what level to you usually listen at?

Fido

1 hour ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

Still working fine Even after 40 years of Bands

Do 🚫t believe all the crap you read

My mother in law is almost deaf from not wearing ear protection. This isn't some B$ I have read but if you can listen at 100 DBs for hours upon hours without any hearing damage more power to you. me? I am not willing to take that chance because I don't feel the need to listen that loud. Blast away and enjoy.

• Thanks 1

I am definitely in Fido’s realm with listening levels.  Years ago we had a discussion on here about what I termed the “magic listening level” at which the room contributed little and at which music just seemed right.  I recall that the consensus was that lower levels were considered best.

I have always contrasted my habits with those of “the guy down the road” whom I have spoken of many times.  His usual level is in the 110-115 db range from his CWs.  He is a professional drummer (and retired music teacher).  Amazingly, he isn’t deaf.

The flea power folks I designed amps for all preferred small room, near field, systems and low listening levels as a means of being drawn into the music.

Maynard

• Like 1

I like to simulate live music levels sometimes , and a lot of music is performed pretty loud ,  as far as movie LFE, I like a shotgun blast and exploding grenade to sound as realistic as possible , a peak of  110   db c weight at the listening position will do a really  good job when combined with a good subwoofer and shaker setup , (providing its a really good recording)shakers because 140 to 150 db (actual blast level )isn’t going to happen , (thank goodness). This is with a Khorn pair and Lascala center. Having said this I don’t listen at these levels for  long ,usually  just for a cool movie scene ,or to show off the system 🤓

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fido said:

My mother in law is almost deaf from not wearing ear protection. This isn't some B$ I have read but if you can listen at 100 DBs for hours upon hours without any hearing damage more power to you. me? I am not willing to take that chance because I don't feel the need to listen that loud. Blast away and enjoy.

I agree with this notion. Especially for Klipsch owners, the old adage rings true: "Just because you Can, doesn't mean you Should!"

• Like 1

On 11/20/2022 at 1:25 PM, Fido said:

Haha I never said that 40 dbs was “plenty loud” for me but my living room is very loud at 65-75 dbs and over 80 db prolonged volume can lead to hearing damage. I’d prefer to avoid that.

OSHA used to say 90 db was OK for 8 hours, now they say 85. I'm usually at 83 or less A weighted.

Like Shaky, I use my iPhone and have a NIOSH app to measure at listening position. Most of the time, I generally do not hit 80dB on a continuous basis. That is not to say I don't need to remember why LSIIs are so great and ensure my neighbors know what I am listening to.

Interestingly, I have been listening to a pair of Harbeth C7s with a 300b SET integrated. I find myself listening at about 65 dB (or less) with that combo and find it incredibly satisfying. Those lower levels with that low power amp make those speakers sound their best (to me).

12 hours ago, michaelwjones said:

Like Shaky, I use my iPhone and have a NIOSH app to measure at listening position. Most of the time, I generally do not hit 80dB on a continuous basis. That is not to say I don't need to remember why LSIIs are so great and ensure my neighbors know what I am listening to.

Interestingly, I have been listening to a pair of Harbeth C7s with a 300b SET integrated. I find myself listening at about 65 dB (or less) with that combo and find it incredibly satisfying. Those lower levels with that low power amp make those speakers sound their best (to me).

Every room has it's "sweet spot Listening Position."  Every speaker has it's sweet spot output Level. Every piston engine has it's sweet spot RPM. Every listener driver has it's sweet spot "comfort zone." My biggest complaint is that, with few exceptions, live Concerts are just TOO DAMN LOUD. Europe want to pass a law to limit concert levels to 96 db, which is only hearing damage free for about 2 hours.

10 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Every room has it's "sweet spot Listening Position."  Every speaker has it's sweet spot output Level. Every piston engine has it's sweet spot RPM. Every listener driver has it's sweet spot "comfort zone." My biggest complaint is that, with few exceptions, live Concerts are just TOO DAMN LOUD. Europe want to pass a law to limit concert levels to 96 db, which is only hearing damage free for about 2 hours.

I always try and bring ear plugs to concerts just in case the music is “too damn loud” as Claude would say. I saw The Who 2 weeks ago and they didnt play too loud but the  opening act wasn’t that good and I was glad I had the plugs as they played far too loud for my enjoyment. Crappy music doesn’t sound better by just going louder.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Fido said:

Crappy music doesn’t sound better by just going louder.

True of most Rock players vs. Jazz. Also the WHO was the loudest band in the world, resulting in Pete Townsend's severe hearing loss, just like Ted Nugent, who says: "It was worth it." Maybe for him, but not their audiences!

4 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

OBJECTION

Conclusory Opinion

Unsupported by Fact. 🙄

He said that on the Late Show with David letterman when he was younger. What fact are you referring to? And why do you sound like a lawyer working a trial? If so it's actually funny.

• Like 1

Some people just love to argue on the Internet. I don't care how loud other people listen to music in their home. I was just curious to know how loud most Klipsch Forum participants liked to play their music. Now I know that many like very loud and of course thats cool. Whatever floats your boat! I find myself in the other camp of people that prefer music mostly below 90 DBs at my listening location. Seeing how loud people like listening helps me know where people are coming from on this Forum. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Fido said:

Claude is a funny guy, very talented pro photographer and knows more about speakers than most people will ever know.

It's one of the benefits of starting young (built my first speaker at 12).  I'm still learning more every day. This hobby is full of positive vibrations (referring to music not woofer cone motion). Music unites us all and crosses all cultural boundaries.

• Like 1