Scott 299b vs Fisher 500b

Amphicar

Good morning folks!  I have never owned a tube amplifier before.  I have an opportunity to trade an existing amp for either a Fisher 500b or a Scott 299b, both have been serviced, both are within spitting distance price wise.  I like the look of both, I don’t need the tuning capabilities of the Fisher, and having the Scott integrated would be beneficial to me.  What are the thoughts of other owners?  Thanks!

I currently own and have owned many Scott and Fisher units.  Doesn't really matter whether you need the tuner section of the Fisher, what you are concerned with are the preamp and power sections.  Both are excellent units, and it really comes down to personal preference and what speakers you will be driving.  If you can listen to both, do it.

1 hour ago, tube fanatic said:

Can you find out who did the servicing and exactly what was done?  Owning vintage gear can be costly if critical components were not replaced resulting in failure.

Maynard

Yes, he has receipts for both.  It would not be my first piece of vintage gear, I have had a dozen or so amps in various states of repair.  

15 hours ago, seti said:

I've had both Scott, Fishers, and Sherwoods but my preference is Fishers. That being said you couldn't go wrong with either choice and that is a good place to be 8-) 

Excellent! I believe we are making a swap for the Scott in the next week or two.

I have a Scott 299b partially restored, got it out the other day thinking I might list it for sale. After a warmup from sitting unused for about 2 years I remembered why I love el84 amps. I don’t have an opinion on the fisher as I’ve never owned one and have only heard them a few times. As others have said you really can’t go wrong with either of they’ve been properly serviced or better yet restored. Can you take your speakers and go have a listen to them both?

On 10/27/2022 at 8:28 AM, Madman1 said:

I have a Scott 299b partially restored, got it out the other day thinking I might list it for sale. After a warmup from sitting unused for about 2 years I remembered why I love el84 amps. I don’t have an opinion on the fisher as I’ve never owned one and have only heard them a few times. As others have said you really can’t go wrong with either of they’ve been properly serviced or better yet restored. Can you take your speakers and go have a listen to them both?

Not exactly, my speakers are KPT-904’s and he is two hours away.  

• Haha 2