KLF-C7 or RC-64 III to pair with my Klipch Chorus 2

Matrix311

Hello all! I recently acquired a pair of Klipsch Chorus 2 of which i've upgraded with the LMAHL DE10 tweeter and new caps. They sound amazing with my new Denon AVR-X3800H for home theater usage. I replaced an old set of DefTech speakers and my center channel is still a Definitive Technology CLR-2300 which I dont mind but I dont feel it matches well with my Chorus 2 speakers. So i've done some research and I find everyone recommends the KLF-C7 from the Legend Series which seem to match up nicely with the Chorus 2 speakers. I also have an opportunity to buy a current model RC-64 III for the same price as the KLF-C7. Both parties are asking $600 for their respective center channel. To me, the RC64 being $1900 new seems like the better deal and the KLF-C7 is mint and seems way overpriced from what they were obtainable 5-7 years ago closer to the $300 range. Regardless they are both the same asking price and now i'm trying to decide which center channel to go with? The RC64 would fit better with my setup but I can make the C7 also fit. I would probably upgrade the C7 to a Crites Titanium diaphram down the road so thats an option as well.

The 3rd option I have is a local builder can make me a center channel using Heresy 1 components. It would be the Heresy 1 tweeter, mid range and type E crossover. He would use two DCM 7" woofers for the low end. Box looks really nice from a previous build he did and the price would be $300 for this speaker. So half the cost of the other two.

Any feedback from people who have owned both or currently own both and maybe have paired them with Forte II or Chorus II speakers? I am going to buy one of them tomorrow so i'm hoping for some solid and plentiful feedback from the community.

Thanks all!

Edited by Matrix311
added heresy speaker

21 hours ago, Matrix311 said:

Any feedback from people who have owned both or currently own both and maybe have paired them with Forte II or Chorus II speakers? I am going to buy one of them tomorrow so i'm hoping for some solid and plentiful feedback from the community.

Thanks all!

I would try out the 64-III that's a great price if its in good shape I really liked the 64-II I had awhile back can only imagine the III is better. If you don't like the way it matches up you can resell and get your money back easy at that price. 

11 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

The reference speaker will stick out like a sore thumb it does not even come close to matching the Heritage line.  Another Chorus or an Academy is the correct direction to go in also a Heresy II would fit the bill.

Agreed.  Had a rc62 ii between a pair of forte ii for years.  Great speaker, but did not blend well.  I use a KLF-C7 now with crites Ti diaphragm between those same forte ii with DE10 drivers on pht-409 horns (klipsch tractrix tweeter horn) and it blends MUCH better.  

I wouldn't use heresy I components in a custom center either.  My heresy with k55 don't sound similar to the forte at all.  Heresy 1.5 or II mid would be a better match.  Custom build with a chorus/forte/quartet mid horn and LMAHL tweeter would be the best match aside from another chorus ii.

I also just recently acquired a pair of Chorus II's... I've had original series Fortes for years, and was glad to find the Academy center after the RC-3 and KLF-C7 turned out to be complete mis-matches.

I was concerned about the blend with the Chorus' - since their mid-horn is Tractrix instead of exponential - but it was unfounded... the blend is just as perfect as with the Forte.

I LOVED the sound from the C7, BTW - very clear and distinct - but the driver/timbre difference between it and the Forte was very obvious, with material that pans, or is shared by the mains and center, sounding way off and unnatural.  I've wondered for some time if it would mate better with the Chorus II's, since their manufacture date and horn-styles are closer, but I don't have a reason with my current results to change anything soon.