Impressions of KLF-C7s as surrounds and value of KSP-S6s

Snails_Pace

Well, I had been talking about it for nearly 5 years, but I finally returned from all my deployments, bought a new receiver with my TDY settlement, and just got my last KLF-C7 off uBid last month; so I now have C7s in every corner for surrounds. I'm just waiting for our next move before I put in the back-rear C7s (for Dolby EX/dts-ES), but the home theater is now essentially complete.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I like the effect, though it's not as dramatic as I was hoping for. I'm sure it's partially due to the shape of my living room, nearly 30 feet long, only 10 feed wide, both ends near the surrounds open into other rooms, and the prime listening position tucked back 3 feet next to a wall partially occluding one of the surrounds--it's really a bizarre floor plan. I like the added punch of the C7s, especially for music, but I chalk that up to the higher efficiency and larger drivers of the C7 over the S6. But the difference on movie soundtracks wasnt the nigh-day transition I was thinking it would be, especially going from WDST to direct-radiating speakers. Yes, all the speakers are now timbre-matched (KLF-20s up front, C7s every where else), but the soundfield just hasnt changed that dramatically. Maybe Ill notice a bigger change when we move into our new place this summer? Maybe the S6s are just that good at creating a believable soundstage with the Legend series?

But now I have a set of black KSP-S6s I honestly don't "need" any more. I'm still debating keeping them as the new Denon I bought lets you select between different type of surrounds, but if they were to go out on eBay or something like that, what's a fair price? I haven't seen a pair on eBay for ages so there aren't any completed items I can use as a thermometer for how hot the response would be. I tried the bluebook feature on Audiogon, but they wanted $20 just to register for 30 days. Any thoughts/advice?

Enjoyed your post SP. Seems you've got it exactly right. Fact is, in HT, your attention and the action should be directed at the screen. Anchored right there, at the screen. EVERYTHING ELSE is an effect. That will never change.

If at all possible, and you think you may ever want another pair, you might hang onto the S-6's. It will be tough to find another pair. Someone on this forum posted about a pair they had for sale a while back at, if I remember correctly, $450. I don't remember the details. They may bring more on E-Bay.

Good luck whatever you decide!

Keith

I'm not surprised you haven't found a good match for your KLF-20's. Since buying my KLF-20's to use as mains about three years ago, I have also been struggling to set up a surround system with which I am happy (I couldn't do it all at once either). I have a C-7 center (tried an RC-3 before buying that). I've tried SS-1's, RS-3's, and KSP-S6's for rear surrounds, and I ended up returning/selling them all. I'm now using SB2's for my rears. They sound about as good as anything else I've tried, they're pretty inexpensive, and I can re-use them in my office or something down the road. All these are fine speakers in and of themselves, but I'm not happy with how they match up with the KLF-20's (for an example--try using your KLF-20's as a "phantom" center. I'll bet the sound will be way different and better from the C-7, other than the screen localization that the C-7 center provides). From what I understand now, Klipsch never made a center or rears for the KLF line--the C-7 and KSP-S6 were just the "closest" match. That, to me, is the real problem. Wish I would have done my research and known this before I purchased the KLF-20's (which I LOVE). What I have is pretty darn good for now, and some day the KLF-20's will be moved to a music-only system and I will buy a new set of speakers for HT--all at the same time!

As far as keeping the KSP-S6's, they're very hard to find and should fetch a very high price. I've seen them go for over $700 on e-Bay. If you don't think that you'll use them much, I'd sell them. But it'll be hard to ever get them back.

Snail's_Pace, the perfect match for your KLF-20's is another KLF-20 positioned horizontally with a new motorboard to put the horns in the center closely flanked by the woofers on either side. You will be absolutely amazed with the performance. I did it with KLF-30's... in fact I also added KLF-30's for surrounds and rear effects on a 6.1 system. DVD movies push upwards of 75% of the total sound on the DVD through the center channel... and nothing comes close to a Legend center than a horizontal version of whatever Legend you are using for mains.

Paul W. Klipsch used a pair of Klipschorns in the corners and a fully horn-loaded Belle Klipsch in the center... because his wife wouldn't allow him to put a corner in the center or an ugly speaker (WAF-wise) either! Think about it, if putting the real deal in the center was important to PWK for music... why shouldn't it be important to us Legends owners for HT where it is even more important! I believe that since the front center speaker is the MAIN speaker for HT having anything less is a compromise. While I recognize it is fashionable to have a weanie speaker in the center, you won't have a hot dog system until you beef up the center to MAIN proportions. =HornEd

PS: If you can pick up a KLF-20 to modify as a center you have another KLF-C7 for 6.1... Let 'er rip, Snail's_Pace!