Let that SINK IN...

Schu

5 minutes ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

Humans are infinitely curious and crave gossip. News is just the technological incarnation of gossip.

No one thinks a reporter is in the War Room, or in a Cabinet meeting, or in  the FBI as they review cases, right? Ergo, what reporters get is a statement from a spokesperson. That is simply gossip. They have no conceivable way to verify what they are told, aside from more statements by more spokespersons.

All governments everywhere operate in as much secrecy as they can muster. When the government speaks they are naturally creating the narrative they want people to accept. 

To ever know what's going on the tool we peasants have is the "exhaust vapors." Track the historical data that flows from government action. For example, with inflation one can look back at mountains of data from 2019-2022 and pretty easily piece together what happened to cause this inflation. But you won't get their spokesman to explain it to you on the news.

Right, but even ZBig wrote books telling people what he was thinking and up to and he was pretty forthright in explaining his intentions (in his particularly chosen linguistic way), then he would go on shows explaining his position on occasion. You know, stuff that adults who really want to know what's going on might read or watch. As unpleasant as some of that was at least it was "horses mouth" and you understood his position. But instead you get to listen to some bubblehead tell you to accept whatever it is that is happening under the guise of some WWE style presentation (making the old Saturday Night Live "Point/Counterpoint" look like some version of the proverbial vacuum tube compared to today) where it's endless "SQUIRREL" and innuendo nonstop and nowhere for the "adults" to get real, hard information on anything besides being almost one's own researcher and just watching results after the fact. There's very little "horses mouth" anymore, they are all sitting behind rows of these bubbleheads, playing a game of "access" via screens primarily, and they don't get access unless they sell the power's version of events. No real "facts on the ground" because it's impossible to get "hard reporting" when you are sitting on your a-- in a glass lined studio in New York. News bureaus used to spend some of that money on reporters nationally such that they at least had some "institutional knowledge of the region" and now it's just some "spokesmodel personality" functioning as "infotainment" asking the dumbest questions in the universe while setting a narrative begun before she ever got on the plane to do that job in the first place.

There was a time when SOME investigative journalism was done by these orgs, but not much today, in part because it takes real research and legwork to do the stories but also stories tend to end up limited to what does not affect overall corporate profits. Whatever politic the various outlets display really doesn't mean much, it's all attempts to gain slices of the potential audience and make money for the parent corporation.

The first and primary ideology and directive of modern news orgs is profit.

When the "head" on one side of the screen says "The Sky Is Blue" and the other side says "No, it's made of green cheese" and the moderator allows the viewer to think theres'a 50% chance that one side OR the other is correct, and then calls that "balance", then the only choice I'm left with at that point is to thank whatever dude in the sky runs things that I had a vasectomy and didn't have any kids. I just don't know where to go with suggestions on the news biz after that, let alone any valid opinions about it, and the implications of all this are unnerving to say the least. 

"We're a wh---house of a network and we have to take anything we can get." - Paul Hackett

"You're never gonna get any truth from us - we lie like hell." - Howard Beale

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Audible Nectar said:

There was a time when SOME investigative journalism was done by these orgs, but not much today

Right. I think the most significant change that killed off investigative reporting was the outrageous 21st century stampede to prosecute and imprison "whistle blowers." Dozens of men and women have been thrown in the clink by the DOJ for exposing "truths" or "facts" that were just too inconvenient, and this has effectively smothered old school investigatove journalism. When I hear people say they want REAL news, I want to remind them that those reporters are in JAIL CELLS rotting and waiting to die - no names need be mentioned.

But, this all leads to a much MUCH bigger social problem: Populations are buying the illusions of civilization wholesale.

They are accepting the entire theatrical presentation of the competition of nations, religions, political parties, news, sports, surveillance grids, wars, TV, Internet, economics, as though they were thinking, "Yeah - this is what life is!" And being swept into this synthetic vortex of relentless "behavior control" they have lost the 2M year heritage of the species. They are trading in life's magic for endless E-ticket rides through a synthesized Disney-like experience being staged by the likes of silly businessmen, celebs, and Pols.  It's REALLY hard to resist the vortex!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
On 11/1/2022 at 11:43 AM, RealMarkDeneen said:

Right. I think the most significant change that killed off investigative reporting was the outrageous 21st century stampede to prosecute and imprison "whistle blowers." Dozens of men and women have been thrown in the clink by the DOJ for exposing "truths" or "facts" that were just too inconvenient, and this has effectively smothered old school investigatove journalism. When I hear people say they want REAL news, I want to remind them that those reporters are in JAIL CELLS rotting and waiting to die - no names need be mentioned.

Unfortunately this thread ran off the rails and went political a few posts later. 

Regarding "whistle blowers" I'm sure there are many in jail, however, it's usually related to being prosecuted for divulging secret information (Chelsea Manning and Snowden are the two most recent famous). Chelsea's sentence (by court martial, not the DOJ)  was commuted and she isn't in prison. Snowden was never in prison, apparently living the life in Russia. 

There are no "reporters" currently in prison in the USA: https://rsf.org/en/country/united-states

image.thumb.png.e3994ad4dc4a15385187f070b6e26652.png

There have been some reporters in jail or faced with the possibility of jail, for not revealing sources. There is a famous one from Texas that spend 186 (I believe) days in jail for refusing to reveal a source or her notes to a Grand Jury. I believe she spent the longest amount of time in jail in the US as a reporter jailed for contempt for refusal to divulge a source or information from the source. 

The two other go to sources for attacks on freedom of the press in the US are:

https://pressfreedomtracker.us/

and 

The Columbia Journalism Review: https://www.cjr.org/

• Like 1