what level to you usually listen at?

Fido

6 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

It's one of the benefits of starting young (built my first speaker at 12).  I'm still learning more every day. This hobby is full of positive vibrations (referring to music not woofer cone motion). Music unites us all and crosses all cultural boundaries.

I agree 100% with this. We can differ on much in life but music brings us together if it’s at 50 DBs or 100 DBs. Music is one of my greatest passions.

3C285EEE-2A00-4888-BFB2-C7B73D082C06.jpeg

I don't know if  it's been mentioned but..I've had lots of Klipsch and listening at low volumes never seemed quite full. I may just have sensitivity in some frequency but they always fill out when cranked up. At low volumes I get too little bass and too much highs. Fortunately the older radios with loudness compensation cure that for the most part.  DB all depends of course, 60 to 70 for just me. Above that with friends. As loud as it can go within physics when partying.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

Don’t forget to calibrate the REW SPL Meter for accurate readings…. 🙂

Hi Mike,

I read the link you posted earlier. It said I believe that if you are using the UMIK and it's CAL file you are good to go.

Is that what you read?

E

53 minutes ago, babadono said:

Hi Mike,

I read the link you posted earlier. It said I believe that if you are using the UMIK and it's CAL file you are good to go.

Is that what you read?

E

Hey my friend 🙂

That’s not what I’m reading …..  Yes the UMIK and Soundcard calibration files are used for correction but they don’t provide level calibration. For Level calibration you have to set the meter accuracy against a know accurate SPL Meter or SPL Meter Calibrator….

Also note if any input level changes are made in soundcard preferences you have to recalibrate again.

miketn

023F6CAB-4E8C-44D0-BF5B-904F8549A2A9.jpeg.e4c5896539e13e06b639ae685549173d.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mikebse2a3 said:

Thanks …. Clearly you are correct and I missed reading that. 🙂

I guess I'll wait and see if that message comes up...I know I have used the SPL meter function of REW before but I don't recall if that message came up...Man I'm getting old...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, babadono said:

I guess I'll wait and see if that message comes up...I know I have used the SPL meter function of REW before but I don't recall if that message came up...Man I'm getting old...

Me to 😄.  

Haven’t used REW since last year and now my computer with REW isn’t working so will have to load it on a new computer later when I get time.  

miketn

• Like 1

On 11/20/2022 at 5:37 PM, mikebse2a3 said:

Just for clarity when reporting the sound levels people are listening at what are the applied weightings (ie: dB(A), dB(C), dB(Z) and response time (ie: Fast or Slow) of the SPL Meters being used by everyone..?

Other variables that should be considered:

(1) The orientation of the Microphone (ie: are you pointing toward the loudspeaker sources or the ceiling for example).

(2) Placement of the Microphone/Meter (ie: at eye level and arms length or lower and closer to the body or placed on an object like table or ottoman for examples).

All the above can lead to considerable variations in the reported levels listeners are reporting if not consistently applied by everyone.

miketn

I tend to use db-C, with the mic right in front of my forehead facing the front of the room/in-between the speakers.