LaScalas……what’s up with these prices?

Shakeydeal

On 10/29/2022 at 8:06 AM, Iteachstem said:

I'm a firm believer in a speaker is worth what it's worth to the person buying it.  If you think it's a good deal, then it is.  Obviously, everyone's income level differs greatly, so one might consider something a good deal while other's may feel like it's priced way out of line

Fwiw, I think this portion of the post has merit...The inflation argument, not so much.

Why so much arguing about theoretical numbers, which only affect most of us indirectly, since only a few of us will be buying or selling at any particular time?  Regardless of individual cases, it looks like prices for used Heritage Series speakers are trending upwards.  That’s good news for people who own those speakers, right?  I think what’s surprising people is that the prices don’t creep up in a slow and steady way, like bank interest.  Instead, it’s more like a sticky hinge:  no movement, then a sudden jump, and then another sticking point, and so on.  We’re starting an era of sudden jumps in prices.  Enjoy the ride, because it will stall at some point.  It always does.  Then, 5 or 10 years from now, these prices will seem “right”, or even low.  And then the next jump will happen.

Almost forgot:  just like a sticky, maybe rusty, hinge, every sudden movement is accompanied by lots of creaking and squawking.  Then silence returns, at least until the next jump.

• Like 2

This should probably be in Alerts!, but since most readers of this thread will be La Scala/LS2 owners, I thought I’d mention that on the US Audio Mart page for “Klipsch la scala”, there is a pair of custom smoked glass tops for La Scala II/AL5 for sale in Kentucky for only $25, pickup only.  I have no affiliation, of course.

They should fit original La Scalas too, but they might stick out about an inch at the back, since the new models of the La Scala are about an inch deeper.  There are no measurements provided, so I’m making some assumptions.  The actual measurements should probably be confirmed.

1 hour ago, Islander said:

They should fit original La Scalas too, but they might stick out about an inch at the back, since the new models of the La Scala are about an inch deeper.  There are no measurements provided, so I’m making some assumptions.  The actual measurements should probably be confirmed.

These tops were on his AL5s which he sold last year. I remember a photo of them at the time. I also spoke to the seller confirming their size.

1136909411_YamScalaRect.thumb.JPG.2e76ba2c0e94a7644a4555a3d77233c3.JPG

Never once did I ever imagine what a "sound" investment these 'Scalas would turn out to be.  I purchased mine simply because the design and the craftsmanship appealed to me - appreciation for their audio capabilities came after.  I was given a 10% discount off the 'Scala and Yam amp "bundle" but they still amounted to a "big ticket" expense to me.  Now I just chuckle (or weep!) at my good fortune.

628457893_ScalaMains.thumb.JPG.68bd767da2153907c1fd2c429d6e03c9.JPG

~

• Like 3

7 hours ago, michaelwjones said:

These tops were on his AL5s which he sold last year. I remember a photo of them at the time. I also spoke to the seller confirming their size.

I wonder why he sold the AL5s after such a short time?  If it’s the person I recall, he seemed pretty happy with them.

20 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

The inflation argument

It's not an argument, it's just a theoretical example to prove a point dealing with inflation.  It's not a real world example because inflation changes often.  Why are so many people fixating on this?