Finish Suggestions for La Scala restoration?

aaronhirsch

Hi. I've been very gradually bringing some La Scalas back from the dead. I'm going to veneer them with figured cherry. I want to end up with a more or less "stock" finish which I gather is going to be more matte/semi-gloss. I was planning on using a spray lacquer and am looking for some suggestions: brands, suggested gloss level, anything else. 

• 3 months later...

Might I suggest a pure Tung Oil finish.  So easy to apply and simply beautiful after 4 or 5 coats rubbed on.  

This will give you the satin or matte finish you are looking for.  

Prep the wood up to 320 grit sandpaper, apply the tung oil liberally, wait to dry for a couple of hours, wipe off excess.

Wait a day or so, lightly sand again with 320 grit and repeat previous procedure.

Should take 4 coats and the finish is spectacular especially with figured wood like walnut or ribbon grain mahogany.

I have a pair of Heresy 1 and a pair of Cornwalls finished this way.

• Like 1

Just a caution to mention - I believe Tung oil, and especially  oiled Linseed Oil, are self catalyzing, similar to synthetic finishes like polyurethane.

The oils generate heat in the rags and can start burning if left wadded up.

5 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Just a caution to mention - I believe Tung oil, and especially  oiled Linseed Oil, are self catalyzing, similar to synthetic finishes like polyurethane.

The oils generate heat in the rags and can start burning if left wadded up.

Yep, I wet them and tie then up in a plastic bag fro disposal.  It actually says the BLO is inflammable so it cannot burn right? 😱

I just oiled some teak JBLs with BLO and mineral spirits a few months ago.  They were dry and really needed some help. 

I had not thinned the BLO in the past.  It worked way better.  3:1 ratio.  Rub on, then after a few minutes or as soon as you finish both speakers, get a clean cloth and rub off the excess.  Mine shined up like brand new. 

Be careful not to get the BLO mix where you do not want it as it is shinny.  I cut up a new white tee shirt around 4" x 5" or so and keep the pieces in a container for staining and oiling.  One shirt will last several years.

page01.jpg

page02.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

lascala1a.jpg.67c48ad0a88548e15f346bcc597700f7.jpg

Mine were filled with wood filler in some gouges, treated with a conditioner, stained with MinWax red mahogany and sprayed with water-based satin polyurethane.  The front edge plies were covered with a 3/4 x 3/4 cherry strip.  Grille's are Klipsch.