510 on top of the La Scala help dialing this in

Heritage_Head

16 minutes ago, Heritage_Head said:

Do you run active crossover? How do you hook it up to your Chorus (The wiring and everything I mean)? 

I have two different passive crossovers designed for the driver combos just different cabinets; currently using the KPT-325 network but also have the KI-396 II networks on hand. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Heritage_Head said:

That’s funny, but true… I would have 402  right now, if I had a room big enough to fit them (and I mean literally if I had to scrape the ceiling, I would have them if they would fit.) … but kidding aside this is hypothetical.

How big is your room and how high is your ceiling.

My recollection is since this is a constant coverage horn, it needs a certain equalization that your K400 doesn't use (or vice versa?).  As such, unless the passive is designed to accomodate this for the horn, you might be driving a Ferrari....but only have access to 1st gear (may not be getting all the performance available)

Bad analogy...because if I was forced to drive a Ferrari, I'd probably WANT to be in 1st gear, driving nice & slow so everyone gets a good chance to see who's driving.  (unfortunately, it would probably be my wife driving, therefore getting all the stares while they're all thinking  "who's that moron she's with???")

oh well...

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Coytee said:

My recollection is since this is a constant coverage horn, it needs a certain equalization that your K400 doesn't use (or vice versa?).  As such, unless the passive is designed to accomodate this for the horn, you might be driving a Ferrari....but only have access to 1st gear (may not be getting all the performance available)

Bad analogy...because if I was forced to drive a Ferrari, I'd probably WANT to be in 1st gear, driving nice & slow so everyone gets a good chance to see who's driving.  (unfortunately, it would probably be my wife driving, therefore getting all the stares while they're all thinking  "who's that moron she's with???")

oh well...

The passive crossover in the 904 worked great with the 510…..clearly this wouldn’t work with the 800hz xo, but is there a passive crossover like the 904xo that might work? I know you guys are all about the active, but unfortunately I don’t have pre outs which even more complicates it. 

• Like 1

You need a crossover that will EQ the high frequency response according to the specific driver and horn combination, for best possible results.

The generic crossovers may or may not be up to task.

Another issue is the La Scala bass bin does not effectively go any higher than 500hz, and that is pushing it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Klipsch Employees
On 11/2/2022 at 7:52 PM, Heritage_Head said:

I know this has been done, but what exactly would I be getting myself into if I were to go down this road? What kind of cluster would I be creating for myself lol?
I have 510 brackets (that sat on top of 904s already) what what would I be looking at in terms of making this a plug and play? 

Change the title and leave frites off and I will let the thread stay up. Remember this is a klipsch forum. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Heritage_Head changed the title to 510 on top of the La Scala help dialing this in

I don't mean to speak for him, he'll remind me of when I was groveling like a lap-dog to buy some Undergrounders....

That said, I'd speculate his thoughts are

"The passive is already out there.....been there, done that... if you choose to utilize a different driver than the one diagramed, that's on you....  what do you expect me to do....  anytime someone wants to do this, drop what I'm doing (undoubtedly looking at dirty curves) and obtain their driver of choice and figure it out for them?  Nope....  that's it....  give me either 30 laps around the building OR, 30 minutes of listening to Marie singing Paper Roses.....

Now, that puppy yapping dude Coytee...  lemme tell you, he's got it on and knows it all....  yeah, just like a puppy knows where to go pee when you first bring him home....  if not on your favorite rug or furniture....  possibly on your leg.  Gotta watch-out for dudes that slobber over underground speakers.  Someone bi*** slap him for me.

He does however, know how to send a nice set of bbq ribs and home grown blueberries....."

Yeah, Roy may not be saying the above out loud, but it's probably floating in the back of his head, right behind some of those 'dirty curves' he's seen over his career.

You do this.....  you go home, ask your wife if you can discuss "dirty curves" with a bunch of dudes.....  you see how long it is before you get served by her attorney.  That Roy knows  how to walk a fine line.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Coytee said:

I don't mean to speak for him, he'll remind me of when I was groveling like a lap-dog to buy some Undergrounders....

That said, I'd speculate his thoughts are

"The passive is already out there.....been there, done that... if you choose to utilize a different driver than the one diagramed, that's on you....  what do you expect me to do....  anytime someone wants to do this, drop what I'm doing (undoubtedly looking at dirty curves) and obtain their driver of choice and figure it out for them?  Nope....  that's it....  give me either 30 laps around the building OR, 30 minutes of listening to Marie singing Paper Roses.....

Now, that puppy yapping dude Coytee...  lemme tell you, he's got it on and knows it all....  yeah, just like a puppy knows where to go pee when you first bring him home....  if not on your favorite rug or furniture....  possibly on your leg.  Gotta watch-out for dudes that slobber over underground speakers.  Someone bi*** slap him for me.

He does however, know how to send a nice set of bbq ribs and home grown blueberries....."

Yeah, Roy may not be saying the above out loud, but it's probably floating in the back of his head, right behind some of those 'dirty curves' he's seen over his career.

You do this.....  you go home, ask your wife if you can discuss "dirty curves" with a bunch of dudes.....  you see how long it is before you get served by her attorney.  That Roy knows  how to walk a fine line.

Lol…. Just looking for suggestions (not a cure for cancer) 😊.

On 11/3/2022 at 7:56 AM, Heritage_Head said:

Great info, and much appreciated post. If I follow the above post what would be all in cost approximately?

Well, it turned out to be more than I expected.  This was back in 2008, when the OG or UG Jubilees were around only $7,000, with free delivery in the main 50 states.  New, with warranty.  Putting together a pair of JubScalas, when I already had the speakers and one amplifier, cost me somewhere around $4000-4500, buying used stuff, like the Dx-38 processor from a Guitar Center in California, the second amplifier from a Forum member in Seattle (I drove down there to hear it and pick it up), the K510 horns and K-69-A drivers from another Forum member, this one in Tennessee or somewhere around there.  That was the original JubScala setup, with the speaker shown in the picture.

The upgrades came later, first the La Scala IIs, then the 402 horns.  The K402 horns are huge, a full metre across.  But I did eventually buy them, which meant a trip to the mainland, which costs $200-250, including gas and food, if you bring a friend. 

The only drawback to the actual Jubilees was their size.  They're 41 inches across, so I would've had to shift some stuff to fit them into my living room, but it probably would have been the better value, especially if I was starting from scratch, with no La Scalas.  Of course, now I've upgraded to La Scala IIs, and K402 horns with K691 drivers.  At this point, I've got several tens of thousands into the system, but on the other hand, by buying used, I saved many tens of thousands.  There are lots of enablers on this forum, and I'm sometimes one of them.  It's fun to see everybody's systems develop, but that's not for everybody.

I started this message a day ago, but then I headed over to the nearest A/V shop for an event day, when some of the company reps were there.  I've met the Audio quest guy and the Yamaha guy couple of times, and even Vince Bruzzese from Totem speakers was there.

Anyway, I hope this info is helpful.  Let me know if you have any questions.

• Thanks 1

That last post may have ignored the point of building these amazing stereos:  they amaze us!  Being able to go into your living room and listen to better sound than you'd get at a concert is beyond cool, it's a source of joy.

Pat

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1