What exactly is Zip Cord ?

SonofJames

57 minutes ago, mark1101 said:

The low voltage outdoor lighting power cord at lowes and Home Depot had exactly the same 12 ga. stranding as the 12 ga. speaker wire and was a fraction of the cost.  Also has a very durable jacket as it is meant to be buried.  

It looks like its about $36 + tax for 50 foot roll  of 14 gauge, $39 for 12 gauge (cerrowire brand made in usa) at HD, is it really cheaper than bulk zip cord by the foot ?

Edited by SonofJames

I don't know if they have improved it but HD sells a 12 ga zip cord in bulk that is notorious for turning green over time.  Avoid at all costs.

If you want cheap good wire, this Monorpice 12 ga in wall wire is the same price and good stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Access-Gauge-Conductor-Speaker/dp/B003L170C6

Actually cheaper on Amazon right now, but Monorpice will have a sale this month.  100' on Amazon is $51. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SonofJames said:

It looks like its about $36 + tax for 50 foot roll  of 14 gauge, $39 for 12 gauge (cerrowire brand made in usa) at HD, is it really cheaper than bulk zip cord by the foot ?

Well to be fair I said it was cheaper than speaker wire which can get pricey.  🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OO1 said:

Sorry Guys ........  the Approved cable in klipsch Speakers was zip cord , but it is  now marketed as AudioQuest   type 4 -:rolleyes:

Whaaaat?

You're telling me I was right when I was chided for my liking that specific cable?:rolleyes: 

Knew it was put inside either the newer LS II or AL-5. So the solid copper wire in the Star-Quad Geometry AQ cable does beat the oxygen free tinned copper 10g I put above. That had more LF coming from my itty bitty Klipsch, not needed with the sub. The AQ #4 that I re-acquired last week from storage sounds more articulate through them in this room.

had 18 gauge given to me by the stereo shop I got my first components from. Knew a bigger gauge would have less resistivity so I got some 16 at the K-Mart.

Ten is too bulky for me, that was a recent experiment. AQ #4 is equivalent to about 15 AWG if I recall correctly.

• Haha 1

• Moderators
18 hours ago, OO1 said:

Sorry Guys ........  the Approved cable in klipsch Speakers was zip cord , but it is  now  AudioQuest   type 4 -:rolleyes:

That's not accurate. 

I don't believe they ever used zip cord internally. On certain models they used AudioQuest in a partnership with them because of consumer demand for "audiophile" wiring. It was tested and determined not to change the transfer function.

PWK wrote about speaker wire (from the Amp to the balancing network) in a Dope from Hope and recommended minimum gauges based on runs and I believe suggested "lamp cord" or "zip cord." 

Someone would have to dig that out, it's posted on here somewhere. The context of what he was imparting would have to take into consideration the date that he wrote it and what issue(s) he was specifically addressing.  

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Schu said:

isn't a MAJOR component to something qualifying as 'ZIP' cord the economic aspect... CHEAP/LOW COST?

I would say that is a minor component. It is in fact cheaper than the alternative.

The major component of zip cord is that it is like a closed ZIPPer. You "unzip" it when you separate the two leads. The other alternative, then, and now, was two insulated conductors inside one outer insulation (typically white outside insulator, with two internal wires, also insulated with white, red or black and woven together with a paper like thread material). If you needed to separate the ends by more than a couple of inches you could not strip the outer insulator, you had to take a razor blade down the side, peel it off, and then cut it off, then strip the two conductors.