Heritage Jubilee in a Small Room – Three Months in

MMurg

20 hours ago, Quad Khorns said:

My comment wasn't meant in jest... I will save you time in responding and a debate you can't win, by saying I have done it and it works great.

My, my, my ----- A debate that I can't win ..... Your right! Neither of us is interested.

Just to be clear, is your wireless comment referring to source to pre-amp, preamp to amp, amp to speakers? 

In either case, I'm glad it is working for you. 

Note to the poor souls wandering through. My Grandma used to say "if it sounds too good to be true then it probably  ......." 

1 hour ago, PrestonTom said:

My, my, my ----- A debate that I can't win ..... Your right! Neither of us is interested.

Just to be clear, is your wireless comment referring to source to pre-amp, preamp to amp, amp to speakers? 

In either case, I'm glad it is working for you. 

Note to the poor souls wandering through. My Grandma used to say "if it sounds too good to be true then it probably  ......." 

Ahem...you do know this is the 21st century - right?

I will answer a question I think you are asking - source to pre-amp, pre-amp to stereo wireless transmitter, stereo wireless transmitter to right and left receivers, right receiver to right amplifier to right speaker, left receiver to left amplifier to left speaker. Speakers are bi-amped (hence stereo amp at each speaker) but could use mono amp at each along with the speaker crossover. Wireless transmitter/receiver systems like these are made by SVS, Klark Teknik, Denon, and many others. Sound quality specs of transmission are not as good as direct wires of course, but at 105 dB SNR, and 85+ dB THD of the better ones, is more than adequate for rear channel speakers. And certainly, better than the 20th century equipment you must only be familiar with.

If anyone can tell me how to post a picture larger than 2mb I will do so.

Note to the poor wandering souls - I wouldn't trust virtually anyone's Granny regarding current technology and quality of sound (without seeing their hearing test)...and also naysayers that provide no facts or data to support their positions., only throw bombs and run...

Edited by Quad Khorns

2 hours ago, Quad Khorns said:

If anyone can tell me how to post a picture larger than 2mb I will do so.

email it to yourself using the resolution reduction feature when sending picture attachment(s). Copy it from the email to a temp. location then post it. Or use any of several programs that allow you to reduce resolution. 

Look Granny no wires!

Picture is the final setup, the transmitter is mounted behind the TV at top (can't be seen). All sources and pre-amp are on mantel. The receivers are mounted in the top hat space (also can't be seen), and feed R/L signals to 2 channel amps on top of Khorns, which are bi-amped.

Other picture is the test set up to duplicate the concept of final setup. Transmitter in foreground atop the CD player sends signal to R/L wireless receivers inside the amoire from 16 feet away. They send R/L signals to pre-amp/power amp/speakers. Not exactly an identical setup as final, but I was more concerned about the distance plus not having a line of sight to receivers inside a cabinet (or top hat) and finding any latency issues - there were no audible ones heard.864938918_svsresize.thumb.jpg.a61fdddef9c5c28281a4b08f16df196d.jpg

walnut resize.jpg

Edited by Quad Khorns

• Moderators

Sound integration and distance from Khorns/La Scalas. 15’? 30’? I think Mike is absolutely right, you are hearing your rooms interaction at those distances.

They fully integrate at less than 2 meters, and probably at 1’meter.!

where is the microphone placed when they curve the Khorn? LS? Anyone who has seen the chamber will know the answer to this. 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2023 at 11:20 PM, Quad Khorns said:

Look Granny no wires!

Picture is the final setup, the transmitter is mounted behind the TV at top (can't be seen). All sources and pre-amp are on mantel. The receivers are mounted in the top hat space (also can't be seen), and feed R/L signals to 2 channel amps on top of Khorns, which are bi-amped.

Other picture is the test set up to duplicate the concept of final setup. Transmitter in foreground atop the CD player sends signal to R/L wireless receivers inside the amoire from 16 feet away. They send R/L signals to pre-amp/power amp/speakers. Not exactly an identical setup as final, but I was more concerned about the distance plus not having a line of sight to receivers inside a cabinet (or top hat) and finding any latency issues - there were no audible ones heard.864938918_svsresize.thumb.jpg.a61fdddef9c5c28281a4b08f16df196d.jpg

walnut resize.jpg

The original question was about hiding the wire from the amp to speaker (you know ...... the speaker wires). Nothing wireless about that. You have simply stashed the amplifier to be right next to the speaker (or within it).

I don't believe that addresses the original issue about hiding a speaker wire run. So wandering souls should once again listen to Grandma about "if it sounds too good to be true, then ....."

Enough !

-Tom

21 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

I don't believe that addresses the original issue about hiding a speaker wire run. So wandering souls should once again listen to Grandma about "if it sounds too good to be true, then ....."

Enough !

Having a short run of cables at one end of the room isn't nearly as difficult to hide as is running 16-20 feet to the other end of a room.

• Like 2

To be clear, I asked no question about hiding wires.  When I had taken the pictures of the La Scala on the platform I hadn't released additional slack so that I could tuck the wire behind.  I only mentioned it to prevent the "why is the speaker wire hanging like that" questions.  I guess that backfired in a big way.  😁

• Haha 1

The original question was about hiding the wire from the amp to speaker (you know ...... the speaker wires).

No it never was, you are just twisting it to save face.... It was about hiding speakers wires altogether (Do you see any speaker wires?). Re-read the thread.

I don't believe that addresses the original issue about hiding a speaker wire run.

I brought up the original issue! That was to hide speaker wires so they didn't need any coverings if one wanted to do so. MMurg didn't request that, I was just offering an alternative to wire coverings another poster suggested. Re-read the thread.

Apologies again MMurg I will cease the thread jacking, promise.

28 minutes ago, Quad Khorns said:

Apologies again MMurg I will cease the thread jacking, promise.

No worries.  It is the way of such things on forums.  I was just amused how my offhand remark to prevent comments had the unintended consequence of spawning a sideline conversation instead.  🙂 

• 11 months later...
20 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Only down to 60 Hz. without corners, however.

It's not a brickwall cutoff... perhaps you've never actually heard some pulled out from the corners to comment accurately on how they sound. Then again, that would be your opinion.

29 minutes ago, Marvel said:

It's not a brickwall cutoff... perhaps you've never actually heard some pulled out from the corners to comment accurately on how they sound. Then again, that would be your opinion.

Perhaps you can't even imagine how many speakers I have heard over the years, which would also more than validate my "opinion."

IjJust measured Khorns without false corners years ago in 1977 with a db meter which is all I had then. A Klipschorn is only a 4 foot long horn out of a corner, with a rear exit, and it does have less bass against a wall vs. a PROPER sealed corner.

Where are your measurements?

Speakers do not have "brickwall cutoff." Horns can actually output bass below their cutoff.

So basically, all the "rocking" you did was mostly 60 Hz. on up.

Get back to me when you have curves that contradict this. I'm betting you won't either way.

• Klipsch Employees
33 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Perhaps you can't even imagine how many speakers I have heard over the years, which would also more than validate my "opinion."

IjJust measured Khorns without false corners years ago in 1977 with a db meter which is all I had then. A Klipschorn is only a 4 foot long horn out of a corner, with a rear exit, and it does have less bass against a wall vs. a PROPER sealed corner.

Where are your measurements?

Speakers do not have "brickwall cutoff." Horns can actually output bass below their cutoff.

So basically, all the "rocking" you did was mostly 60 Hz. on up.

Get back to me when you have curves that contradict this. I'm betting you won't either way.

It is his opinion….lol!