quality.

• Like 2