Amp for Subs?

chassell

I'm finally building a couple of THTs to go with my LS industrials. This is the system that I have in my shop. The LSIs are powered by a Yamaha A-S801 integrated amp that has a single sub-out and also unused "B" set of stereo outputs. I'm looking for an amp to power the THTs and the best way to set this up.  TIA.

There’s some really good videos on YouTube to help you get into the miniDSP and REW.  I was pretty fortunate that where I placed my THTs they only needed a tiny bit of EQ.  This is my measured response from them after I dialed them in.  I put a steep high pass filter at 16Hz to give the amp more headroom.

9634A19D-1491-403E-BB70-94507CF51324.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, The Dude said:

Actually just finished the following video which I highly recommend if setting up multiple subs.

Thanks!  That's just what I need!  Finished up with the subs this week and picked up a Crown XLS 1502 to run them. Pretty happy with my 1st build.  image.thumb.png.c490fb9cbdea53104974449d22437e06.png

On 10/29/2022 at 2:22 PM, wuzzzer said:

There’s some really good videos on YouTube to help you get into the miniDSP and REW.  I was pretty fortunate that where I placed my THTs they only needed a tiny bit of EQ.  This is my measured response from them after I dialed them in.  I put a steep high pass filter at 16Hz to give the amp more headroom.

Impressive!

Will you please share how you took this measurement? I have two THTLPs but haven’t gotten satisfactory measurements with them. I’m not satisfied with the MiniDSP settings I’ve gotten from REW when measuring at MLP.

Usually, when measuring a speaker the microphone is positioned horizontally, 1 m from the speaker mouth. That technique doesn’t apply to subwoofers, especially to ones where the mouth is 6’ above the floor!

Where did you position the microphone when measuring your THTLPs?

4 hours ago, Dave MacKay said:

Impressive!

Will you please share how you took this measurement? I have two THTLPs but haven’t gotten satisfactory measurements with them. I’m not satisfied with the MiniDSP settings I’ve gotten from REW when measuring at MLP.

Usually, when measuring a speaker the microphone is positioned horizontally, 1 m from the speaker mouth. That technique doesn’t apply to subwoofers, especially to ones where the mouth is 6’ above the floor!

Where did you position the microphone when measuring your THTLPs?

At my main listening position, microphone at ear level pointing up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/29/2022 at 2:22 PM, wuzzzer said:

I measured my subwoofers (2 x THTLP) the same way you did (UMIK-1, vertical orientation, ear level at MLP). However, my graph is nowhere near as nice as yours:

1987552409_THTLPsatMLP.png.9d482047fbaa5ecbe76434c78674edb5.png

I'll be paying careful attention to the YouTube video that @The Dude posted in the hope of improving my setup.

1 hour ago, Dave MacKay said:

I measured my subwoofers (2 x THTLP) the same way you did (UMIK-1, vertical orientation, ear level at MLP). However, my graph is nowhere near as nice as yours:

1987552409_THTLPsatMLP.png.9d482047fbaa5ecbe76434c78674edb5.png

I'll be paying careful attention to the YouTube video that @The Dude posted in the hope of improving my setup.

The biggest thing that will probably help you is time alignment of the subs.  Just a small adjustment could get rid of that 58Hz null.

• Thanks 1

On 11/13/2022 at 4:34 AM, chassell said:

Thanks!  That's just what I need!  Finished up with the subs this week and picked up a Crown XLS 1502 to run them. Pretty happy with my 1st build.  image.thumb.png.c490fb9cbdea53104974449d22437e06.png

Pink Floyd  Back Catalogue:  I've got the same picture on my living room wall, in a similar size.  It sits above a larger vertical picture of Jimi Hendrix in a military-style jacket and playing a dark sunburst Stratocaster.  Both pictures are lenticular, for a sort of pseudo 3D effect.  Why not?

Nice Industrial Scala, too.

• Like 1