510 on top of the La Scala help dialing this in

Heritage_Head

Set it (the K510) on top.  Disconnect your crossover.  Get an active.

Make sure you have two amps so you can biamp.

Apply the attached PEQ's to the active and sit back, enjoy.

This was actually dialed in by Roy using the EV-DX38 so those parameters are literally, plug & play.  If you got a different brand, the values might be slightly different.

DX-38 settings for LaScala (1 or 2) LF with K510 & K69.pdf

• Thanks 2

Your scale of sound (not the loudness but how "big" it sounds) will get bigger, the coherency will also increase because now you have a 2-way not a 3-way and it's easier to integrate the two verses three drivers.  The absence of the other crossover point is not insignificant.

Beware....you will then hear about the K402 atop the LaScala bin and soon after this, you will begin your quest to find a used pair of K402's (good luck) you will beg, plead.....you will offer your children, you will offer your wife, you will offer your cat....you will however, surely keep your dog or we will then know you are serious.

You'll finally give in to temptation, buy 402's and wonder why you waited so long.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Your scale of sound (not the loudness but how "big" it sounds) will get bigger, the coherency will also increase because now you have a 2-way not a 3-way and it's easier to integrate the two verses three drivers.  The absence of the other crossover point is not insignificant.

Beware....you will then hear about the K402 atop the LaScala bin and soon after this, you will begin your quest to find a used pair of K402's (good luck) you will beg, plead.....you will offer your children, you will offer your wife, you will offer your cat....you will however, surely keep your dog or we will then know you are serious.

You'll finally give in to temptation, buy 402's and wonder why you waited so long.

That’s funny, but true… I would have 402  right now, if I had a room big enough to fit them (and I mean literally if I had to scrape the ceiling, I would have them if they would fit.) … but kidding aside this is hypothetical. I’ve put some money into these La Scala‘s. And they sound fantastic. i’m just thinking next upgrade 😊.

K69 the best driver?  Nope.  Roy later came out with a profile (on the K402) using the TAD-4002 driver.  Good luck finding those (with the original BE diaphragms).  I have no idea how the new driver on the Heritage Jubilee sounds, I've never heard it.  I presume, but don't know, that "anyone" can buy it however, it won't have the phase plug that Roy designed for it (or so that's my understanding).

Would it work without an active?  Yeah... it would but if you want to maximize the sound you are working so hard to find, why not do it right from the git-go?   The active allows you to dial in appropriate delay, dial in the drivers (probably more accurately than a passive)  Roy has inserted a PEQ inside the active profile that has a -7 db PEQ at 148 Hz.  This is a direct assault on the sidewall resonation that the (older style) LaScalas suffer from.  It will tidy up some of that muddiness.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Heritage_Head said:

I have 510 brackets

So you don't have a 510 itself?

If you want to pay shipping both ways, I have a 510 laying about... no driver attached.  I also have TWO K69's laying about (I replaced them with the TAD drivers)  I SHOULD also have an EV-DX38 lying about...I think it's in the closet.  Actually, all these parts should be in the closet.

Wouldn't be what I'd call inexpensive, which is why I mention you paying both directions, but I'd be happy to ship some/all of that to you so you can give it a trial run.  You'd need some XLR wires to bring signal into the Dx and some XLR wires, probably converting to RCA to get it out of the DX and into your amp.

So there are some busy-body issues you'd have to tidy up to get things talking to each other.  You could do one side with the 510, leave the other side stock....  probably wouldn't take you more than 3 minutes to pick your jaw back up off the floor and then the panic begins.....  "I must have.....where can I find.....  here's wife, kids....oh heck, here's Fido the dog...."

Yeah....  it's a family wrecker.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, I’m not about to cut into the La Scala’s… but building something for on top of it with a 510 inside or using the brackets that I have is certainly an option…. Most of the people I know already think I’m out of my mind for how crazy I get into this stuff lol…..but guys like you coyote take it to another level (and with all respect, of course) I’m just not sure I wanna go that far with the active crossover and all (multiple amps and other things you mentioned).. I know I could do it, but all of those things are $,$,$,$. 

1 minute ago, Heritage_Head said:

I’m just not sure I wanna go that far with the active crossover

If I recall correctly, Roy has told a story about 2006 (if I have the correct year) some Boneheads went to the Factory and visited.  He shared the Jubilee with them.  He used an active crossover and biamped it.

They all loved what they heard, but muttered that it had to be passive before they'd consider it.

The following year, is when I went to one of these gatherings.  Roy spent time getting it dialed in so he could use a passive.  This is when Mike & myself bought a pair and essentially, what kick-started us boneheads buying the (what is now called) Underground Jubilee's.

Roy shook his head with confusion....  he's muttering loud enough for us (or me anyway) to hear...

"I just don't get this....I play the speaker for the crowd....they all say they'd want it with a passive.  The next year, I go to a lot of work, creating a passive.....and these boneheads start buying it BUT, what to they order to go with it?  an active...."

Here's picture of speaker he played for us while it was in his chamber getting the passive dialed in.

(I thought this was a pretty cool picture)

4.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Coytee said:

If I recall correctly, Roy has told a story about 2006 (if I have the correct year) some Boneheads went to the Factory and visited.  He shared the Jubilee with them.  He used an active crossover and biamped it.

They all loved what they heard, but muttered that it had to be passive before they'd consider it.

The following year, is when I went to one of these gatherings.  Roy spent time getting it dialed in so he could use a passive.  This is when Mike & myself bought a pair and essentially, what kick-started us boneheads buying the (what is now called) Underground Jubilee's.

Roy shook his head with confusion....  he's muttering loud enough for us (or me anyway) to hear...

"I just don't get this....I play the speaker for the crowd....they all say they'd want it with a passive.  The next year, I go to a lot of work, creating a passive.....and these boneheads start buying it BUT, what to they order to go with it?  an active...."

Here's picture of speaker he played for us while it was in his chamber getting the passive dialed in.

(I thought this was a pretty cool picture)

4.JPG

That’s a fantastic story. I appreciate you sharing it.

1 minute ago, Heritage_Head said:

OK best  possible way aside for a second………..(lol) is there any way that I could run that with what I have right now without adding any other equipment? (just the 510 and a driver sitting on a bracket on top of La Scala)? 

I suppose.  But I don't know that the passive you have is correct for it.  (I'm not that technical minded)

roy designed a passive for it   I have a schematic for it somewhere, can't yet find it.

Rigma (Marion) took the design, built them.....he's an OCD engineer (are there any other type?  lol)  He spent $3,000 IN PARTS ALONE to put these together.  Weighed like 40 pounds each.  The next year, Roy came out with the TAD's, redesigned the passive....  Rigma spent another $3,000 to alter his crossover....  I simply went to my active and changed parameters and I was done.

Found the passive.  Those are Rigma's knobby knees, not mine but, gives you an idea of the "no costs spared" scale of his.

Ms. Valerie (PWK's widow) had a bass bin in her house, the passive for it was stuffed inside the speaker.  

IMG_1241.jpg

DSCN3489.JPG

510K69.PDF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Coytee said:

I suppose.  But I don't know that the passive you have is correct for it.  (I'm not that technical minded)

roy designed a passive for it   I have a schematic for it somewhere, can't yet find it.

Rigma (Marion) took the design, built them.....he's an OCD engineer (are there any other type?  lol)  He spent $3,000 IN PARTS ALONE to put these together.  Weighed like 40 pounds each.  The next year, Roy came out with the TAD's, redesigned the passive....  Rigma spent another $3,000 to alter his crossover....  I simply went to my active and changed parameters and I was done.

Found the passive.  Those are Rigma's knobby knees, not mine but, gives you an idea of the "no costs spared" scale of his.

Ms. Valerie (PWK's widow) had a bass bin in her house, the passive for it was stuffed inside the speaker.  

IMG_1241.jpg

DSCN3489.JPG

510K69.PDF 430.93 kB · 0 downloads

No offense, but you’re you’re not technically minded…than I don’t know anything. 

This is somewhat an orange vs tangerine comparison but my 396ll w 510/K691 combination pretty much lays waste to my stock LaScala mid/tweet top end. And I’m surprised to say as much as I love LS horn bass the 396’s with a moderately sized sealed sub is a force to be reckoned with. The 510/691 combo doesn’t put fear into the 402/Faital HP but it sounds really, really good. I’m pretty sure it’s superior to the stock  LS top end. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Heritage_Head changed the title to 510 on top of the La Scala help dialing this in