I need help with my cornwalls and heresys

Chandz

I need some help regarding my 2 heritage systems. 

I am currently and running a Hegel h590 with a pair of cornwall 4’s 

i also own a pair of heresy 4 for my living room and  I just ordered a wilsenton r8 and bluenode 3 which should be here this week

im looking to sell or trade my Hegel for something more suited for the cornwalls (or maybe heresys?)

my questions are:

would I be better pairing the wilsenton r8 with the cornwall and getting something else for the heresy or keeping the r8 with the heresy and getting an amp for the cornwall (I was thinking possibly solid state as it will get a lot more casual listening (tv, movies, video games) vs the cornwall system which will be music only 

also, what is the best way to add a sub that has no high level inputs to a system with no preouts? (The wilsenton). 

any ideas or recommendations are appreciated as I’m lost. 

thanks everyone!

• Like 1

@Chandz -- when i was demoing cornwall ivs, i thought they sounded best with my parasound jc5.  they seemed to really respond to the tight grip the amp had on the bass and the imaging was pinpoint.  thought it sounded better than a primaluna evo 400.  i would think they would sound marvelous with the hegel. (i haven't heard the cornwall ivs with anything low powered)

your heresys are rather easy to drive -- they can work with just about anything.  i would think the hegel 590 would be overkill.  not the same speaker but with my heresy 1s i'm using a 10 watt amp and it sounds great.  that same amp also sounded great with the heresy iv. 

wait until you get the r8 and try it with both and see what you think!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've heard good things about the Wilsenton amps. They are supposed to be good budget Chinese gear. But depending on your budget, that amp may be better suited to the Heresys and something a little more ambitious for the CW IV. I think you are going down the right road by looking at tube amps for the Cornwalls, but they wouldn't be the limiting factor with a much better amp. They are certainly capable of being used in high dollar systems.

That said, price isn't always the final indicator of how good an amp is. But for my tastes, lower power/higher quality tube amps with such efficient speakers will win the day over quantity of watts. Think 25-30 watts or so.

• Like 1

I think it is worth to give this thread a read.

I can admit that a huge bass reflex speaker like the CW4 thanks the current and low impedance of a good solid state amp. You could fine tune the sound by trying some tube pre amps (with a fitting output impedance to feed the power solid state amp).

It is for many people confusing to think that a high efficiency of a speaker means you could go in any case for a low watts tube amp but that mostly works only if the bass of a speaker is a (cone damping) horn as well like LaScala etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/12/2022 at 12:26 PM, OO1 said:

@Chandzan exceptional  amp/preamp  for the Heresy and Cornwall 4  are  the Yamaha A-S1200 - A-S2200  series .

Thank you.  I had the as-801 a few years ago with a pair of klh model 5.   It really tuned me off Yamaha as it had  horrible synergy.   I have only ready great things about the higher end Yamaha integrateds    I’ll have to give them a second thought.