Crackling sound when connecting speakers to TV via Optical cable

Erald

Hi all,

I am new to the community and to the Klipsch world. I just purchased a pair of R-41PM speakers and connected them to my Samsung TV via optical cable.

There is loud, crackling sound! I read that usually a damaged or broken cable is usually the cause. But in my case crackling/static sound happens either when the TV is off, or when media is playing through streaming services (both Netflix and Amazon Prime). When I play something via the Youtube app on TV, or via Spotify app, the sound is perfect and I amazed how good these R-41PM sound! I am not sure if the cable is to blame, otherwise i would hear crackling while watching youtube or listening to music.

As a result of this wired situation I am forced to turn off the speakers every time I turn off the TV otherwise the crackling noise is unbearable. To eliminate other causes, I connected the speakers via bluetooth and no issues at all there in any situation. Tried to plug and unplug....same. Also, as soon as I disconnect the cable from the TV the noise goes away. I'm positive the issue is this type of connection, but not sure if the cable itself is the cause or if there is something else I am missing.....

Anyone has had a similar wired experience? 

Thanks in advance!

Erald

EDIT, SOLVED: With more testing I discovered that Netflix and Prime were using Dolby Audio and not the traditional PCM method. When changing Samsung TV audio settings to PCM, the noise goes away. Even when TV is off. Hope this helps other people running in the same issue as I did.

Edited by Erald
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I found out my Samsung TV does not support Dolby Atomos. Thus, everything like Netflix or Prime which are set by default with Dolby Atomos, produce crackling, while Youtube and Spotify were working fine.

Not sure for Sony, but for Samsung TV i went into settings- Audio - Advanced and there in an option where you could pick between Dolby or regular PCM. That fixed every issue ! Hope it helps.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I'm so glad I have just come across this. With many temper tantrums, I was on the verge of returning our soundbar we got for Christmas thinking it was a fault of the soundbar.

Not all hero's wear capes!🦸‍♂️

Edited by leesh
Spelling mistake
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So the PCM change worked for sound when watching cable but if I use the Samsung streaming apps (Netflix/prime/spotify) it comes back. Don’t know why it works fine through regular cable but smart apps crackle? 

• 2 months later...

Hi, original OP here...
After the initial problem I reported, now my speakers started to pop for no reason when powered and don't work properly anymore. Attached an audio recording...
This happens when the speakers are simply turned on. Not connected to any device whatsoever (so it is not a connection or audio source issue), just the speaker plugged to the wall. I did the factory reset following the provided instruction, no change. I tried to plug them in a different outlet on the wall, same issue...
Understandably, I am very disappointed from the R-41PM that lasted barely one year....Was proud to support a US company but not sure if I will go for the same brand if Klipsch support does not make it right with the warranty.

Any one else has the same issue? Any fixes???

Thanks all.