510 on top of the La Scala help dialing this in

Heritage_Head

On 11/3/2022 at 9:56 AM, jjptkd said:

I have the k510/ k-691 combo in my Chorus II's right now and they are a game changer, nothing I've heard in the "home" end of Klipsch speakers really compare. The 510 with the 2" exit driver seems to combine the best of the Tractrix horn with big, openness and the pointed detail and accuracy of the exponential horns. My favorite thing about this top end is how detailed and full they sound at very low volume, find myself perfectly happy listening at sub 70db most of the time. 

This means you are using about 10 MilliWatts of power when doing so.

On 11/12/2022 at 9:08 AM, Heritage_Head said:

So if I’m getting all this correctly I need a four channel amp (one channel for each 510/driver, and one each for the La scala bottoms)…I know next to nothing about active xos. What are the requirements? 

Correct, 001 has mentioned a good entry level DSP, 2-nice 2 channel amps will work as well.  

Two way crossover (minidsp.com)

Not sure if you have read some of these or not, but there some good info.  Just be careful not to go down a rabbit hole, keep it simple and try to stick with settings that are known to work. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Heritage_Head said:

Or does the crossover go before the amp? Then that wouldn’t work….

Yes, that is correct. The digital crossover is used to eq the response and correct timing between the woofer/tweeter at the crossover point (perhaps correct phase...) and feed the seperate level to drivers.

13 minutes ago, Heritage_Head said:

Cool!  That one’s only 129 bucks

The 2x4HD has 10x more processing power, USB audio streaming, and a lot more control features. It's the next-generation platform based on XMOS + SHARC DSP.  

miniDSP 2x4

miniDSP 2x4HD

28/56bit Fixed-point DSP Engine ADSP12489 400MHz Sharc floating-point DSP
24 bit ADC/DAC resolution 24 bit ADC/DAC resolution
Unbalanced analog audio inputs switchable with a jumper between  0.9Vrms  and 2Vrms Unbalanced analog audio inputs switchable with a jumper between  4Vrms and 2Vrms
Digital I/O: I2S in/out Digital I/O: USB audio & Toslink (44.1~192kHz), I2S I/O (not enabled yet)
Unbalanced analog audio outputs:  Max 0.9Vrms  Unbalanced analog audio outputs:  Max 2Vrms
Plug&Play USB driver and real-time Software configuration using miniDSP plug-ins Plug&Play USB driver and real-time Software configuration using miniDSP plug-ins
N/A Asynchronous USB Audio Class  2 Bidirectional streaming  with ASIO drivers under Windows, driverless under MAC Osx
The device does not require a PC once configured The device does not require a PC once configured
Software:  miniDSP 2x4 plug-ins Software:  miniDSP 2x4 HD1 plug-in
Control: Volume control by a potentiometer on a 3pin header Control: IR remote + multicolor LED for preset indication
USB self-powered device and wide range of DC power options (4.5 to 24VDC) External single 12V supply (UK/EU/US/AU adaptors provided)

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, OO1 said:

The 2x4HD has 10x more processing power, USB audio streaming, and a lot more control features. It's the next-generation platform based on XMOS + SHARC DSP.  

miniDSP 2x4

miniDSP 2x4HD

28/56bit Fixed-point DSP Engine ADSP12489 400MHz Sharc floating-point DSP
24 bit ADC/DAC resolution 24 bit ADC/DAC resolution
Unbalanced analog audio inputs switchable with a jumper between  0.9Vrms  and 2Vrms Unbalanced analog audio inputs switchable with a jumper between  4Vrms and 2Vrms
Digital I/O: I2S in/out Digital I/O: USB audio & Toslink (44.1~192kHz), I2S I/O (not enabled yet)
Unbalanced analog audio outputs:  Max 0.9Vrms  Unbalanced analog audio outputs:  Max 2Vrms
Plug&Play USB driver and real-time Software configuration using miniDSP plug-ins Plug&Play USB driver and real-time Software configuration using miniDSP plug-ins
N/A Asynchronous USB Audio Class  2 Bidirectional streaming  with ASIO drivers under Windows, driverless under MAC Osx
The device does not require a PC once configured The device does not require a PC once configured
Software:  miniDSP 2x4 plug-ins Software:  miniDSP 2x4 HD1 plug-in
Control: Volume control by a potentiometer on a 3pin header Control: IR remote + multicolor LED for preset indication
USB self-powered device and wide range of DC power options (4.5 to 24VDC) External single 12V supply (UK/EU/US/AU adaptors provided)

12 hours ago, babadono said:

And you get what you pay for usually when it comes to DSP. Our old friend ChrisA always stated he thought the regular miniDSP 2x4 was noisy.

YMMV

Thanks, so you guys recommend spending the extra money? If it’s noticeably better for $100 more (that’s a no-brainer).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Heritage_Head said:

Thanks, so you guys recommend spending the extra money? If it’s noticeably better for $100 more (that’s a no-brainer).

the cheaper version ,is  ok  for a PA system , but not for HIFI 

• Thanks 1