Khorn question

svberger

34 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Oooh, about 12 inches too low. What's ths space between the left and right walls to the mantel on the FP?. You should use some cardboard/heavy paper to draw the dimensions and cut it out to see how it would fit on the floor. It's hard to picture with the other speakers sitting there.

43" between walls and mantel.

6 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

If you don't want to mess with enclosed backs and are looking for 'plug and play' do not buy K Horns.  They take some work to get right and you will just get frustrated.  Room also looks kind of narrow and you will likely have to sit too close because the drivers fire out from the corners at 45 degrees.  Narrow room means a smaller triangle and you need to sit a decent distance back for the drovers to converge.

Stick with La Scalas and if some Cornwalls or Chorus pop up, or even better Fortes, they should work very well in your room and be plug and play. 

The thing is, where others are obsessive about getting things just right, going to  lengths to modify rooms and gear, I'm not. I can just plug and play stuff that others wouldn't. I let my ears decide, and in most cases there's never an issue. The Allison One speakers are a good example. They are designed to go flat against a wall, with at least 2 feet from any sidewall. And I've done that. But I've also had them closer to the sidewall, and I've had them out from the walls and into the room. Mostly to experiment. And while the sound is, admittedly, better when placed as design, I still feel I get at least 90% of that performance when placed not to design.

I have a pair of '77 Cornwalls. They are another example. Hate them against walls or in corners. Like them much more out in the room. But ultimately don't like anywhere as much as I like La Scala's. And we know how that speaker polarizes people.

So I thank you for your advice, but I know myself, and while I am asking for and listening to advice, I think ultimately, if given the opportunity, will get them. And once I do, I'll figure out if I need to improve them or if they bring me enough joy as is to just sit back and enjoy.

12 hours ago, svberger said:

Hi Heinz,

Thanks very much for the encouragement. The reason why I'm particularly interested in these is that they are local with a delivery option, and the seller is open to trades. I have a lot of gear not being used that I can trade, so that this might be a little or no cash outlay.

Here's a picture of my room that can give you a good look at the corners. Behind the curtains are windows. So I would be jamming the Khorns there and from everything I've read those would not be sufficient enough without either false corners, or additional wood added to the speakers. Neither option is realistic for me. I just want to move them into the corners and start listening. Since I'm not looking for the last drop of bass(remember, I like my La Scala's without subs and think they have plenty of bass) I would think that I could still get decent performance out of these Khorns without doing a thing. At least performance that would be good enough for me. I have a nice pair of Dean's Jupiter Flat Stacks Type A crossovers that I would use with them. The seller indicates that the drivers are original and sound great. Obviously I would listen before final commitment.

spacer.png

Ooohhhh That's a bad room for KornerHorns. 😟

You mention being happy with the bass of LS sans sub. The biggest selling point of the khorn over the LS is that folded horn bass driver and how it couples to the room when situated tight in a corner. Without that option you may feel it's a draw, or even prefer the LS.

I'd say keep the LS and spend the $$ you would have spent on the khorns to upgrade your existing front end or amplification. Just MHO......

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, svberger said:

Thanks.

So in other words, so they still would need perfect corners to be used as is?

Those look exactly like my 1977 KCBR's. The very BEST year they were made, IMHO. If you just add plywood to further enclose the horns they will perform good enough not to fit tightly into a corner (real or built). I had to build ONE false corner for my pair, while Paul W. Klipsch himself had 2 false corners for his setup at home.

I you add plywood and seal the sides, acting as a "partial corner" built onto the horn (bass section only), then it will allow for bending the old "you must have a perfect corner" Rules, quite a bit before you have a performance issue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

You mention being happy with the bass of LS sans sub. The biggest selling point of the khorn over the LS is that folded horn bass driver and how it couples to the room when situated tight in a corner. Without that option you may feel it's a draw, or even prefer the LS.

I'd say keep the LS and spend the $$ you would have spent on the khorns to upgrade your existing front end or amplification. Just MHO......

The LS's aren't going anywhere. This isn't about replacing the LS's with Khorns. This essentially is about potentially(assuming the seller ever gets back to me) trying Khorns in my space, and seeing if to my ears they provide enjoyment. Who knows, maybe I'll like the way they sound without doing anything to them, and use that as a springboard to get off my lazy rear end and figure out a way to seal them up, build false corners, etc. What I'm quite sure wouldn't happen is if that get in here, and I hate them and then try to improve them by running down rabbit holes trying every possible solution there is. I'm quite sure that I wouldn't hate them though. I've seen enough folks set them up in much more awful set ups then I'm proposing and sing their praises, admitting that they are not set up correctly and still are providing a big wow factor.

As for my front end, with 3 fantastic McIntosh tube amps, plus 2 excellent McIntosh solid state amps, I'm quite sure there is no need to upgrade anything.

But thanks for your opinion.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, svberger said:

assuming the seller ever gets back to me) trying Khorns in my space, and seeing if to my ears they provide enjoyment. Who knows, maybe I'll like the way they sound without doing anything to them, and use that as a springboard to get off my lazy rear end and figure out a way to seal them up, build false corners, etc.

After seeing the photo you provided, I don't think you need to do anything except get them as close to the corners as you can and go for it. You have to have the bowl of soup first and foremost before you decide how much salt to put in it to "improve" the taste. It's your taste buds, so get the soup and GO FOR IT!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

After seeing the photo you provided, I don't think you need to do anything except get them as close to the corners as you can and go for it. You have to have the bowl of soup first and foremost before you decide how much salt to put in it to "improve" the taste. It's your taste buds, so get the soup and GO FOR IT!

You get it. Thanks very much.

• Like 1

I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but the bass section of the Khorn (the section that needs to seal to the wall) is only about 40" tall (my 1980 model anyway), so they may fit under your window. This doesn't take into account any interference a window sill or trim may present, but you may be able to rig up something to overcome any interference, such as thick enough sealing material on the tail board to allow enough top hat clearance (you'd have to live with a gap between the wall and top hat).

As with any type of purchase, you need to ask yourself if you can live with the worst case - you don't like them, you spent $$, time and effort of moving and installing them, and then the hassle of re-selling.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tom05 said:

Looks like another Klipsch Forum success story , 🤓 It sure is satisfying to help others spend their money , I’ll be sleeping good tonight 🤓

Except in this case, little to no money will be spent if the deal goes down.

And to be clear, I will not ever spend what is the going rate on Khorns at this point in my life. I will only ever get them if they can be delivered, and I can trade for them. Otherwise, my set up is complete.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, svberger said:

Except in this case, little to no money will be spent if the deal goes down.

And to be clear, I will not ever spend what is the going rate on Khorns at this point in my life. I will only ever get them if they can be delivered, and I can trade for them. Otherwise, my set up is complete.

That being said, if I am to lay out cash for these, would really appreciate some thoughts on what a fair price might be. The ask for these is $5500, but he's open to offers, plus trade.

spacer.png

spacer.png