Seeking build info about 1983 Heresy speakers

Dave MacKay

Yesterday I purchased a pair of 1983 Heresy speakers (serial numbers 154Y704 and 154Y710). 

797752181_Heresy-smallf.jpg.76234414e4bf39000b32852edb3a5d54.jpg

I don't know why the serial numbers are close, but not consecutive. 

Unfortunately the seller wasn't able to tell me about them. Also, the labels on the back of the speakers are missing; only a few shreds remain. 

The speakers have:

• K-77M tweeters
  • K-52H squawkers
  • K-22E woofers
  • E-2 networks

I'm hoping that Klipsch's records might be able to answer a few questions for me:

1. The finish on the speakers is quite degraded. What was the original finish on the speakers (e.g., oiled walnut)?
  2. There isn't any sign that there had been a gasket/foam seal on the removable rear panel. Should there be one?
  3. Where was the dealer located that Klipsch shipped the speakers to? 

Thank-you.

24 minutes ago, Dave MacKay said:

Yesterday I purchased a pair of 1983 Heresy speakers (serial numbers 154Y704 and 154Y710). 

The speakers have:

• K-77M tweeters
  • K-52H squawkers
  • K-22E woofers
  • E-2 networks

I'm hoping that Klipsch's records might be able to answer a few questions for me:

1. The finish on the speakers is quite degraded. What was the original finish on the speakers (e.g., oiled walnut)?
  2. There isn't any sign that there had been a gasket/foam seal on the removable rear panel. Should there be one?
26 minutes ago, Dave MacKay said:

Unfortunately the seller wasn't able to tell me about them. Also, the labels on the back of the speakers are missing; only a few shreds remain. 

The speakers have:

• K-77M tweeters
  • K-52H squawkers
  • K-22E woofers
  • E-2 networks

Thank-you.

Thank-you.

either the Dealer did not  distribute consecutive serial numbers  or a previous owner had 2 pairs and he did not pay attention to the serial numbers when selling the 1st pair ., as you can see , both   pie badges from the early 2000's  are on the right side , instead of left and right 

The finish on the speakers is quite degraded. What was the original finish on the speakers (e.g., oiled walnut)?

Please post more pictures  of the panels on the top-sides , it's either a stain on  raw birch or a veneer  @JRH   may know more from the log books

There isn't any sign that there had been a gasket/foam seal on the removable rear panel. Should there be one? 

No ,   the speakers are  original   , but you can add some foam if you wish 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, OO1 said:

Please post more pictures  of the panels on the top-sides , it's either a stain on  raw birch or a veneer  @JRH   may know more from the log books

Thank-you for the information. 

Although the speakers look to be the same colour from the sides, from the tops one can see that one is quite a bit lighter than the other, as these photos show.

Darker speaker

Lighter-Heresy.thumb.jpg.d10fdc3acaf53a3f62a63a9d2411b835.jpg

Lighter speaker

Darker-Heresy.thumb.jpg.e72173964dd33935a53eef5c8ce2009f.jpg

Both speakers side-by-side

Both-a.thumb.jpg.d789ac22aa3dddfeb9dc5ef12dab7297.jpg

14 minutes ago, Dave MacKay said:

from the tops one can see that one is quite a bit lighter than the other, as these photos show.

Dave , in appearance   looks like someone  either sanded the top , or used a steel wool 0000 to clean it up  , or it's a totally different veneer on both speakers , the right speaker looks like walnut 

• Thanks 1