FM Signal Amplifiers

Peter P.

I listen to mostly FM radio, and lower powered stations (88-92MHz). While I live in a reasonable location with several stations to choose from, the signal strength can vary for many reasons. And since I live in a condo, an outside antenna is out of the question.

I've gotten to a point where I can get a reasonably strong signal, through the use of a tunable indoor antenna (the B.I.C. Beam Box), and an FM tuner with a switchable IF filter (Yamaha).

About six months ago I was working at a high rise apartment complex when I spied an old, no longer used, Channel Master TV signal amplifier for the distributed TV signal from the days before cable TV. I also noticed it had an FM "trap" or notch filter which led me to believe I could use one to improve my FM reception.

I asked the customer if I could have it but they never got back to me. So I searched eBay thinking that's the only place I'd find such a "vintage" item.

Well, I could even find NEW ones! So I bought one.

598997574_FM-1.jpeg.566b446a475801fcebb4dedfcb247a34.jpeg

For twenty-five bucks I figured if it didn't work it wouldn't be a huge loss.

I'll be damned; it works great! I adjusted the gain so I wouldn't saturate the front end on any station by adjusting the Gain knob so signal strength is just shy of full-scale. The only drawback was I had to use a screwdriver because the knob is almost impossible to grasp; some models don't appear to have that quirk.

But I still was curious; could I improve the signal even more? Down the rabbit hole I went.

I discovered Magnum Dynalab sold the MD-205 Signal Sleuth FM Amplifier. This is the Cadillac of the FM amp above. But it costs $500!

I couldn't bring myself to spend that much. After a period of time while searching eBay I found one for sale but the price was about $300. Better but a little bit too rich for my tastes, and I didn't know if it would work, whether new or used. So I forgot about the idea. Until last week.

Seems Magnum Dynalab made a similar product years ago under the Magnum label called the FM Power Sleuth. Slightly different name; would it work the same? The form factor was not the rack/stackable shape of the new model, but I imagined the guts had to be similar.

Again, I found it on eBay but this older unit was going for a paltry less than $100 shipped. I didn't have to think twice about this one!

1481845788_FM-2.jpeg.5d2c2ed38db39728681528f91e8fe547.jpeg

Other than the non-stack friendly shape, it's fine. The knobs turn silky smooth and better than the cheapo version I earlier owned, the tuning dial only amplifies the frequency of interest. F-connectors on the back, and an AC cord. I get a minimum 30% increase in signal strength even with the gain set where you see in the photo.

For all you FM junkies out there, if you have reception issues, this is the ticket. In fact, even the budget ASKA model above works great, just get a similar brand with a gain knob you can grasp with your fingers but honestly, I've mostly "set and forgotten" it, and it still does the job.

• Like 2

I concur, having the same 25db amp without adjustable gain and 8 dollars new, as I was a wholesale buyer and bought several. Fortunately, have one at my fringe reception location or, I would not be viewing TV now at all OTA.

That magnum is getting abit hard to find now. Good deal.

Thanks!

• Like 1