Vinyl LP vs Digital

artto

2 hours ago, RealMarkDeneen said:
3 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

What I find disturbing Is that some new vinyl is cut from Digital sources. 🙄

Now THAT is just bloody funny!

Some old vinyl was cut from a digital source... Brothers in Arms was recorded in digital, mixed through an analog console to make the master.

One of the best LPs I own.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Some old vinyl was cut from a digital source... Brothers in Arms was recorded in digital, mixed through an analog console to make the master.

One of the best LPs I own.

I consider it one of DS least well recorded albums. For me, Love Over Gold and Making Movies are their best efforts, both musically and in production value.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2022 at 7:51 PM, michaelwjones said:

Sold all my vinyl (and extensive/expensive accoutrements to make them quiet) in 2005 and never looked back. The inky blackness of digital is heaven to my ears after nearly 40 years of analogue. Your results may have varied...

You miss Snap, Crackle, Pop ??

Crazy. 🙄

😀

5 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

It's at the least ..

Misrepresentation

Not an all analog path. I personally do not miss the lack of bass and dynamics of vinyl. 🙄

My vinyl spinning experience provides me with lots of bass and great dynamics. There is almost no clicks l or pops from my Mofi fender tt and Puffin phono stage playing into my Primaluna. I don’t think that hi res streaming sounds better nor CDs. I’m spinning Lady Gaga now and dynamics sound textured and bass is very deep, pumping and solid. Spinning EDM sounds great on my vinyl setup.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

I consider it one of DS least well recorded albums. For me, Love Over Gold and Making Movies are their best efforts, both musically and in production value.

We've all got our own opinions...

😄

• Like 1

On 11/2/2022 at 11:19 AM, KT88 said:

I think it is all the more important to have experienced many "real" concerts, the more reference points there are for a beautiful simulation.

What's a "Real" concert?

It seems to me the concert sound is heavily dependent, if not totally dependent, upon the sound technician aka Audio/Sound Engineer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

Below 40 Hz the needle has excursion problems

Hmmmmmmm- interesting!!!! Mid bass and very low bass sounds great when playing Rihana, David Guuetta, Gaga, Ariana Grande etc> I don't care if technically the neeedle could have excursion problems. I am never going to advocate that Vinyl is superior to streaming or CDs but I love spinning Vinyl for many reasons and I understand that some people don't care for Vinyl media. As I said earlier it amazes me that people want to argue about everything audio.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gilbert said:

What's a "Real" concert?

It seems to me the concert sound is heavily dependent, if not totally dependent, upon the sound technician aka Audio/Sound Engineer.

The classical concerts and operas that I attend involve no use of electronics.  The sound is 100% natural.  There are no electronic instruments.   The classical concerts and operas that I attend do NOT use a sound reinforcement system – IOW, the orchestra’s sound and singers’ voices are not amplified.

There are a few scenarios where microphones are used in my local symphony hall and opera house:

1. When the symphony orchestra performs pop concerts (e.g., a tribute to the Beatles, or Christmas pop concert), there may be electronic instruments, and singers using a microphone.

2. When musicals (e.g., “Pirates of Penzance”, “West Side Story”) are performed, a sound reinforcement system is typically used.   IOW, for a musical, the singers use a microphone. 

OTOH, opera performances (e.g., “La traviata”, “La boheme”) in my local opera house do NOT use a sound reinforcement system.   The orchestra’s sound is not amplified.    Opera singers don’t use a microphone.   This is one of the key differences between an opera singer and, for example, a Broadway singer.   (This is not true of all venues where opera is performed – which is a controversial issue.)  

3. If the Executive Director or Conductor makes brief comments before the concert starts, they will use a microphone.

4. All concerts are recorded, which of course involves microphones.   I’ve been consistently told by the past and present Executive Director and CEO that when the Symphony performs the Classical Series of concerts that the microphones are used only for recording – not amplifying the sound in the symphony hall.  

The classical concerts and operas that I attend involve a conductor and orchestra performing live in purpose-built hall.  There is no “sound technician aka Audio/Sound Engineer” involved in the live performance.    

• Like 1