Aragon 3005 dead channel

CWOReilly

4 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Looks like a beast of an amplifier! Never had any of the Aragon stuff but had quite a few of the Acurus amplifiers back in the day wonderful sounding amps. Hopefully you got a really good deal on the amp so that repairs still might be an affordable option. Fingers crossed the fuses fix this thing for you.

It will be a fair deal if I can get it to work. My fingers are crossed too. 

Have you a multimeter with either a diode tester or continuity/resistance setting?

It would be pretty easy to see if the output devices are shorted. With the amp off see if you have continuity between collector and emitter. If you have a diode tester check the base-emitter and base collector diode drops. The latter is of less importance, if you get continuity from collector to emitter they are toast.

59 minutes ago, CWOReilly said:

Fuses! It’s alive! Thanks everyone!

Great news!! The fuses did their job and protected the output. Must have been a quick short at the output that popped em. *cautionary tale of why it's important to make the speaker connections with the amplifier off.

Good pics also, there were none on the internet until now.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, billybob said:

Yes man, figure you are going to sort out the volume control.

After you get all up and running, going to want more pics. Remote?

I’ll tear into the Stage One hopefully in next couple of days. There will be pictures. I’m gonna have to come up with a remote, but holding off until I know it works.  Then it’s the choice of speakers. I need a bigger house. 

• Haha 1

On 11/8/2022 at 6:54 AM, jjptkd said:

Looks like a beast of an amplifier! Never had any of the Aragon stuff but had quite a few of the Acurus amplifiers back in the day wonderful sounding amps.

I have owned several Acurus amps over the last decade and a half.  All have been rock solid and my current A200x3/A200 are still going strong.

The Klipsch owned Aragons are pretty much the same amps as the second generation Acurus amps from Mondial.  Mil-spec parts with weight/cost saving single toroidal transformers to achieve reliable products that are easy to work on if unfortunately after two decades you may need a repair or two.  The mentioned Aragon 3005 is essentially the same amp as if you melded together the Acurus A200x3/A200 and used a single power supply with (8) Toshiba Bipolar output transistors/channel and a slightly larger toroidal transformer and larger power caps(24000 uf vs 23000 uf).  And balanced inputs.

On 11/8/2022 at 4:28 PM, CWOReilly said:

Fuses! It’s alive! Thanks everyone!

Great to here.  Keep enjoying.

Bill

7 hours ago, willland said:

The mentioned Aragon 3005 is essentially the same amp as if you melded together the Acurus A200x3/A200 and used a single power supply with (8) Toshiba Bipolar output transistors/channel and a slightly larger toroidal transformer and larger power caps(24000 uf vs 23000 uf).  And balanced inputs.

Do you know if the earlier models used TO-3 devices? From memory MJ15003/MJ15004?

I remember working on one of these amps a long time ago but had TO-3 devices in my memory for some reason.

• 3 months later...
On 11/13/2022 at 1:02 PM, captainbeefheart said:

Do you know if the earlier models used TO-3 devices? From memory MJ15003/MJ15004?

I remember working on one of these amps a long time ago but had TO-3 devices in my memory for some reason.