Vintage Klipsch Cornwall Clones $599.99 NY e-bay

Bobby Z

They might be pre '79?(only two slotted ports)Cornwalls with a B crossover, smoked woofers (surrounds are shot) and probably Alnico tweeters(probably smoked too).

The mids look to be some inadequate junk.

The cabinets could be repurposed for a "CornScala" build.

If both the tweeters still work and there are Klipsch crossovers inside, they may be worth a couple hundred bucks to the right craftsman looking for a project.

I can't tell what they did to the motorboard to fit those aftermarket squawkers in there though.

Thanks, that's pretty much what I thought when I saw the pictures. He also has them listed on Craigslist. with no asking price.  These are local to me and a Cornscala build is just what I was thinking. I offered him $150 for the cabs and $175 for everything. He claims he already had a offer for $400 for the just the cabs. I recommended he take the offer and gave him some basic info on trying to identify the drivers/crossover and suggested he check the Klipsch forum if he wanted to do some more research.

Amazing how hard it is to not to talk about Klipsch when somene asks some questions. LOL

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bobby Z said:

I offered him $150 for the cabs and $175 for everything. He claims he already had a offer for $400 for the just the cabs. I recommended he take the offer and gave him some basic info on trying to identify the drivers/crossover and suggested he check the Klipsch forum if he wanted to do some more research.

Good Advice.  he is probably expecting a few grand 'because new Cornwalls cost $xxx'

Best to pass on bad deals.  The only thing that looka normal at all are the tweeters and who knows.  The cabs are either clones or modified with new motorboards for the weird midrange horn.

• Like 1

it's hard to tell what these are   ? , or whether  they are clones or original , the  rear speaker terminal strip is original ,  the grilles are original ,  the midrange horn opening is not as wide as it should  be , so I am going to say that these are  clones   .

the only way to tell  for sure  is by checking    for any punched serial numbers   at the center and at the top left  for any maker's punch stampings ,   

as-is if these are klipsch original 400$ is fair , if they are not original , they are worth 200$ 

13 minutes ago, OO1 said:

it's hard to tell what these are   ? , or whether  they are clones or original , the  rear speaker terminal strip is original ,  the grilles are original ,  the midrange horn opening is not as wide as it should  be , so I am going to say that these are  clones   .

the only way to tell  for sure  is by checking    for any punched serial numbers   at the center and at the top left  for any maker's punch stampings ,   

as-is if these are klipsch original 400$ is fair , if they are not original , they are worth 200$ 

I can only see one of the pictures

This is what I did to a beater pair of Cornwall 1s with the B-3 crossover.

I put the Chorus 2 midhorn in place of the K-601.

I also put K-79s where the K-77s were.

later I put in an un-named woofer and the same un-named titanium diaphragms in the K-79s 

I also flush mounted the drivers and braced the cabinets.

the result was inspiring

The motorboards on the ones for sale have enough room for a LOT of options if the wood is good.

If you get the price you are looking for feel free to send me a PM, even if you don't...

Cheers,

88F3C4B9-62E9-4DDB-9329-ADB73CC6FA72.jpeg

• Like 2

IF you have drivers and are already planning a Cornscala build and IF the cabinets just need to be sanded with some 220 and then three coats of urethane to look like new, then they do have some value.

But the drivers are junk and the motorboards can't be used for regular Cornwalls, so they need to go to someone with some woodworking skills who is also looking for a project. 

If they are close go by with some cash in hand and see shat you can do.  $400 still seems high though if that is really what was offered.  

I found the eBay ad, the pictures of the grilles seem to show the correct cutouts for the knockoff mids? 

The "mids" have some indiscernible decal on them, looks like a "T" with letters on either side.

Did Speakerlab, or some other company make a Cornwall clone too?

• 5 months later...

I am the owner of the speakers and, after a few failed attempts at selling them on ebay (got decent offers, but many -including the highest- involved transportation, and that's something i was unwilling to do), I decided to post on a few FB groups.

As it turns out, one of those internet-type walking encyclopedias is of the opinion that these are one of PWK's designs that predates the Cornwalls: "Paul used University drivers at one point - which these mids are - but that was in the pre cornwall era. Nice execution. Refoam the eminence woofers and enjoy". Proto Cornwalls, if you wish. This was his guess at the driver complement: "EVT35, University H600 mid, Woofer looks to be CTS/Eminence"

The H600 term in particular rung a bell. So I went digging through my phone pics and discovered an old close-up of the mid I had taken at one point. Sure enough, these are H600 mids! Happy to provide a (very blurry) picture of the mid if I can figure out how to attach pictures to posts as a guest.

In any case, given the interesting new finding, I think I'll be holding on to these for a little while.

Edited by elgarnuflas
  • Like 1

• Moderators
7 hours ago, elgarnuflas said:

I am the owner of the speakers and, after a few failed attempts at selling them on ebay (got decent offers, but many -including the highest- involved transportation, and that's something i was unwilling to do), I decided to post on a few FB groups.

Welcome to the Forum. You will need to post lots of photos, front, back and inside. The Historian of Klipsch is in this Forum and can answer your questions for certain.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, elgarnuflas said:

t these are one of PWK's designs that predates the Cornwalls: "Paul used University drivers at one point - which these mids are - but that was in the pre cornwall era.  

The Cornwall was introduced in 1959  , the University H 600 midrange was in usage as of  December 1957 ,  the EV T35 was also introduced in 1957 , can you open the back of the speaker and show us the drivers + the crossover , 

- are there any tags-or stickers inside the speaker ?   what is the crossover type  ? , and do you see any numbers etched in the wood over the  top-rear  of the speaker on the left -center  and  right .

23 minutes ago, hanksjim1 said:

I think the early Cornwalls had a different speaker layout  

Hank  , here's the 1959 Cornwall serial no 102 , the drivers are in the standard layout  , if you notice , there are no lower vents  

-Randy

58ee951ba0fc8_IMG_2530copy.jpg.4427a0921406ade36f6a98ba1217f225.jpg

2 hours ago, OO1 said:

Hank  , here's the 1959 Cornwall serial no 102 , the drivers are in the standard layout  , if you notice , there are no lower vents  

-Randy

58ee951ba0fc8_IMG_2530copy.jpg.4427a0921406ade36f6a98ba1217f225.jpg

Does that sound as good as I think it does?

• Like 1