Western Electric 91E amp review!

tube fanatic

I would love to hear this compared to my EVO 400!!! I am just always curious! but ----- since I don't have an extra $15,000 sitting around I guess I will have to stay curious. I'm always amazed when people spend over $50,000 for a pair of speakers and over $10,000 for an integrated amp or more on separates. 

How many guys here would care if a transistor was doing half the work in the amp? I mean you cannot break the laws of physics and people are going to start asking questions on how they are getting 20 watts from a single 300b without melting the plates.

Although the stereophile review linked above throws out the term SET to describe the amplifier when it's not, I was wondering what WE says in their sales literature. They were very smart in their wording to not call it a SET amplifier, instead they write "The 91E is the latest advancement in single-ended sound".  See that, they did not write "single-ended amplifiers" or "Single-ended topology" etc..   They specifically only wrote sound because it's a totem pole push pull amplifier with the 300b and a transistor sharing the load current. I'm betting that since the two active devices have dissimilar output characteristics the even harmonics aren't cancelled like they would be in normal push pull amplifier giving the rich even harmonics sound of a single ended topology.

10 hours ago, captainbeefheart said:

How many guys here would care if a transistor was doing half the work in the amp? I mean you cannot break the laws of physics and people are going to start asking questions on how they are getting 20 watts from a single 300b without melting the plates.

Although the stereophile review linked above throws out the term SET to describe the amplifier when it's not, I was wondering what WE says in their sales literature. They were very smart in their wording to not call it a SET amplifier, instead they write "The 91E is the latest advancement in single-ended sound".  See that, they did not write "single-ended amplifiers" or "Single-ended topology" etc..   They specifically only wrote sound because it's a totem pole push pull amplifier with the 300b and a transistor sharing the load current. I'm betting that since the two active devices have dissimilar output characteristics the even harmonics aren't cancelled like they would be in normal push pull amplifier giving the rich even harmonics sound of a single ended topology.

Interesting info on the details of operation. I bet it does sound really good coming from Western Electric. That is if their R&D is anywhere as good as it once was. Probably should consider it an investment if purchasing one. Should hold it's value but only time will tell. Out of my league price wise but interesting. 

8 hours ago, rebuy said:

I'll just stay with my Primaluna.

I love my Primaluna and have Zero desire to replace it but I am always curious about different audio gear. When I read glowing reviews of Pass Labs amps or Decware amps etc… I want to hear them in my living room. This is the same way I feel about Wilson Speakers or Revel, JBL, Focal or Tannoy etc etc…  being curious is different from being unhappy with my system. My EVO 400, Forte IVs, REL sub, provide hours of musical enjoyment every day.

2 hours ago, michaelwjones said:

You might pique your curiosity as Upscale's website indicates they now have this unit in stock.

Thanks for that heads up. I will call Kat at Upscale and setup a demo of the Western Electric versus an EVO 400 like mine. I can’t imagine spending $15,000 for an amp but I’d still love to hear it. It is clearly above my bank account situation but it’s fun to dream about cool audio gear.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2022 at 11:02 AM, Fido said:

Thanks for that heads up. I will call Kat at Upscale and setup a demo of the Western Electric versus an EVO 400 like mine. I can’t imagine spending $15,000 for an amp but I’d still love to hear it. It is clearly above my bank account situation but it’s fun to dream about cool audio gear.

Let us know after your comparison.