Aragon 3005 dead channel

CWOReilly

No, just a mains fuse.

I don't think these have excellent protection circuits and even the tiniest strand of wire touching the + and - at output can kill a channel.

Power it off and unplug it. Double check the speaker wire for that channel. Plug it back in and power it on to see if the problem is resolved. If not you very well could have a dead channel.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CWOReilly said:

Thank you @billybob.  I had seen that and even found what the fuse likely is, but nothing showing where. The manual says it’s likely a blown fuse and to call your dealer. Well I think the warranty is beyond over. Was just hoping someone has pics of the location before I just dive in. 

Well, proceed with caution. Like the way of wording may be a good sign then about individual fuses. Awesome specs...

10 hours ago, captainbeefheart said:

No, just a mains fuse.

I don't think these have excellent protection circuits and even the tiniest strand of wire touching the + and - at output can kill a channel.

Power it off and unplug it. Double check the speaker wire for that channel. Plug it back in and power it on to see if the problem is resolved. If not you very well could have a dead channel.

I’ve done that. Among other tests. Gonna have to crack it open. Thank you. 

16 hours ago, captainbeefheart said:

No, just a mains fuse.

I had this happen with a receiver once.  One little strand was all it took, I thought the receiver was bad. 

• Thanks 1

Open her up and see what's going on.  I don't remember which model I worked on but MJ15003/MJ15004 complimentary pairs comes to mind.

Each channel shares the same bipolar supply from two large can style capacitors. For the dead channel check collector voltages and then emitter current via emitter resistor which I believe are .33 ohms. Ballpark would be about 3mV across the emitter resistors.

15 minutes ago, CWOReilly said:

@billybob @captainbeefheart @tigerwoodKhorns

2 8 amp fuses per board. Easily accessible with cover removed! My fuses should arrive tomorrow. Both were blown on my dead channel. 

B0E92010-F53A-42D6-87A7-AE635A25A98C.jpeg

Good to know thank you!!

I must have worked on an older version (#2004?), it had TO-3 type output transistors, different than what's in your 3005. 

I don't want to sound like a Debbie Downer but if these fuses are blown it's almost certain replacing them will not cure the problem and the new fuses will just blow again on power up. Of course there is a possibility that an overload condition of that channel popped the fuse before damaging anything but each of those fuses feeds the collectors for the complimentary pairs, not a good sign they are blown. 8 amps is quite a bit of current, were you really blasting out a ton of power when this happened?

Fingers crossed and keep us posted. If the new fuses blow I'd remove the board and start checking transistors.

Good luck!!

2 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Seriously, why did they blow?  Some bad caps, resistors or anything else? 

Best case scenario is if he was really blasting music and pushing the amplifier hard an overload took the rail fuses out before doing permanent damage.

Worst case scenario most likely shorted output transistors.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CWOReilly said:

I purchased this amp from an estate. I recall when I first saw the setup that the right front cable was not secure on the speaker. I’m betting it got shorted. I’ll put proper fuses in it and try again. No paper clips!

Looks like a beast of an amplifier! Never had any of the Aragon stuff but had quite a few of the Acurus amplifiers back in the day wonderful sounding amps. Hopefully you got a really good deal on the amp so that repairs still might be an affordable option. Fingers crossed the fuses fix this thing for you.