Connector on rear of 1983 Heresy?

Dave MacKay

I'll be restoring my new-to-me 1983 Heresy 1 speakers. 

My speakers have rectangular binding post cups to connect the speakers to an amp. Here's a photo (the cup is circled in red) of what I mean:

Cup2.jpg.9e6c8de2f4da208b47b81bab3c4b5ee6.jpg

The cut-outs for the binding post cups are fairly rough, which made me wonder if they might have been installed by a previous owner rather than at the factory. Would binding post cups have been original to the Heresy?

Or would the Heresy have used a barrier block similar to this:

Barrier-block.jpg.38789009532e42c0653931a6cb072d52.jpg

If so, where on the back of the speaker would the barrier block have been located? (I assume it would be centred where the binding post cup is now).

1 hour ago, Dave MacKay said:

Or would the Heresy have used a barrier block similar to this:

Barrier-block.jpg.38789009532e42c0653931a6cb072d52.jpg

If so, where on the back of the speaker would the barrier block have been located? (I assume it would be centred where the binding post cup is now).

Dave ,  this is the original Binding post /barrier strip style for the Heresy 1 - Correct position is about + 2inches  below the center screw of the rear door panel  .

Klipsch Heresy — Polk Audio Forum

• Thanks 2

On 11/16/2022 at 11:37 AM, OO1 said:

Dave ,  this is the original Binding post /barrier strip style for the Heresy 1 - Correct position is about + 2inches  below the center screw of the rear door panel  .

Klipsch Heresy — Polk Audio Forum

@Dave MacKay -- the location of that barrier strip has been all over.  On my 75 Heresy 1, it's towards the top as described above, but off to the right with the label in the middle.  I just picked up a pair of 84 Heresy 1.5 and the barrier strip is located where your binding post cup is.  I can get a pic later tonight.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jcn3 said:

@Dave MacKay -- the location of that barrier strip has been all over.  On my 75 Heresy 1, it's towards the top as described above, but off to the right.  I just picked up a pair of 84 Heresy 1.5 and the barrier strip is located where your binding post cup is.  I can get a pic later tonight.

Thanks.

That fits with what I see on my speakers. There aren’t any screw holes visible at the top of the cabinet backs which supports the idea that the barrier strip would have been located where the cut out was made for the binding posts.

5 hours ago, Dave MacKay said:

Thanks.

That fits with what I see on my speakers. There aren’t any screw holes visible at the top of the cabinet backs which supports the idea that the barrier strip would have been located where the cut out was made for the binding posts.

Do your cabinet backs have the Klipsch labels? The barrier strips might have been on the top and were rotated to have the installed cups toward the bottom.

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

Do your cabinet backs have the Klipsch labels? The barrier strips might have been on the top and were rotated to have the installed cups toward the bottom.

That’s an interesting suggestion.

My speakers only have remnants of the labels remaining. What is there is located towards the upper right-hand corner of the backs. The surviving text is the right way around which would indicate that the backs haven’t been rotated (unless the labels were removed and repositioned).

Apart from the screws, there are no holes — or signs of holes that have been filled —- on the backs. That makes me think that what @jcn3 related about his ‘84 Heresy’s may also be applicable to my ‘83s.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dave MacKay said:

That’s an interesting suggestion.

My speakers only have remnants of the labels remaining. What is there is located towards the upper right-hand corner of the backs. The surviving text is the right way around which would indicate that the backs haven’t been rotated (unless the labels were removed and repositioned).

Apart from the screws, there are no holes — or signs of holes that have been filled —- on the backs. That makes me think that what @jcn3 related about his ‘84 Heresy’s may also be applicable to my ‘83s.

Here is the pic of the backs of my 84s.  Backs are near perfect - this was clearly how it came from the factory. 

20221121-072915.jpg

• Thanks 1