Klipsch La Scala woofer stopped working

bsacco1

On 10/23/2022 at 9:11 PM, the real Duke Spinner said:

Check the Cone for an EIA number you might get a replacement part from Eminence as I believe they produced this

Eminence won't sell the Klipsch part directly to end users.

If it's toast and you have the funds, I would buy two and put your original good one in a box as a spare. The K-33x is a great woofer and should last another 40-50 years.

First wait to see if Dave has one to send you.

• Like 2

Yes, I never heard back from Dave, so I don't know...

Does anyone know how to test the tolerances of my horns and crossover caps in these speakers?

I'm not an electronic tech by any stretch but I have a multimeter and can follow instructions.

the new woofers can handle more power ,  it's  a better product    ,  recone kits are aftermarket , so lower quality + a recone will cost more than 129$ 

BTW klipsch does not make  money  selling woofers  for 129$  .

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, bsacco1 said:

Does anyone know how to test the tolerances of my horns and crossover caps in these speakers?

I'm not an electronic tech by any stretch but I have a multimeter and can follow instructions.

You do not need to know any of that

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

You do not need to know any of that

OK. 

I'd also like to update my caps in the AA Crossover in these speakers. Does anyone know what type of caps (values and manufacturer) to use?

I think there are only 3 caps per speaker on the LaScala. I think I did a re-cap years ago on my Cornwalls using Solen.

Best, b

6 hours ago, bsacco1 said:

Sorry about that. My wife has had a rough couple of days and I just plain forgot. I will try to get them looked at this evening.

On 10/24/2022 at 9:52 AM, captainbeefheart said:

If you have a shorted voice coil re-coning the speaker is not going to help you at all. You need the voice coil replaced.

Winner, winner Chicken Dinner.

That's what I was going to post if i did not find this...

How do you melt the insulation on the voice coil winding of a LaScala? DC current that did not get to the mids and tweets?

Are the mids and tweeters Ok?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

A re- cap might be in order as Electrolytic s dry out from age

The AA network doesn't have any aluminum electrolytic capacitors to dry out. In fact the problem is the opposite, moisture.

Polymer caps (film) can be hygroscopic or non-hygroscopic. Hygroscopic means that it absorbs moisture. The mylar caps in the AA network are a type of polyester, or technically biaxially-oriented PET. Unfortunately PET is hygroscopic. Polypropylene and polystyrene are examples of non-hygroscopic polymers.

Over time the moisture degrades the performance of the capacitor. The plates get corroded. Dissipation factor increases. Since dissipation factor is the ratio of equivalent series resistance to capacitive reactance, we can see why we need to replace the capacitors - increased ESR can start to alter the desired transfer function of the filter network.

If the network does have a capacitor in the woofer network it most likely is Aluminum electrolytic and yes it could be dried out if a wet type dielectric paste and will too need to be replaced.

12 hours ago, babadono said:

Winner, winner Chicken Dinner.

That's what I was going to post if i did not find this...

How do you melt the insulation on the voice coil winding of a LaScala? DC current that did not get to the mids and tweets?

Are the mids and tweeters Ok?

I don't know how a lot of things are done. I was once working on an LSI and when I opened it up there were char marks at the top of the slot where the woofer mounts. A true rockin hot concert no doubt. My respect for SLV types only grew as I looked at the replacement woofer labeled Taiwan with no model number.

5 minutes ago, babadono said:

Always? I did not know that. Thanks.

My experience with companies that do speaker repairs is that a re-cone does not have anything to do with the voice coil. A re-cone is just that, they re-cone the speaker and that's it.

Usually there is a repair form that is placed inside the box along with the speaker to have repaired. If you have issues like damaged voice coil, bent basket causing rubbing of voice coil, etc.... The company evaluates all the repairs needed and then gives you a price for the needed repairs. A full repair can include many things including even bead blasting and re-painting, voice coil repair, new spider, re-cone, basket balancing, etc...... The more work needed the higher the price gets.

I have never done business with a speaker repair facility that had a flat fee for all work done where a "re-cone" also meant they will fix other issues like the voice coil.