1982 Cornwalls - CWO Restoration

3105ns

Hello all-

I have a pair of 1982 Cornwalls that I inherited a few years ago.  The cabinets were a little rough and this week I finally got started on getting them refinished.  I have them stripped and sanded (had a few scratch marks on the top that needed to go).  I am looking to make the CWO finish look as close a possible to the original finish.  I have gone through and searched the topic board here but have not found the "secret sauce".  From a few years ago, HDBR said that it was boiled linseed oil mixed with black walnut, however I have not been able to find that.  I have repainted the backs and the front in black, and am making new grills, and trying to reach Duracrest about the correct brown cane.

I have experimented with a few combinations on the bottom the speakers but have not yet found the right one.  I also had to replace the veneer on one of the fronts, as sections had come off and they were unrepairable.  

Any suggestions on the finish would be greatly appreciated. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 3105ns said:

Hello all-

I have a pair of 1982 Cornwalls that I inherited a few years ago.  The cabinets were a little rough and this week I finally got started on getting them refinished.  I have them stripped and sanded (had a few scratch marks on the top that needed to go).  I am looking to make the CWO finish look as close a possible to the original finish.  I have gone through and searched the topic board here but have not found the "secret sauce".  From a few years ago, HDBR said that it was boiled linseed oil mixed with black walnut, however I have not been able to find that.  I have repainted the backs and the front in black, and am making new grills, and trying to reach Duracrest about the correct brown cane.

I have experimented with a few combinations on the bottom the speakers but have not yet found the right one.  I also had to replace the veneer on one of the fronts, as sections had come off and they were unrepairable.  

Any suggestions on the finish would be greatly appreciated. 

If you have walnut veneer on your Cornwalls and they were originally oiled, then you do not need to add any color.  I would lightly sand the cabinets with 000/0000 steel wool, wipe clean, then apply a couple of coats of Watco Tung Oil (apply, wipe off excess, wait 24 hours, repeat).  I just freshened up some ca 1960s HM Eames Lounge chairs doing the same thing and the results were stunning -- Tung Oil really bring out the color of the wood and dries with a matt finish.  Going forward, you'll only need to dust or wipe with damp cloth.

Note that Watco Tung Oil is pure tung oil -- it is not diluted with other chemicals like "tung oil finish" or "danish oil finish".  I wouldn't use the "restore" products as they are a combination of chemicals and typically have color added which you really don't need.

6 hours ago, jcn3 said:

If you have walnut veneer on your Cornwalls and they were originally oiled, then you do not need to add any color.  I would lightly sand the cabinets with 000/0000 steel wool, wipe clean, then apply a couple of coats of Watco Tung Oil (apply, wipe off excess, wait 24 hours, repeat).  I just freshened up some ca 1960s HM Eames Lounge chairs doing the same thing and the results were stunning -- Tung Oil really bring out the color of the wood and dries with a matt finish.  Going forward, you'll only need to dust or wipe with damp cloth.

Note that Watco Tung Oil is pure tung oil -- it is not diluted with other chemicals like "tung oil finish" or "danish oil finish".  I wouldn't use the "restore" products as they are a combination of chemicals and typically have color added which you really don't need.

Jon, thanks.  I have sanded with 180 and 220 to get out the scratches.  I will upload some photos today and try the tung oil.