RF-5 parts - what to do?

bobcataville

Hello from a long time lurker, avid loud music listener & first time poster

I've had a "Klipsch" alert on Craigslist for a few years now & recently acquired the drivers/XOs from a set of RF-5's

<hope to post the sale image>

Not quite sure what to do with them at the moment. 

Obviously they'll need some form of box, ideally I'd make a bookshelf a-la RB-5/RB-75 (had some RB-75's & wish I hadn't let them go)

Research & practicality is telling me that I don't really want to mess with the issues of mixing a single driver with double the ohms the tweeter is expecting on any network that's not reinventing the wheel.

That's kind of brought me to where I am currently of mimicking the RC-7 box volume & ending up with a bit of an oversized bookshelf. 

I'm assuming that I'd have to go TWW as opposed to the D'Appolito on the RF-7 (that is the reason the RF-7 is 2.5 way XO correct?)

This is mostly a "fun with Klipsch" post but sadly it's also a new guy asking a question...

Basically just wondering if I'm crazy thinking it'll all work well.

The K-1083 woofer is used in more than a few designs so it seems pretty versatile. 

However, I don't know enough about OX design to know if there's something specific about the filter where the reduced internal volume will mess things up.

If it seems a reasonable course does anyone know the specs on the RC-7 ports? Looks like two flared 2" but not sure the length. 

I'm not the best woodworker so I'll probably sit on the project for a bit, oddly a pair of RF-3 boxes was on CL a while back, something like that would make it a lot easier...

Anywho, crank it if you've got the watts!

Thanks - JL

00d0d_dncJ0TdYrrYz_0FO0ve_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/27/2022 at 8:13 AM, bobcataville said:

That's kind of brought me to where I am currently of mimicking the RC-7 box volume & ending up with a bit of an oversized bookshelf. 

I'm assuming that I'd have to go TWW as opposed to the D'Appolito on the RF-7 (that is the reason the RF-7 is 2.5 way XO correct?)

I've used RF-5 parts in RC-7 cabinets before and they worked great. No need to worry about tapered array (2.5 way) crossover if you stand them on end vertically and don't think it really matters if you go WTW or TWW, I'd probably put the tweeter in the middle myself like the RC-7. Sounds like a fun project, well worth it IMO you'll have a very nice sounding set when you're done. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies.

I forgot to sign up for the email alerts.

Great to know about the current 2 way XO being okay vertically, that makes it a lot easier.

@jjptkd - you don't happen to know the specs on the RC-7 ports do you?

I figure the internal volume should be easy enough to calculate.

I may do an in-wall with them since I'm not wasting a box to do it & they'd be some of the best in-walls ever (may need a new house here first ;)

Anyway, there's other projects in front so this is just the fact finding phase.

Thanks for entertaining my musings. 

On 10/27/2022 at 11:13 AM, bobcataville said:

does anyone know the specs on the RC-7 ports?

Have a pair of RC-7's as L/R for TV sound.  From memory, ports are about 2-3" wide, flared and about 2" deep. Haha; stuffed mine with socks as they are in a bookcase against a rear wall. Did not seem to make much of a difference :)  Hope someone with a "center" RC-7 can give you better specs as it would take me more than an hour to take these "down." :) 

• 4 months later...