What am I working with RE: whole home audio?

zimdogg

Alright, we have members all over so. It really sounds like you know what you are talking about and doing. Will slow down now so you can gather your thoughts.

Would like to know more about the ceiling speakers but, if you are not going to use them much. As said earlier, now wondering about why no speaker wires at junction box.

Goes back to the ceiling speakers and, were they to be powered by cat5, as well as the volume controls per zone. Sometimes difficult to fathom what was in installers mind. For instance, are you going to run new wire to where it is needed?

Is this helpful?

1 hour ago, billybob said:

Alright, we have members all over so. It really sounds like you know what you are talking about and doing. Will slow down now so you can gather your thoughts.

Would like to know more about the ceiling speakers but, if you are not going to use them much. As said earlier, now wondering about why no speaker wires at junction box.

Goes back to the ceiling speakers and, were they to be powered by cat5, as well as the volume controls per zone. Sometimes difficult to fathom what was in installers mind. For instance, are you going to run new wire to where it is needed?

Is this helpful?

Yep its helpful.  I think it'll make more sense when you see it.  I highly doubt I can run new wires, they're probably snaked all through the walls and most likely were put in with other electrical when the house was built in 2007.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, zimdogg said:

Yep its helpful.  I think it'll make more sense when you see it.  I highly doubt I can run new wires, they're probably snaked all through the walls and most likely were put in with other electrical when the house was built in 2007.

Yes, agree, we shall see. When it comes to it, there will be away. Yes alot of those guys used staples. Why I will ask if in conduit. Could possibly pull some wire... Just speculation for now.

Well after stumbling around trying to figure this out, this is all I can come up with:

I was wrong on where the wires came out, instead of in my basement there are 3 separate cat5 cables that are wired through the walls and emerge in my media cabinet in my main living room.  No extra speaker wires though, just the cat5 cable.

After googleing a lot, this is what I can make of it...

Since I already have my receiver located in the same media cabinet that the wires are pulled to, I would use the zone 2  output on my receiver to connect to a unit similar to this:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_543AH2/Russound-A-H2.html

From there, I'd plug the cat 5 cable in, and install wall plates like this where I have blanks with speaker wire and cat5 cable behind them:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_543AK4/Russound-AK-4.html

I'm assuming that I'd then use my receiver as my source, and use those AK4 units as volume control in each separate zone.

I don't think I plan to invest in any of this at the moment, but should that change I'll update on how things go.

• Thanks 1