Harbor Freight Floor Jacks

tigerwoodKhorns

My 30 year old floor jack finally died.  Puked up its oil and stopped spinning. 

I do very little auto work anymore, just maintenance because everyone that I hire seems to do a half a$$ed job and I keep my vehicles for about 20 years or more.  I have a 4 door sedan, a slightly lifted Silverado, and an Airstream / Mercedes Sprinter that is a heavy pig (about 11K lbs).  So I prefer a low profile but also a high lift and heavy duty. 

Harbor Freight has this jack below, Dayton super duty modeled after a Snap On.  I went there yesterday and it is actually beautiful in candy apple red.  Awesome reviews.  3 ton, low profile, 24" lift and super heavy duty.  Does anyone have it?  My only concern is that it weights 110 lbs.  I do not plan on picking it up, just rolling it around so I think it will be OK.  They had it bolted down or I would have taken it for a test drive. 

My brother is a car maniac (as I used to be, but I was cured, I should have just stuck with audio which I got into when I was about 11 years old) and he said to get an aluminum racing jack, but I think that he might put his in a truck when he goes racing.  All of the aluminum jacks seem to be racing which means rapid down.  I like having a lot of control to get the vehicle on the jack stands correctly which is not a concern for racing. 

Anyone using the heavy duty one?  If I buy an aluminum jack I will still need a big bottle jack for my van so the total price is about the same.  HF always seems to have sales too and black Friday is coming up.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/jacks-jack-stands/3-ton-low-profile-super-duty-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-sunburst-metallic-orange-57590.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/jacks-jack-stands/3-ton-aluminum-racing-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-64544.html

I also have not been to HF in years, they have really stepped up their game in some areas.  The Icon tool boxes are just plain awesome.  Some really nice parallel wood clamps too. 

• Like 1

I've got another brand that was the same as the blue one you listed as that private label jack design has NOT changed in YEARS if not more than a decade... it's aight. it is still friggen heavy.

it's never failed or lost range of motion, but its far from top of the line. wheels are still strong and decently made. I have used it extensively in auto instances...

they seem to have gotten expensive due to inflation.

I have a yellow Dayton. A few years old and works great.  It is heavy and built to last.  The Dayton won a few hydraulic lift value shootouts on Youtube and it was compared to the Snap On. Check those out if you're still on the fence.

56 minutes ago, Max2 said:

I have a yellow Dayton. A few years old and works great.  It is heavy and built to last.  The Dayton won a few hydraulic lift value shootouts on Youtube and it was compared to the Snap On. Check those out if you're still on the fence.

Is it a big deal to move around?  I need to move it a little distance to my RV pad.  No lifting, just wheeling around. 

1 hour ago, Tom05 said:

This is always my first choice at home.Its a 2 1/4 ton , small lightweight , made of steel and inexpensive.88F7151F-F417-41EF-BD9F-948B9066A27F.thumb.jpeg.1ecf28f205d898140dd6743e2250c497.jpeg88F7151F-F417-41EF-BD9F-948B9066A27F.thumb.jpeg.1ecf28f205d898140dd6743e2250c497.jpeg

I have a trolley jack.  I use in an emergency or maybe if I need to take it with me. 

The big jacks have better control and lift way easier with much less effort.  I work out in a weight room, not when maintaining a car. 😁   You can get a very nice floor jack for $100 which is what I paid 30 years ago. 

8 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

Buddy of mine owns an auto repair shop and uses a few of those low profile 3 ton Pittsburgh jacks from HF. He gets good service from them and bragged on how good they were when I asked.

I think that I need the big one.  It is used in many auto shops.,  My only concern is the weight but I think it has good quality wheels.  I need the tall lift and extra heavy duty for my van. 

1 hour ago, amped said:

Have you seen this..?

I have no personal experience, btw

Yes I have seem similar comparisons.  I'll need to watch this one.  I also saw the jack in person and actually, in candy apple red is looked so nice.

I want it and need it, the only concern is the weight.  But if it rolls nicely that i snot an issue. 

1 hour ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I just watched the video, I didn't realize that it was Project Farm.  He has great videos.  I think this seals the deal, he picked the Daytona. 

2 jacks   stand out ,  the   Arcan ,  55 lbs , no welds  , same performance as  the Daytona which is pretty slick , and heavy at 103 lbs 

7 minutes ago, OO1 said:

2 jacks   stand out ,  the   Arcan ,  55 lbs , no welds  , same performance as  the Daytona which is pretty slick , and heavy at 103 lbs 

Yes looks nice, maybe an aluminum / steel hybrid.  But can it safely lift an 11,000 lb vehicle? The Dayton can lift either end and is built to do so.  Also goes 4" higher.

https://www.amazon.com/Arcan-ALJ3T-Aluminum-Floor-Jack/dp/B0047D2FWM?qu=eyJxc2MiOiIzLjQxIiwicXNhIjoiMi45NCIsInFzcCI6IjIuOTEifQ%3D%3D

Some bad reviews for the Arcan on Amazon too, the Dayton gets glowing reviews everywhere. 

20221022_070453.thumb.jpg.5d905317c7b29f2ea2cf43eeec29d680.jpgI'm selective of what I'll buy from HF and yes they have stepped up their game as of late. I do own these two floor jacks and both have served well. I own a Snap-On torque wrench and purchased 3 of HF's Icon torque wrenches which are every bet as accurate and well made as the Snap-On. Don't hesitate to go with HF floor jacks, no problems there.