what level to you usually listen at?

Fido

18 minutes ago, CoryGillmore said:

I like 90db with 95db peaks at the listening position. I just tried listening to 40db like OP....that does nothing for me whatsoever. Cornwall IVs. 

Haha I never said that 40 dbs was “plenty loud” for me but my living room is very loud at 65-75 dbs and over 80 db prolonged volume can lead to hearing damage. I’d prefer to avoid that.

Just for clarity when reporting the sound levels people are listening at what are the applied weightings (ie: dB(A), dB(C), dB(Z) and response time (ie: Fast or Slow) of the SPL Meters being used by everyone..?

Other variables that should be considered:

(1) The orientation of the Microphone (ie: are you pointing toward the loudspeaker sources or the ceiling for example).

(2) Placement of the Microphone/Meter (ie: at eye level and arms length or lower and closer to the body or placed on an object like table or ottoman for examples).

All the above can lead to considerable variations in the reported levels listeners are reporting if not consistently applied by everyone.

miketn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

All the above can lead to considerable variations in the reported levels listeners are reporting if not consistently applied by everyone.

miketn

C-weighted / Slow / Mic facing speakers / Eye level / No more than a foot from face

Lemmeknow what the standard should be, please…

1 hour ago, geoff. said:

C-weighted / Slow / Mic facing speakers / Eye level / No more than a foot from face

Lemmeknow what the standard should be, please…

For the purpose of this thread I believe your settings and method are very reasonable and repeatable for others interested in this threads comparison goal.

It might be interesting to see people report C-weighted / in both Fast and Slow mode for comparison as well.

miketn

This REW link has information that helps to understand the differences in SPL meter settings.

https://www.roomeqwizard.com/help/help_en-GB/html/splmeter.html

C weighting covers a wider frequency spectrum than A weighting

Slow weighting gives a more average reading versus Fast weighting.

NOTE: If anyone is using REW you must calibrate the meter for accurate readings

miketn

Here are a couple of screen shots from the link 

4AE3D3B1-DE41-4759-B199-D8431BD1E938.thumb.jpeg.a2f84d783691d36016aa3af4e2ba58de.jpeg

CB734806-06C9-4F77-8B05-2B5EA367C714.thumb.jpeg.e498b53ccadcd8f414c5eb8497c6d2dd.jpeg

F89364DB-E8B0-46DB-B96E-C35D44B45AA3.thumb.jpeg.784b58e109fc691ba003a9d8e4f82173.jpeg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, rebuy said:

huey Lewis.jpg

I agree this is important. I can enjoy music without making myself go deaf. Once you load the speakers where they become dynamic more volume doesn’t make it more enjoyable to me. This thread has been interesting since so many on this Forum listen to their music at over 90 DBs No wonder so many Klipsch posters prefer very large speakers.

2 hours ago, Fido said:

I agree this is important. I can enjoy music without making myself go deaf. Once you load the speakers where they become dynamic more volume doesn’t make it more enjoyable to me. This thread has been interesting since so many on this Forum listen to their music at over 90 DBs No wonder so many Klipsch posters prefer very large speakers.

There are cochlear for this

Hughie has plenty of money and just doesn't care